Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Buying soda online?

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Buying soda online?

Old 03-25-05, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying soda online?

Have you ever moved and couldn't find one of your favorite sodas? I love Diet Squit in cans. Ever since I've left the West coast I can't find it. So I froogle it the other day and found a place that will ship it. A case is under $10. Trouble is shipping is $26.

Of coure the main reason for that is weight, water is heavy. Has anyone found a cheaper way to do this?
Old 03-25-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
Have you ever moved and couldn't find one of your favorite sodas? I love Diet Squit in cans. Ever since I've left the West coast I can't find it. So I froogle it the other day and found a place that will ship it. A case is under $10. Trouble is shipping is $26.

Of coure the main reason for that is weight, water is heavy. Has anyone found a cheaper way to do this?
Check with a large supermarket in your area. Their vendors ( Coke, Pepsi, Rpyal Crown, etc.) can special order most items for you. If one supermarket chain can't accept an order for it, others still will.
Old 03-25-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

shipping will kill you every time. when I tried to order a case of moxie (for 26 bones) shipping would have been 60.
Old 03-25-05, 11:21 AM

Checking to see if the store will do special orders is a good idea. Will give it a try.
Old 03-25-05, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
shipping will kill you every time. when I tried to order a case of moxie (for 26 bones) shipping would have been 60.
Hey, I can't find Moxie at a supermarket but there is a chain of stores called World Market that stocks them sometimes. World Market primarily sells furniture from around the world, wines, candies and cookies from around the world and some, some, obscure bottled soda.

there is also a chain of stores that specialize in soda that is hard to find but I do not know the name of it as it is a few cities over but there are some.
There is a place online you can get Dr. Pepper made with pure cane sugar, tastes like it used to.
Old 03-25-05, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by battlingbutler
There is a place online you can get Dr. Pepper made with pure cane sugar, tastes like it used to.
I found this place Old Doc's Soda Shop that still sells the pure cane sugar DP. Pretty reasonable too, a 24 pack of 12oz cans, $15.00 shipped, or a 24 pack of 8ox glass bottles for $21.50 shipped. Would make a great gift for someone if you didn't care about spoiling them for the corn syrup stuff!

I remember about 8 years ago, one of the last Pepsi/DP bottlers in Michigan to use cane sugar closed down. I bought an 8pack each in glass bottles of Pepsi and Dr. Pepper (drank them of course!) Good times.....
Old 03-25-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Galco's in L.A.,they carry pretty much any soda you could imagine.
Old 03-25-05, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by SRGilbert
I found this place Old Doc's Soda Shop that still sells the pure cane sugar DP. Pretty reasonable too, a 24 pack of 12oz cans, $15.00 shipped, or a 24 pack of 8ox glass bottles for $21.50 shipped. Would make a great gift for someone if you didn't care about spoiling them for the corn syrup stuff!
Yes, it is good - sweet. I have ordered from them and even visited the place (in Texas - small town called Dublin - recently Fall 2004 had 113th year celebration). This is the original DP formula that was used prior to WW2 when sugar was extremely expensive and all the soda companies had to change over to corn syrup, being cheaper. They only sell it in stores in a 40 mile radius around the town and online. Also they bottle the sugar cane DP there in Dublin with the same machinery used for decades. Very interesting tour too, including the memorabilia museum. You can go to www.dublindrpepper.com for more info as well.

Last edited by forumsmy; 03-25-05 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-26-05, 09:36 AM

Hey, I can't find Moxie at a supermarket but there is a chain of stores called World Market that stocks them sometimes. World Market primarily sells furniture from around the world, wines, candies and cookies from around the world and some, some, obscure bottled soda.
There's a World Market near me but they don't carry Diet Squirt. If Publix won't do a special order, I guess I can check with them.
Old 03-26-05, 10:40 AM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by SRGilbert
It's $15 or $21.50 before shipping. Cheapest shipping to FL for a case of cans was $11.30.
Old 03-26-05, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by videophile
It's $15 or $21.50 before shipping. Cheapest shipping to FL for a case of cans was $11.30.
But no diet squirt.
Old 03-26-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I work for publix. Make sure ya got to Customer Service and ask for the Grocery manager. He won't really order it as much as tell the vendor to bring some. Our Coke vendor comes every morning so it should take too long to get it. And make sure its the grocery manager or assistant manager, the customer service folks are normally useless.
Old 03-26-05, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Decadance
I work for publix. Make sure ya got to Customer Service and ask for the Grocery manager. He won't really order it as much as tell the vendor to bring some. Our Coke vendor comes every morning so it should take too long to get it. And make sure its the grocery manager or assistant manager, the customer service folks are normally useless.
Thanks for the pointers. I'll make sure I get the grocery or assistant manager. Will the vendor usually have something that isn't normally sold in the region? The furthest East I've seen Diet Squirt was in Snowmass, CO on a skiing vacation.
Old 03-26-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by forumsmy
This is the original DP formula that was used prior to WW2 when sugar was extremely expensive and all the soda companies had to change over to corn syrup, being cheaper. They only sell it in stores in a 40 mile radius around the town and online.
That's not necessarily complete information.

Here in Austin, which is well more than 40 miles from Dublin, the HEB Central Market grocery store (an upscale store with many specialty items) has been selling it for a while, but I believe the cost is about $6-7 per 6 pack for the smaller bottles. And recently the "Rudy's BBQ" locations here in town (don't know about other locations like in San Antonio, etc.) have been carrying it as well, but at a cost of $1.50 per bottle (I got a couple for my wife for Valentine's Day).

I've had a friend cruise through Dublin and bring back several cases (we got like 3 of them) in can form. However, imho, this is best from bottles. Maybe I'm just a purist.

Try crazy expensive, but I shipped 2 20 oz. bottles of Big Red to a buddy in England once (along with some GS cookies) after he moved back. I'm thinking it probably added a few bucks to the shipping cost.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 03-26-05 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-26-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's not just the shipping cost that'll kill ya---I'm sure the carbonation levels alone could level a city block.
Old 03-26-05, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
That's not necessarily complete information.

Here in Austin, which is well more than 40 miles from Dublin, the HEB Central Market grocery store (an upscale store with many specialty items) has been selling it for a while, but I believe the cost is about $6-7 per 6 pack for the smaller bottles. And recently the "Rudy's BBQ" locations here in town (don't know about other locations like in San Antonio, etc.) have been carrying it as well, but at a cost of $1.50 per bottle (I got a couple for my wife for Valentine's Day).
Thanks - did not know that, only going by what I was told by someone in Dublin -- I will have to check those stores out when I am near one.
Old 03-26-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How come no one ever uses Google? Your diet squirt info!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/drsoda/dietsquirt1.html
Old 03-26-05, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
How come no one ever uses Google? Your diet squirt info!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/drsoda/dietsquirt1.html
If you'll look at the very first post, I mentioned I froogled it and found this very company your link points to (though I didn't mention them by name). I also mentioned the shipping makes it prohibitive.
Old 03-26-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hadn't considered that. If thats the case, it may take a while but at least the shipping will be free.
Old 03-26-05, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by videophile
My mistake, that $5 is for the "packaging" whatever the hell that means. Shipping to Michigan was over $13!
Old 03-27-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I second the advice of getting ahold of the grocery or assistant manager, as they are the ones in charge of ordering things in(I am a grocery manager , not for publix, but yeah)

Diet Squirt is one of the "weird" sodas that no one in particular is responsible for. There are about 20 of them I can think of, off the top of my head that don't get distributed by the same company. Dr Pepper is actually one of them. In some areas, pepsi sells it, in others, coke does it. Jolt is the same way. So is A/W and Canada Dry just to name a few.
Old 03-27-05, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderball
Diet Squirt is one of the "weird" sodas that no one in particular is responsible for. There are about 20 of them I can think of, off the top of my head that don't get distributed by the same company. Dr Pepper is actually one of them. In some areas, pepsi sells it, in others, coke does it. Jolt is the same way. So is A/W and Canada Dry just to name a few.
When I last found it I think I saw pepsi somewhere on the can, so I assumed they made it. So that's not necessarily true?
Old 03-28-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Diet Squirt is all over the place here. I doubt I could save you much on shipping if I mailed you some though... it is heavy...
Old 03-28-05, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by JP5683
Diet Squirt is all over the place here. I doubt I could save you much on shipping if I mailed you some though... it is heavy...
Thanks for the thought, but the shipping would be as much or more as what I found online. I imagine a business can negotiate a better rate than a individual customer.
Old 03-28-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

there is also a chain of stores that specialize in soda that is hard to find but I do not know the name of it as it is a few cities over but there are some.

there's a world market near where I work. I've been in there before and noticed the huge stash of micro-brew beer and soda but didn't think to check world market. i'll go today. thanks for the tip.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.