Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Looking for a deal on Noise Canceling Headphones

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-04, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I want to replace my current set of Noise Canceling Headphones with a really good set. I have the Philips Model: HN101. They're OK, but I'd like something smaller, lighter, and with better sound quality - and of course something that cancels the noise better.

Anyone have any suggestions? I won't be using these as my everyday headphones... just when I'm flying or working in noisy office environments.

I keep hearing that the Bose noice canceling headphones are the best (even though they're Bose...) the cheapest I can find these headphones are $~$275 on eBay. They're $299 in the stores so I might as well buy BM.

BTW, I am not looking for noise reducing headphones, only noise canceling.

Also, comfort is extremely important since I'll be mostly using these for extended periods of time.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
I have both the Aiwa Noise Canceling and the Bose Noise Canceling ones. The Bose are great and if you travel much are the best ones. I liked the Aiwas and they are a little louder than the Bose, but the Bose win on better noise canceling, and MUCH better sound and comfort. Just the fact that they sit off the ear (more like old school headphones) make them much more comfortable.

Mine were free, but I love them.
Old 09-07-04, 02:44 AM
Banned

Bump - anyone have any tips?

I just came back from NYC and realized how much the Philips Noice Canceling Headphones suck.. They're over the ear, but get uncomfortable for a 5+ hr flight.
Old 09-07-04, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know you say you are looking for noise canceling but I just ordered a set of Etymotic ER-6. Based on their website they should perform MUCH better than the Sony over the ear cancelling headphones I have been using. I can give you my review later this week when I receive them.

Here is a link:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.asp

I paid less than $100 with shipping for them.
Old 09-07-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I received the my new headphones tonight. They are way better than any headphones I have previously used. Tight clean bass, crisp clear sound. They fit into the ear much like earplugs I have used at work, very comfortable for me. And just like good earplugs they block out most ambient noise, different than my noise cancelling headphones, but also better. I bought mine at fogdog.com which currently has them at a "special introductory price" and free shipping. I would absolutely recommend these headphones.
Old 09-08-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cseyer
I know you say you are looking for noise canceling but I just ordered a set of Etymotic ER-6.
I have recently discovered the same thing. I ordered the Ety ER-6i, which is a newer version with (supposedly) a little more bass and some other alterations. It's also a little more expensive. But I have them on order from discountheadphones.com. From what I've read isolation headphones (passive cancellation that works by creating a seal between your ear and the outside world) is better sounding and better for you than active noise cancellation which actually adds noise to cancel out the noise of the outside world. Just a thought.
Old 09-08-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your going to love them, I have been listening to my ER-6's all day and they are awesome. They block out so much more noise than my Sony noise cancelling headphones and sound WAY better. I looked at the ER-6i but didnt like the white color. FYI fogdog has a better total price for either headphones plus you can get cash back through fatwallet, they shipped really fast too got them in less than a week.
Old 09-08-04, 04:52 PM
Banned

Thanks for the tips guys - my only concern with the ER-6's is comfort. Since it blocks all the sound, does that put pressure on the ear canal with the constant pressure?
Old 09-08-04, 05:01 PM
Banned

Also, i noticed the ER-6's have a 'filter'. How long does this filter last? Does it really need to be changed?

How fragile are these headphones? Could they be used while running/working out as well?
Old 09-09-04, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have ever used a set of soft rubber earplugs these fit/feel exactly the same. I am used to wearing earplugs having worked in a manufacturing facility so they are very comfortable to me, even more so than over the ear type which after wearing for long periods cause my ears to ache.

I dont know how long the filter will last, it depends on the amount of use, the amount of ear wax in your ear canal etc. They come with one replacement set and a set of 6 is $15 I dont anticipate having to change them very often.

They are no more fragile than any other headphones I have owned, they are very similiar to any other earbud type. Yes I used them while cycling at the gym this morning. The thought did cross my mind that these might be a little dangerous outside as you really cant hear much going on around you.

On another note the white ER-6i might be a good choice if your device has a low level sound output, my Toshiba mp3 player is loud enough at its maximum volume setting. Not a lot of leeway! The Er-6i advertises a 8db sensitivity boost over the Er-6. I dont have this problem with my laptop at work or my portable DVD player.
Old 09-09-04, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also as far as hot deals I found a 10% off $25 or more for fogdog.com (Code: FOGSEPT). It doesnt stack with the free shipping but still cheaper overall. Shipping is only $4.95.
Old 09-09-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got my ER-6Is and am posting my thoughts here under the name boobooboo. Damn, that's a great username.
Old 09-21-04, 03:49 PM
Banned

Anyone know the differences between the Bose QuietComfort 1 vs. QuietComfort 2?

I'm looking for a website that compares the older noise canceling headphones vers. the newer version that Bose released.

About 100 dollar difference.. what's the rest of the differences? Sound? Weight? Size?

I looked on bose.com and they didn't even have the older version on there anymore.
Old 09-21-04, 07:03 PM

I just bought shure e2c's off of computers4sure.com , total was 66 dollars shipped.
Old 09-22-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MrSneis
I just bought shure e2c's off of computers4sure.com , total was 66 dollars shipped.

That's a good price. I have those same earphones and really like them. Enjoy!
Old 04-27-05, 11:07 PM
Banned

Hi All,

So I finally got a pair of QC2's and used them to travel this past couple days. They are great headphones, however, too big for me. I like to travel light - really light - and the size is just too much. I'm going to have to list these QC2's on eBay.

I'm looking for a different pair - maybe in the ear noise canceling headphones? From the suggestions above, I'm leaning towards the shure e2c's or Etymotic ER-6's. Are these still the best ones? Any deals for them?
Old 04-28-05, 12:45 AM
Cool New Member

buy.com has the E2c's for $64.99, less $5 if you are a first time buyer
Old 04-28-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like you can get the EC-6i for $105 at www.eektechnology.com
Old 04-28-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
oops, $95 at buy.com