Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

50 pack Playo DVD R $4.94 at Staples 2/19-2/25

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-20-06, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a note on these... they're all but worthless. I picked up a pack of the -R during the black friday event. The first disc I burned @ 8x was unreadable in any drive (stand alone or computer) I had. The next disc was readable, but had horrible errors per Nero CD/DVD Scan. I then burned a disc @ 4x, and it was readable but again had an unacceptable amount of errors. I then burned a TDK @ 8x (max) and a new 16x (max) TDK I had just bought and both of them had far less errors than the 4x burned Playo. I didn't bother trying any more and returned the Playo's.
Old 02-20-06, 06:55 PM

I also picked these up at Black Friday. I've only had a chance to burn one DVD and it worked fine, but it was a photo slideshow - haven't tried a movie yet.
Old 02-20-06, 11:19 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked these up at BF too and I still haven't received the rebate yet
Old 02-21-06, 12:20 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
From what I've read of these I wouldn't use them for any more than a temporary floppy replacement used to move files from one computer to another.
Old 02-23-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some people on videohelp.com and cdfreaks.com report surprisingly good results with the +R discs. I bought a few 50 packs and will keep them after a few successful burns. But yeah, still might not be a good idea to use for important backups.
Old 02-23-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up a pack of these +R's. Every one has burned just fine.

At $5 for 50, I have to give them a
Old 02-23-06, 10:12 PM

I've burned about 20 with no problems so far.
Old 02-24-06, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've read that some people are even getting them for under $2.00 a pack with a $3.00 coupon you can get by turning in old ink cartridges at Staples. $3.00 per cartridge (probably only one at a time, though).
Old 02-24-06, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People having good luck with them right now might want to take another look at them in 6-12 months. These cheapo brands have a tendency to not play at all after a while.
Old 02-24-06, 12:16 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
People having good luck with them right now might want to take another look at them in 6-12 months. These cheapo brands have a tendency to not play at all after a while.
Exactly.

Without scanning for PI/PIF errors and doing a reading speed scan you really don't know what quality of burn you got even if it verifies right afterward. And bad quality burns are indicative of future problems.
Old 02-25-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's totally legit worrying about degradation. But, one guy on CD Freaks who bought these last year did tests on these Playos six months later and showed no signs of any degradation. I guess I'll find out personally down the road.

Last edited by atlantamoi; 02-25-06 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-25-06, 10:35 AM
Cool New Member

I was going to pick some up at our local staples, but they were out, and the guy said they couldn't even order anymore, because the warehouse is completely out as well.
Old 02-25-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I had the same problem with some CD-R's i bought a few years ago. in fact, after a while, the CD's started chipping.
Old 02-25-06, 11:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got some of the +Rs today. I burned 3 of them tonight and they were fine.
Old 02-27-06, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Same here. No problems yet.
Old 03-19-06, 08:30 PM

bad discs, not recognized, unburnable

please do NOT purchase these horrible discs. My HP XP computer almost crashed when i put them in the drive. They are not recognized by it, cannot be burned on, ANYTHING.
When i left the + one in the drive, the computer was unable to boot up when i restarted because of the disc and gave me errors i have never seen about "cdm".

The - (minus) spin forever in the drive and nothing happens. When they are in the drive no folders can be opened, nothing can be accessed.

So they are useless and can't even be burned on, at least not on my computers (I have two). When i looked up help i saw this forum, and joined to warn everyone else. Worst discs yet, i have 100 coaster DVD-R and DVD+R now.
Old 03-20-06, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With the high quality Verbatim DVDs frequently on sale at $15 for 50 why would anyone want to take chances to save a few cents per DVD? My peace of mind is worth far more.
Old 03-20-06, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bluebutterfly
please do NOT purchase these horrible discs. My HP XP computer almost crashed when i put them in the drive. They are not recognized by it, cannot be burned on, ANYTHING.
When i left the + one in the drive, the computer was unable to boot up when i restarted because of the disc and gave me errors i have never seen about "cdm".

The - (minus) spin forever in the drive and nothing happens. When they are in the drive no folders can be opened, nothing can be accessed.

So they are useless and can't even be burned on, at least not on my computers (I have two). When i looked up help i saw this forum, and joined to warn everyone else. Worst discs yet, i have 100 coaster DVD-R and DVD+R now.
Well, I don't know which HP XP computer you have, but I have not had any problems watsoever with these or any other discs I use.
I have a Compaq PC (model #SR1320NX) with 2 DVD burners (the original that came with the computer and an I/O Magic 16X dual format double layer model #IDVD16DD) and they all work fine.
They both burn these discs without problems (only used/bought DVD+R), play under XP Home, on my Philips Divx DVD player and on my Liteon HDD 160GB standalone DVD recorder.
As always it is of course worth it to do a background check to see which manufacturer's discs works with which DVD burners. Most manufacturers aren't too good at updating their own lists, but there are plenty of resources online to find out this to help decide when purchasing new discs.
Btw, I use Sonic Recordnow to burn my DVDs.
Old 03-20-06, 08:25 PM

yeah recordnow came with my computer too. I can check on the version of it if you want. But my Recordnow does not burn mpgs or any other video format.

BTW I finally got ONE DVD-R out of the fifty in the package to burn. The DVD+R do not respond still. I put the burned one in my player and the graphics were jumpy, sound was distorted as well as the picture. Did not have this with the Philips ones I bought.

Any time the rest of the discs are in the drive it says No Disc In Drive, and the discs still hang up my computer. I tested nearly all of them today with same results.

I have HP Windows (XP) 2004 Home Edition and HP Home Edition 2001 by the way.

I have searched for compatibility on the web about several computers/players/discs with no luck. There would have been no way for me to find out prior to buying the discs.
There's nowhere on the cd-r/cd+rs that says may not work on your computer. So as of now they are getting returned for being coasters.
Oh well...
Old 03-21-06, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry to hear about all the problems you're having. I guess it must be pot luck if they work for you or not. I must've gotten lucky.
So it won't burn mpgs? Weird. Mine burns those fine under the data disc tab. I use version 7.22 of Recordnow btw and XP Home Edition 2002.
Well, hopefully you'll get a refund.