Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Looking for the best deal on a dyson vacuum...

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Looking for the best deal on a dyson vacuum...

Old 04-21-05, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI,
After researching some more, I found articles that said though the dyson is a good machine, there are comparable machines that sell for less. This is per consumer reports. I also found another article that says, Dyson's are more likely to break down, but this was a UK article. Judge for yourself...

No mention on longevity of Dyson's though. Can any current long term owners comment on this? I'm still within my 30 days w/ Best Buy.
TIA
Old 04-22-05, 07:21 AM

It was about a year ago that I purchased and returned the Dyson...

I can say that the Hoover Wind Tunnel Canister we purchased is still going strong... It continues to pull up every cat hair it even comes close to, not to mention the dirt from deep within the carpet...

The Dyson we had didn't even come close...

I have seen the Hoover Canister at Costco for a really good price... Wish I would have seen it there before I got mine from best Buy!
Old 04-22-05, 07:25 AM

BTW, on everyone saying the Dyson is sooo good and has such great suction... It was a friend of ours who convinced us to buy the Dyson... She praised it up and down... She lives an hour away from us, so we did not see her Dyson in action before we purchased ours...

Well, since we returned our Dyson and got the Hoover Canister, she has come over and given it a try... She cannot believe how much better our Hoover is than her $500+ Dyson...
Old 04-22-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have used many vacuums over the years. The Dyson I bought last year is absolutely great and beats all others I owned including Hoovers.

I think the only things that might beat a Dyson are those $1000 + vacuum systems. I've seen those in action and was impressed.
Old 04-22-05, 09:10 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I hate hearing those negative reviews. The main thing I liked about the Dyson was not having to clean the filter. I have a bagless older hoover now. It does a great job, but I'm allergic to dust so it kills me when I have to clean it. I usually just do it once a month or so, and just take it out to the dumpster and bang the filter on the inside of it until all the dust is out, and try to stand so it's not blowing back on me.
Old 04-22-05, 10:45 AM

I actually use my old vaccume to clean the filter on the Hoover when it needs it... Not a spec of dust flys around doing it like that...

Yes... I have a vaccum to clean my vaccum!

=)
Old 04-22-05, 11:01 AM
Retired

That's a good idea, unfortunately I only have one vacuum. My old one broke, which was why I bought the Hoover a few years ago.
Old 04-22-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Man, I hate hearing those negative reviews. The main thing I liked about the Dyson was not having to clean the filter. I have a bagless older hoover now. It does a great job, but I'm allergic to dust so it kills me when I have to clean it. I usually just do it once a month or so, and just take it out to the dumpster and bang the filter on the inside of it until all the dust is out, and try to stand so it's not blowing back on me.
My wife is the same way. The dyson is actually really good for this. The canister comes off, you hit a release trigger on top, and the bottom flaps open. It really keeps dust to a minimum.

I am surprised by the negative reviews as well. We've used ours for months now, and the thing is amazing. We had a very good Hoover before, and used it for the test. Went over everything with the Hoover, then again with the dyson, and it was amazing what the hoover didn't pick up.

I am not impressed with it on our berber carpet, but that is only in the Man Room.
Old 04-23-05, 02:06 PM

For those who have

the Hoover Windtunnel Cannister. Which model is it? I want a dyson but i cant afford it right now so thought i would try the Hoover. THanks for any info you can give me.
Old 04-26-05, 09:56 PM

Got my Dyson from Heartland America today. Took 6 days from order to receiving via FedEx ground. Couldn't be happier with the Dyson or Heartland America. Considering this is a refurb unit...it looks new to me and it works. Cat hair? GONE!!! Not kinda gone...not sorta gone. GONE!! I'm a believer. Gonna go pick one up for my parents cause they have 2 dogs that shed a lot. Might go with the model that has more attachments for my parents.
Old 04-30-05, 12:34 PM

I recently picked up the Dyson DC14 (for cat hair). Wow what a difference this thing made after using it for the first time. One room filled the whole canister and I was shocked how much was in the carpet. The best news of this story is my wife had a 20% off coupon for Linens n Things and we got to use it on the Dyson DC14 (purple model). Then the lady at the cash register asked if we had a Linens n Things credit card. My wife said no we don't what's so good about it? The lady at the cash register said we could save another 10% off bringing our total to 30% off of a $499.99 item. So, we got out of the store with the Dyson DC14 for $393.81 total. They did not offer a extended warrenty but, we have 60 days if anything goes wrong and 2 years with Dyson. I am very pleased with our purchase. I hope this helps others.
Old 05-01-05, 04:34 PM

Dyson

I purchased a Dyson about 1 year ago from www.abcvacuumwarehouse.com . I purchases the DC07 (Scarlet/ Purple) which is the same as the DC07 (Yellow) but it comes with the low reach floor tool which is perfect for cleaning under beds and furniture. They list it for $299 however I e-mailed them and was able to work out a deal for $280 shipped to Michigan!!! I love mine and would not use anything else!
Old 10-22-05, 08:43 AM

Home Depot have these on clearance at the moment, 30% off. My local HD (95th and Pulaski in Chicago) had about 9 of the DC07 reduced from $399 to $279.

This thread has been around for the longest time, so I thought I'd update for anyone who is *still* waiting for that killer deal!
Old 11-18-05, 07:34 AM

I receved an email from Linens-N-Things today promoting Dyson Vacuums with 20% off one item valid on-line only. Enter 9425 under "using a promotional code during checkout?" . Offer end 11/23/05.

One note says - Save shipping fees, buy on-line and pick-up in store.

There is also an offer by mail to receive a free toy Dyson with any Dyson purchase which ends 11/28/05.

This appears to be one time when they are specifically not excluding Dyson like in their 20% off any single item coupons.
Old 05-07-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In January, I went to a vacuum store in the area. I got a nice demonstration on Dyson as well as other vacuums like Simplicity and Royal. The salesman was very knowledgable and gave a great demonstration that took 30 minutes. The Dyson really doesn't have great suction power across the full length of the beater brush. It also doesn't agitate the dirt out of the carpet very well. I ended up buying a Royal vacuum that is made of stainless steel for the same price as the Dyson. It agitates the carpet and has incredible suction all across the brush. It picked up stuff the Dyson or Simplicity couldn't touch. It's also extremely easy to take apart if needed.
Old 05-08-06, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Way to bump that thread badlieut.

We're thinking of getting a new vacuum and I was checking out Consumer Reports latest study. The Dyson didn't score that well, esp. considering the price.
Old 05-08-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So what does Consumer Reports rate as the vacuum that sucks the most?
Old 05-08-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm. Not sure which way you're going with that question.
Old 05-08-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Way to bump that thread badlieut.

We're thinking of getting a new vacuum and I was checking out Consumer Reports latest study. The Dyson didn't score that well, esp. considering the price.

What the hell? There was a post there that I was responding to. He must've deleted it. Oh well, I can see why the Dyson scored low. It's pretty cheaply constructed. Check out the Royal vacs if you go searching. They mostly have bag vacs but they still do a better job of cleaning than Dysons. Go stick a nickel in front of a Dyson vacuum and it barely moves because it's not agitating the carpet. Stick one in front of the Royal vacuums. The thing will spin and vibrate b/c the Royal is essentially shaking the dirt out of your carpet.
Old 05-08-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would say the mods deleted it since it was an add for a place to order the vacuum, no doubt the poster works there. It was his first post ever.
Old 05-09-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Hmmm. Not sure which way you're going with that question.
I was going to say sucks the best, but I figured it would end up in the adult forum.
Old 05-09-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by badlieut
In January, I went to a vacuum store in the area. I got a nice demonstration on Dyson as well as other vacuums like Simplicity and Royal. The salesman was very knowledgable and gave a great demonstration that took 30 minutes. The Dyson really doesn't have great suction power across the full length of the beater brush. It also doesn't agitate the dirt out of the carpet very well. I ended up buying a Royal vacuum that is made of stainless steel for the same price as the Dyson. It agitates the carpet and has incredible suction all across the brush. It picked up stuff the Dyson or Simplicity couldn't touch. It's also extremely easy to take apart if needed.

Price difference +/-?
Old 05-10-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts
Originally Posted by ktan1
FYI, for those looking to buy a Dyson, they are coming out w/ new models at end April / May 1st. DC15 - stronger suction, better design of wand, controls on the handle.

Got a question for those who own this thing. How fast do you sweep the area you are vaccuming? Mine (brand new) picks up a lot of fiber and dust, but sometimes it won't pick up small debris. Maybe I go too fast or need time to break in?
For the record, I bought a DC-14 Animal last Xmas for the wife and it works great...

But what's this about a DC15? This was posted a year ago, and I still haven't heard anything about a DC15 coming out... was this a hoax?
Old 05-10-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
Price difference +/-?
Price is about the same. I got my Royal for the same price as a Dyson.
Old 05-29-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
But what's this about a DC15? This was posted a year ago, and I still haven't heard anything about a DC15 coming out... was this a hoax?
The DC15s are out. Linens N Things has the DC15 Animal for $600.

20% off coupon code that expires today: 955700000006

Last edited by Jeremy517; 05-29-06 at 12:44 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.