Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Monster HTS1000 Power Center for $40

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this on slickdeals:

At 'shop all monster' they have a sale on the HTS1000 PowerCenter (although the site lists is as as HTS159927, it's the same as the 1000).

http://shopallmonster.com/specials.asp

It's apparently an older version, and Monster has a new version on their site now. I called them up and they said the only difference is the new version has a higher joule rating, and the older one doesn't carry an hd signal through the coaxial inputs. I'm not sure how it couldn't carry the hd signal through the coaxial inputs though.

Does anyone have any experience with this surge protector? I'm wondering if it really does clean up noise...
Old 05-25-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was another power center a while ago a bunch got in on, but I don't recall which model.

I am guessing the HD signals are a higher frequency and the filter on the older models is not designed to pass those frequencies (completely).
Old 05-26-06, 12:18 PM

I got this a while ago (2-3 years? for like $110). For me it made no noticeable difference. There was nothing really to complain about in the first place though. I sort of bought it for peace of mind. I run coaxial through it for cable HD and it's no problem, so for $40 I guess it's worth it. I can't say it was a worthwhile investment for me except I can plug everything into 1 strip, until my home gets hit by lightning.

On a side note, I actually found out a year or so later that our cable signal was considered too strong, but since I had it split 3-way it was ok.
Old 05-28-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Zodo:

I have this same exact model. It's fantastic! Prior to installing it I had some electrical problems that I could not track down that killed my TV's power supply, computer's motherboard, VCR, and powered subwoofer (twice) over a two and a half year period. I decided to get rid of the cheesy $20 surg protector and install this device was on my entertainment center. I have no problems to report over last three years and am positive it stopped other surges (e.g. my answer machine died and computer's sub is fried). [Yeah, I'm still debugging the problem].

Anyhow, I paid a pretty penny for it-- $40 bucks is a steal. I'll probably pick up another at this price.
Old 05-28-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I should say the my computer's sub that got fried was an unprotected device.
Old 06-01-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I ordered this the other day b/c of the good reviews from you guys.

The problem is, it just came packaged in a clear plastic bag. It looks new, but just seems REALLY strange that it doesn't come in some sort of retail packaging. Has anyone else run into this?

There was no documentation of any sort either, so I don't know what to plug in where. One side is called 'switched' and has plugs for things like a reciever. The other side is called 'unswitched' and has plugs for TV/VCR/DVD. What does this 'switched' and 'unswitched' mean, and what should I plug in a video game system to?

My main issue is with warranty. There doesn't seem to be any sort of connected equipment warranty associated with it, so if somehow it fails on me I'm screwed.

Should I just send this back, or trust that it'll do me right?

Last edited by Zodo; 06-01-06 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well this should be marked as dead. No longer available.
Old 06-01-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Well this should be marked as dead. No longer available.
Um, it looks like it's still available to me. It's just listed as the Reference PowerCenter™ HTS159927.
Old 06-02-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had one of these for a few years now, still holding up great. Just ordered another, thanks!
Old 06-05-06, 09:53 AM

What does this 'switched' and 'unswitched' mean, and what should I plug in a video game system to?
According to their website these outlets are "optimized" for the corresponding components. Considering a video game console sends a video signal, I would treat it like a DVD player and plug it in on that side.

Their website also lists shopallmonster.com so it would appear they are an authorized retailer. I really don't remember if a warranty card came w/ mine. Their customer service lists "warranty information" so that would probably be your best bet to verify if you're covered:
http://www.monstercable.com/service/
Old 06-05-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Monster Power is the best when it comes to warranty/replacement of items. I had one of my old Sony DVD players get fried. Monster had me take it to one of their service centers (Ultimate Electronics). After a day they called back and told me it was a surge that caused the problem. Within a week I had a check for $1000.00 to replace my DVD player. They do not mess around!
Old 06-07-06, 11:23 AM

Zodo, no worries, that is how mine came also.

One thing, I know this is the best brand for digital filters/surge protectors...but after I plugged in my tv, sat rec, and dvd player my tv would make weird shreaking noises during a movie or tv show.
Old 06-10-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mine came in a consumer packaged box with instructions. It even had different colored stickers for plug labels. But as long as it works for you guys, I guess everything is ok.
Old 06-11-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Zodo
Um, it looks like it's still available to me. It's just listed as the Reference PowerCenter™ HTS159927.
Well, now it for sure seems dead. As neither HTS1000 or HTS159927 seem to be available.
Old 06-11-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lCraZyaZnl

One thing, I know this is the best brand for digital filters/surge protectors...but after I plugged in my tv, sat rec, and dvd player my tv would make weird shreaking noises during a movie or tv show.

That doesn't sound good at all.

I'm really worried about plugging this thing now. It's making me think it's going to do more harm than good.
Old 06-12-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by lCraZyaZnl

Well, you did purchase a monster. Invest in a muzzle.