Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Coffee Pod Brewers

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Coffee Pod Brewers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-05, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coffee Pod Brewers

Does any one know of a good brewer or where I can get a deal on a good Pod Brewer.

Thanks
Old 01-24-05, 09:52 AM

i'll say it since no one else has yet. PLEASE INCLUDE QUESTION MARKS IN YOUR POST!!
Old 01-24-05, 10:52 AM

I have a Senseo and I dig it. They did have a 20 dollar rebate on their site in December but I am not certain if it is still being offered or not.
Old 01-24-05, 11:54 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another vote for the Senseo... Order it on Amazon and use the rebate - if it's still there...
Old 01-24-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I was just at Target yesterday, and their Pod machines and coffee were 50% off. I think the brewer was down to $29.99. Not sure what brand it was, though.
Old 01-24-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by joeblow69
I was just at Target yesterday, and their Pod machines and coffee were 50% off. I think the brewer was down to $29.99. Not sure what brand it was, though.
For what it's worth, those are Juan Valdez brand.
Old 01-25-05, 09:43 PM

does any of them make a large cup of coffee
Old 01-25-05, 09:57 PM

Senseo makes either a 4oz or 8oz cup of coffee.
Old 01-25-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormfront13
Senseo makes either a 4oz or 8oz cup of coffee.
The one from Target does also. Makes a pretty decent cup of joe!
Old 01-25-05, 11:11 PM

I picked up a Mallita (sp?) brand pod brewer from Bartell Drugs for $10.50. It makes a 5 or 8 oz cup. I tried it and it actually tasted pretty good. It took a little longer than advertised though (had to wait for the water to heat up THEN push the button to get the coffee brewing...

I don't know why the brewer was marked down. It may have been considered a holiday item.
Old 07-14-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
If anyone is interested, Target again has the JV brand Pod Brewer for $29 (reg. $59.99). This is good thru Saturday, I believe. I signed up for the free coffee pods long ago, but never got the pod brewer until now. Trying my first cup now...it seems okay (and much easier than brewing a whole or half pot and dumping a bunch out).

Even though the JV brewer uses the smaller pods, I used one of my free Maxwell House pods (made for Senseo...the bigger pods) just fine. I just made sure the pod was completely smushed into the pod holder.
Old 07-14-05, 11:36 AM

I read a few reviews on these types of brewers that said it took a decent amount of time to actually set up the machine each time to brew a cup. Is this true? I'd like to get one of these, as I'm the only one in the house that drinks coffee.
Old 07-14-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
So are these pods here to stay? I was hesitant about getting one on clearance at Target because my fear is, in a year or so they won't be making them anymore, and I'll have a worthless appliance...
Old 07-14-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a melitta one, any place you can get cheap replacement pods instead of the melitta brand ones?
Old 07-19-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
I read a few reviews on these types of brewers that said it took a decent amount of time to actually set up the machine each time to brew a cup. Is this true? I'd like to get one of these, as I'm the only one in the house that drinks coffee.
It takes like a minute or so to heat up the water and maybe another minute or so to spit out the coffee. I haven't actually timed it, but it seems to be a couple minutes total. Not that bad for me. What kind of stinks though, at least on the JV brand, is that you turn on the power, then wait for the water to heat, then you push the brew button.
Old 07-20-05, 08:21 PM

I recently got a Keurig system and it is great. Very easy to use. Almost zero set-up and clean-up for each use. They are more expensive, however.
Old 07-21-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the Keurig the one with those plastic cups? Those su... um, they really are not good at all. The coffee is lousy, and the amount of storage space required for those dumb cups is ridiculous. And the price.... We added those machines to our workplace, ordering different varietiess all the time, and every single one I tried gave a stale, weak cup of "coffee." From 3 different machines. (Thank goodness we kept the commercial drip pots and 'bucks and green mountain coffee!)

Keurig - NOT recommended! (for anyone who likes coffee)

As for the pods, it is easy to use your favorite coffee in them. I believe I posted how in another thread here a while back, but basically all you gotta do is put a 3" or 3.5" paper basket filter onto the pod holder, add the right amount of coffee onto the middle, then fold the sides over the top. Work the coffee around a bit with your thumbs to even it out (don't press down hard) and it will work like a charm. After 1 or 2 tries, you'll know exactly how much coffee to add to form a 'pod' of the right size.

And the pod machines make really nice coffee.
Old 07-21-05, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
So are these pods here to stay? I was hesitant about getting one on clearance at Target because my fear is, in a year or so they won't be making them anymore, and I'll have a worthless appliance...
That is certainly a valid concern. Although I don't have one (I missed the deals and can't bring myself to pay full price for the Senseo) you can get reusable pods so you aren't stuck with the proprietary ones. There is supposedly an increased chance of vapor lock (have to wait till vacuum dissipates in order to open the unit), and it kind of defeats the purpose of simple brewing, but then again you can use whatever coffee suits your taste, and you can use fresh. Check here. If you'd rather make your own, check here.
Old 07-22-05, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Your second link is prettty much what I described above. But you don't need the measuring cup or jar. Just form the pod using filter paper right in the pod holder. It doesn't have to be 'compacted' and works great every time.
Old 07-23-05, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by drmoze
Keurig - NOT recommended! (for anyone who likes coffee)
Drmoze - Well, I certainly can't argue with *your* impression of the Keurig in your office. Our experience is different.
Yes, the cups take up some more space but if you are not going through a huge amount of coffee this is a very minor issue. In your case of an office application it may be more of a concern.

If you like the Green Mountain coffee (I do as well) did you try the GMCR K-cups? It sounds like you are a 'strong coffee' guy and that may be an issue unless you find exactly the right type.

Personally I am not a "fanatic" about my coffee but a good friend of mine is. He *loves* his Keurig. All his coffee comes from GMCR and he has no complaints. Of course, he also makes pots of coffee as well as single use as needed.

On a side note - We had been looking for one of thoose in-sink "instant hot" dispensers that we could use for coffee, tea, and other use when really hot water is needed. The cost of thoose gets to be pretty high. Plus you typically want to have that water filtered which adds to the expense. We decided that the Keurig (or other brand) would serve that purpose fine without the added expense or a permanant installation. I use the K-cups to make coffee and my wife uses it empty as a hot water dispenser for her special teas, etc. (You can get tea in K-cups but not what we like).

Just some more input for those in similar situations.
Old 07-23-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I admit I did *want* to like the Keurig. We have lots of brands at work (about 10-12) plus 3-4 teas. The teas are pretty good--no complaints there. I did try most of the coffees, incl. Green Mountain (did not try the hazlenut or decaf tho--not a fan!). And none of them, alas, tasted 'rich' or 'full' (which doesn't necessarily have to be 'strong'). Every type I tried tasted 'thin' and a bit weak/stale, even when I reduced the amount of water by hitting the start button a second time. I imagine with the quantity the office goes thru, that our supply would be fresh. (Shipments come in at least twice weekly.)

Objectively, a lot of other people in the office do use and like it, even with regular (and better-than-typical-office-quality!) coffee nearby. Even if the 'variety' is factored out, a lot of people like the Keurig coffee and choose to drink it.

So, I guess I would have to suggest that anyone considering this system should try it first. (Pretty mundane general advice!)

I tried the pod machines first and really like that coffee, both the Douwe-Egberts coffee and the homemade ones. Yet a friend of mine who also likes coffee does not like the pod system's product. Go figure...

I still maintain that everyone should have the same tastes and preferences as I do! $^)

Last edited by drmoze; 07-24-05 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-24-05, 03:37 PM

Well, I admit I did *want* to like the Keurig. ....snip....
Thanks - Very fair follow-up to your first post.

Which Keurig system do you have? I have the B100 and there may be a difference there. Also, do you use filtered water with the Keurig and/or with your standard 'pot' method? There could be a difference there as well.

After your post I did some more surfing and found an interesting website (Single Serve Coffee.com ) that did a review of the Keurig B100 and includes some comaprisions to Senseo. Some of your observations regarding storage space, size, cost were mentioned here. They also noted differences in the coffee brands and suggest Van Houtte Dark Roast might be more to your liking than GMCR. (Have you tried that one?) They also had good things to say about "Green Mountain's Extra Bold Sumatran Reserve K-Cups" in another review.

My favorite part of the review described the sound made by the B100 during the despense cycle as "A muffled duck somehow trapped inside the coffee maker is making a cry for help"

I still maintain that everyone should have the same tastes and preferences as I do! $^)
Agreed!

Last edited by photo_guy; 07-24-05 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-24-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Our Keurigs are commercial units. They're big square things, with a side hot-water tap, and the cups are dumped into an internal container after use. There's an in-line filter on each. The commercial drip makers are the basket types where you pour water in the top (we use filtered water from a tap filter).

Tried one dark raost, forget which brand, still tasted 'thin.' Don't think I've had the Sumatra. And I've heard the duck!