Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

32" Niko LCD HD ready $699 AR

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Old 02-24-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=N223-3200

Just found this, and hmmmmm.....I may need to buy it. Don't know a lot about quality, but damn, what a price.
Old 02-24-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts
Showing up as $749 AR now (up $50), plus another $40 or so in s/h.

Also, after Googling for this I came across THIS PAGE, which claims that it will give you one free if you participate in their "promotion", where you have to sign up for a total of 15 offers (such as getting/activating/using credit cards, etc). See here for the terms and conditions.
Old 02-24-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Showing up as $749 AR now (up $50), plus another $40 or so in s/h.

Also, after Googling for this I came across THIS PAGE, which claims that it will give you one free if you participate in their "promotion", where you have to sign up for a total of 15 offers (such as getting/activating/using credit cards, etc). See here for the terms and conditions.
Total spammer scum. That's not a physical address, but a commercial mail drop.

Mail Boxes Etc
6542 Hypoluxo Road
Lake Worth, FL 33467
(561) 432-8890

http://www.toastedspam.com/stupid/di...tmail.net_0001
Old 02-24-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmm, I went through a link at gotapex, so maybe they had a special deal set up with tigerdirect.

Shipping is high, unfortunately.
Old 03-07-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Total spammer scum. That's not a physical address, but a commercial mail drop.
Uh huh. I recall a thread about a year ago about this sort of thing. Sign up for a dozen costly deals (well, costly in terms of time lost and impact to your credit rating) -- keep all the receipts -- mail in a request for a form during a ridiculously short window -- fill in and return the form with the receipts -- receive some other form -- fill in and return that one to a third party -- then allegedly get your free dohickey.
Old 03-07-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, I went ahead and took the plunge. The old 27" 4:3 Zenith in the living room was needing replacement, and I was able to get TigerDirect to honor the $799 pre-rebate price. Changing over to LCD is taking some getting used to, though, especially with ghosting that occurs when there's a lot of motion in the image. It was a nice upgrade, especially since the flat LCD takes up less room than the Zenith did while also giving us a bigger, sharper image and in 16:9 to boot.

I like the layout of the connectors on the back. There are 4 sets, with each pair living behind a replacable panel that not only hide the wires but helps route them smartly.

The only thing I wish this had was a way to turn off the screen while letting audio play thru. We frequently tune our DTV receiver to an XM music channel and let it play during dinner or while working around the house. If one disconnects the video signal or run it through a switcher to deny it to a specific input jack, the TV ignores the accompanying audio lines completely and displays a silent blue "no signal" screen. I'm not worried about hurting the LCD by forcing it to display a full-screen black image, but I'd much rather just turn the video portion off altogether and not have to worry about it.
Old 03-15-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still liking it?
Old 03-16-06, 01:11 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ghosting in fast motion scenes? It sounds like a panel with slow response time. The newer panel with faster response time shouldn't show ghosting effects anymore.
Old 03-17-06, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you get what you pay for
Old 03-17-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eau
Ghosting in fast motion scenes? It sounds like a panel with slow response time. The newer panel with faster response time shouldn't show ghosting effects anymore.
The spec response time is 22ms, 11ms gray-to-gray. Both are slow.

22ms is slower than the minimum you'd need to cleanly support the image update rate without ghosting, so there's going to be some frame-to-frame ghosting where some of the rapidly-moving images appear for 2 frames, effectively reducing the update rate for those images by 1/2. It's inappropriate for use as a gaming monitor, that's for certain, but as a family-room TV that's used primarily for kids shows and the occasional network program it's actually not that bad. For movie night, we head down to the Man Cave in the basement and use the 60" Philips.

We got what we paid for.... an inexpensive TV to replace our aging Zenith, that fits in the same entertainment center, that's thin enough to free up room to allow us to reposition it to better use the available space, but that also gave us a larger screen (both in square inches and in aspect ratio). If this were our primary TV, we'd probably have insisted on something with a faster response time, but it's well-suited for how we plan to use it.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 03-17-06 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-17-06, 05:04 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, theoretically, 16.67ms (= 1000/60 ) is the maximum response time that you'll need in order to avoid ghosting, right?