Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

I need printer ink, where is the cheapest?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

I need printer ink, where is the cheapest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 12:46 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an old Epson 880 and 3rd party inks totally screwed it up for quite a while (still some streaking here and there sometimes). I bought from carrot as they got some good reviews, yet now I only buy Epson branded ink and I get my prices from http://www.dealink.com
Old 03-23-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Wow, that is beyond cool! Make sure you tell us how it works when you get it! And post some more pics if you can... I'm still a little puzzled on how that thing fits together (I've got an R300 too, so I'm very interested...)

I'm still waiting on it but I'll post my experience when I get it all setup and everything. I found a lot of pics on a site somewhere. I think I have the link somewhere, I'll post it if I do.
Old 04-06-05, 11:40 AM

Based on what I heard here, I just ordered from 123inkjets.com
I found coupon code: "April2005"
Which gives: 15% off AND free shipping.
I got 10 black/5 color cartridges for ~$32 shipped (priority mail).

Seems like a good deal.... no idea how I'm going to use all that ink tho.
Just recommending the promo code.
Old 04-06-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Layne
I have an old Epson 880 and 3rd party inks totally screwed it up for quite a while (still some streaking here and there sometimes). I bought from carrot as they got some good reviews, yet now I only buy Epson branded ink and I get my prices from http://www.dealink.com
That is why I'm afraid to use generic ink in my photo printer. I've seen some online comparisons, and while generic looks decent, and it does not look AS GOOD. It appears that Staples has the best deal on INK (or CostCo) for Epson brand ink.
Old 04-07-05, 08:57 AM

There was an article in the Jacksonville, FL paper about a franchise chain called Cartiridge World. You take you print cartidges in and they clean and refill them. The paper did not attempt to evaluate the quality but talked to the editor the "Hard Copy Supplies Journal" who said that 3rd party ink can't stack up to the OEM stuff.

He went on to say the remanufactured cartirdges from places like Office Depot are probably better than the walk-in refillers because they use more sophisticated equipment.

Anyone use a walk-in refiller or heard of Cartidge World?
Old 04-07-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I've never used them, but I've heard ads on the radio for Cartridge World or Ink World or something, a walk-in refiller. Those kind of frighten me, plus, could they be any cheaper than places like 123inkjets? [at least for the stuff I buy].
I agree the quality of the remanufactured ones might not be up to par as OEM--but they are surely greater than 1/6th as good, for 1/6th the price, and for what I do [print directions, address labels, postage, lists] they work just fine. I wouldn't print 8x11 wedding pictures with them. Then again, some of them are so cheap, try them for pics, if they don't work well, use them just for text and save the expensive stuff for the good stuff.
Old 04-07-05, 02:21 PM

I have no idea how good Cartridge World is, so I'm just mentioning them to see if anyone is familiar with them. I'm wondering why a walk-in would be worse than 123inkjets and other online outfits?
Old 04-07-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by namlook
My recommendation is: http://private.abacus24-7.com/

I get Canon black cartridges for $1.25 and color for $1.75. My experience has been that quality is very good. A place like carrot ink charges $4.50 and $8.95 for the same cartridges while Swift charges $3.95 and $5.95. That's like 300-400% more expensive. Maybe the ink is better in some way at the pricer places but the quality of the Abacus ink looks good to me.

The kicker is Abacus warranty the cartridges for a year and will give a refund for any purchase for up to a year.

"If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with your Abacus 24-7 purchase, you may return it within 1 year for a replacement or, or if you prefer, full refund."

This company is also a member of the BBB and has no complaints while they have been members since May 2001.
I'll second this company! I ordered based upon this thread & am very pleased.

I ordered carts for my Dad's Epson R200- got full set of 6, all colors & black for $16.95. I also ordered a color cart for my HP 5550 for only $17.90. Shipping was $4.95 & I received them in two days.

Can't tell any difference in the quality of these & OEM (except better price)!

Sonic
Old 04-11-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll chip in and say Abacus is pretty good, too. I ordered from them the other day based on word of mouth here, and their prices seemed too good to pass up. I have the Canon i950 printer and didn't care for paying about $12 per ink cartridge, even if it is on a semi-regular basis. For a few dollars more, that got me two of each color (including black).

I printed up around 50 photos with the new ink and the results have been pretty good. So far, no streaking, no clogging of printheads, or any noticeable performance drop. I couldn't tell the difference between photos printed with the regular Canon ink or the generic one. The really high resolution photos yielded very crisp looking images.
Old 08-03-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, any new places to get ink? Is ABCink any good? I still haven't tried generic ink, but I'll be using it to print photos and printable CD's/DVD's
Old 08-04-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by namlook
My recommendation is: http://private.abacus24-7.com/

This company is also a member of the BBB and has no complaints while they have been members since May 2001.
I print photos every day - I've tried, Carrot ink (which is way overpriced), 123, Megatoners, CheapInk, InkDaddy. All those inks caused major problems in my epson printer and then my canon.

I only use Abacus Ink now. It is not only cheap, but it doesn't have the clogging problems other cheap inks have. The ship pretty fast too.
Old 08-04-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks....maybe I'll try that. A 6-pack is $16.xx for me....not too bad. Almost seems TOO good to be true
Old 08-04-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Thanks....maybe I'll try that. A 6-pack is $16.xx for me....not too bad. Almost seems TOO good to be true
I've bought from them after seeing this thread earlier this year. The ink was for an HP DeskJet printer. It works great.

I sometimes wish they would issue a free shipping coupon. Man I hate paying for shipping, even for cheaply priced, high-quality ink.
Old 08-11-05, 11:10 AM

Has anyone used Inkpool? Here's their linky. I've never bought third party inks so I don't know anything about them.
Old 08-11-05, 12:44 PM

I just went thru this whole thread and the following is my summary of it. Will it be ok if I post this on fatwallet too, or would that be a no, no? Abacus has received the most positive feedback. There were no negative comments about them either.

BTW, has anybody bought 3rd party inks for the Epson R800/R1800?

123inkjets.com
never had a problem. Speedy delivery
welcome-5% off
save10-10% off for $50+
April2005-15% off & free shippin g

eforcity on ebay
inks work well, great value. Try Xmas04 for $5 off 20
two weeks to ship

Original inks
pricegrabber or froogle

myprintpal-quality subpar, couple cartridges wouldn't work

meritline

carrotink.com
used in epsons for years with a problem. Great ink & service
priced slightly higher than most
on average they have higher quality

inkdaddy.com
photo printing with no problems
check if daddy40 is valid
13 ml compatible cartides are $10
prompt deliver

swiftink.com
on average they have higher quality

private.abacus24-7.com
*Only sells a black and color 8 pack for $39 for R800/R1800
Quality is very good, costs less than carrot ink
warranties the cartidges for a year and will give refund for up to a year
Second vote. Received quickly
Abascus is pretty good too. Printed around 50 photos and results are pretty good.
Really high resolutions photos yielded very crisp looking images.
I use only Abacus, others caused problems in my epson printer and my canon.
Abacus doesn't clog.

dealink.com
links to other stores for cartridges

Staples
Has best deal on Epson ink, also Costco

Last edited by jack999; 08-11-05 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-19-05, 02:39 PM

Anyone had any experience with Ink4Art ?
Old 08-19-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

About how much was the shipping and method from Abascus? Zip it was shipping to?
I don't like entering all that personal/cc info just to get a estimate on shipping...

Thanks
Old 08-19-05, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
About how much was the shipping and method from Abascus? Zip it was shipping to?
I don't like entering all that personal/cc info just to get a estimate on shipping...

Thanks
Shipping is $4.95 for ground

It's about $12 for 2nd day air...
Old 08-20-05, 11:19 AM

http://www.inkquik.com/ great prices and fast and cheap del
Old 08-20-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by jack999
Anyone had any experience with Ink4Art ?
I've ordered from them for the past year or so for Canon ink. I have an i860...

Their ink is comparable to 123inkjets, which I used to get for my old (now dead) epson c82. I've printed a bunch of pictures, and they all come out quite good - provided you use good paper. On some real cheap photopaper, it looked like absolute crap. but you could be using a dye-sub printer and cheap photopaper would ruin the picture.

in4art has a 40% off coupon right now...code is EMPLOYEE. I think it's good until august 28th or something, as I deleted the email.

I just ordered a new pack of ink from them - one of their 12 cart value packs, and one of the 4 black value packs - a total of 16 carts for $33 shipped - you can't beat that with a stick.

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 08-20-05 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-20-05, 09:39 PM

Count my vote for Abacus as well,

Cheap and good quality and never a problem after almost a year of regular orders.

Ink sometimes cheaper on eBay, but you take more of a chance on what you'll end up with
Old 05-29-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wanted to revive this thread, wondering if any new deals are around for ink. Need HP 56/57/58, it is nearly cheaper to buy a new printer!

Thanks!
Old 05-29-07, 10:07 AM

I always buy ink cartridges on ebay. I usually only pay half of retail prices.
Old 05-29-07, 01:21 PM
Cool New Member

carrot ink messed up my Epson a while back. I forget the model, yet it streaked and fouled up the nozzles badly. I use http://dealink.com for manufacturer inks.