Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

New gadget, have I been living under a rock?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-05, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read an article about a new product on the market, the Scooba. It sounds perfect for me because I hate mopping. The article said something about its predecessor, the Roomba vacuum. Have any of you heard of this? I did a search and found tons of references. Have I been living under a rock? I have never heard of this robot cleaner. These gadgets sound great. Anybody else heard of these devices?
Old 06-08-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roomba has been around for a while now. Scooba is new to me.
Old 06-08-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Roomba used to be one of those "As Seen on TV" type items. Been around for many years and they work, but marginally. You're better off with a cheap vacuum.

The Scooba is supposed to be a mop & dry thing. You'll be buying a lot of Clorox product with this and I doubt you'll find it works much on real dirty floors since it has no rinse capabilities. Guess it depends on your definition of "clean".
Old 06-09-05, 01:52 AM

The Roomba is nothing more than your old Bissle diner sweeper --but automated. Over rated and over priced.
Old 06-09-05, 10:52 AM

We use Roomba all the time. It is expensive but it does do a good job. We have a large house and it's nice to know that while we are working in one room, it's working in another. One thing that the roomba has over a hand pushed vacuum is that, due to its small size, it can go places where a normal vacuum can not. I can't wait for the Scooba!
Old 06-09-05, 10:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by medavidson
We use Roomba all the time. It is expensive but it does do a good job. We have a large house and it's nice to know that while we are working in one room, it's working in another. One thing that the roomba has over a hand pushed vacuum is that, due to its small size, it can go places where a normal vacuum can not. I can't wait for the Scooba!
This reads exactly like one of the testimonials on the commericials. Well-played.
Old 06-09-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless your home has only hardwod floors borrow a Dyson or other powerful vacuum sometime and I think you'll be surprised at what your Roomba is missing.
Old 06-09-05, 06:15 PM

One thing that the roomba has over a hand pushed vacuum is that, due to its small size, it can go places where a normal vacuum can not.
That would be the biggest advantage to getting a Roomba for me. A knee injury makes the whole squatting and cleaning thing a little rough on me.
Old 06-09-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they had one that could vacuum, mop and cook me dinner I'd marry it.
Old 06-09-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Walmart has something similar to Roomba, I can't remember the name, but, it's about $80.
Old 06-10-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for making the roomba vac! I have had mine for over a month and it has been the single best thing I have bought since tivo! It was much better than Cats. Me and my wife have a couple of kids and some pets and this thing is incredible. I really believe in your product!! My floors have never been cleaner! I wish you all the success in the world and continued development!! I will be purchasing the Scoomba in the future!!
Old 06-10-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love my roomba too. No more stooping to vacuum under my king size bed. I do have mostly wood floors and it does a nice job. My carpeted room also looks noticeably much better after Roomba. This is one of the best things I have ever purchased.
Old 06-19-05, 07:12 AM

Putting my 2 cents in about the Roomba (although I agree the original post doesn't so innocent). I have had two back surgeries and the Roomba saves me a lot of hassle. Not great on carpet but you would be surprised what is finds that you don't when the once over with even a light Dyson makes you feel like hell.
Old 06-19-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Roomba is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.
Old 06-20-05, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Roomba saved my marriage!!
Old 06-20-05, 10:18 AM

Does anyone take a "new user" seriously with this straight out of the ad BS? But wait!!! There's more!

On a more serious note...

Roomba works fine for my gf's carpeted 1 BR apartment when used about 1x /wk.

A similar mopping product sounds like a waste of $$$ though.
Old 06-20-05, 11:52 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Zedsed
Does anyone take a "new user" seriously with this straight out of the ad BS? But wait!!! There's more!
Seems another forum considered his post spam as well.
Old 06-21-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
iRobot Inc., when you pay an intern to do your "Grass Roots" marketing, you get $8/hr results.
Old 06-24-05, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by m_toyman
The Roomba is nothing more than your old Bissle diner sweeper --but automated. Over rated and over priced.

I said it once and will say it again. It is a sweeper--all of you who say you love it --GO BUY A DYSON and you will see what your little "awsome little buddy" MISSES!!
Old 06-24-05, 09:42 AM

Meh. Sour Grapes. When I re-read my post, I laughed too. It does sound like an infomercial. But -- whatever! The deal w/ Roomba is that if you have light work that needs to be done, it's a good deal. It's also a good deal to do pre-mopping and getting into weird spaces. It's not trying to compete with the Dyson. Wait... Dyson ... Dyson ... where have I heard that name before? Sounds familiar. Isn't he the guy that develops the neural network that powers skynet! Good Lord!!!

... and that's the way it happened. On June 24, 2005, at 9:40 am, Skynet went active and the machines began their takeover...

Old 06-24-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love my Roomba because it does a great job of getting the cat hair under all my furniture. It is expensive, but worth it if you are lazy and don't want to sweep/vaccuum all the time and have pets shedding all over the place. I have hardwood floors, btw. I'ts not as useful if you have carpet.