Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Looking for a deal & suggestions for a portable DVD player

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Old 01-18-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hi All,

I will be doing some more international travel shortly and am looking for a portable DVD player. Requirements would be:

* LONG Battery life (can play multiple movies)
* Slim
* Light
* Good picture (The screen doesn't have to be that large)

Any suggestions? I've seen them at Costco for < $200 for no name brands. Battery life is most important to me because sometimes I can't plug into the airplane even on trans-atlantic flights.
Old 01-18-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was doing some research on portables several months ago and ended up buying an 8-inch screen Polaroid (which has been just fine so far). It's battery life is only about 2-1/2 to 3 hours, which seems about average.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polar...oductDetail.do

The model with the longest advertised battery life I found was this Panasonic 9-inch which is supposedly 6 hours:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...onics&v=glance

(As a side note, the Polaroid plays PAL discs and can be region hacked.)
Old 01-19-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rkndkn
I was doing some research on portables several months ago and ended up buying an 8-inch screen Polaroid (which has been just fine so far). It's battery life is only about 2-1/2 to 3 hours, which seems about average.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polar...oductDetail.do

The model with the longest advertised battery life I found was this Panasonic 9-inch which is supposedly 6 hours:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...onics&v=glance

(As a side note, the Polaroid plays PAL discs and can be region hacked.)
Thanks for the suggestions - that's unfortunate that they only last 2.5-3 hrs. That's almost 2 movies. I was hoping for something around 10 hours. Guess technology isn't there yet
Old 01-19-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You could always get a cheapy player, and then order an extra battery. I just purchased one yesterday for $100. I believe the battery is only good for 2 -2.5 hrs.
Old 01-19-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, could def do that... just want to make sure it's not that crappy I'd rather spend a bit more to get something that's lighter/slimmer. What's the lightest/slimmest player on the market?
Old 01-19-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know the model number but I remember Panasonic selling one that had a 10 hour battery. That was back at the end of 2004 but if you check out the Panasonic web site you may be able to find it.

Unless they stopped making it and only have the one with the 6 hour battery.
Old 01-19-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I checked their website and they do have a 10hr model HERE however it is $600 bucks! ack.

They have another one HERE for $500 with a 10hr playback as well. Still a bit more than I was willing to pay.
Old 01-19-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
I checked their website and they do have a 10hr model HERE however it is $600 bucks! ack.

They have another one HERE for $500 with a 10hr playback as well. Still a bit more than I was willing to pay.
You can find those for 450 & 300, so they might be in your price range. The cheapy one I got seems to work well. Decent pic and plays DVD-+Rs. Going to be flying this weekend, and got it for my son - he lost the battery for his last player.