Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Those 20% off gift card clubs......scam or not?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Those 20% off gift card clubs......scam or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Why wouldn't you then be able to use it WITH a STL purchase at Amazon?
Because Share the Love is dead.
Old 02-11-05, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been a member of Mainstreetsavings123.com for years. My membership fee is $9.95 a month and I am limited to $500 in cards per retailer per year plus I get a free 1 year subscription to my choice of one from a bunch of magazines. I use up the Target, Circuit City, and Blockbuster limits pretty quickly on DVDs. When I tried to cancel a year ago, they sent me coupons good for a $5 rebate check each month for a year if I sent them a grocery store receipt each month, plus one $25 Shell gas card. I think it's about time for me to try to cancel again and see what I get offered.
Old 02-11-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Because Share the Love is dead.
Ohh.... So it's better than something that doesn't exist.

Sorry, I forgot.
Old 02-11-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by bdhart
CompleteHome offered me the same type of deal, I could get a credit back of $70.00 for household bills. The package came yesterday. It contains 4 certificates.

The first one is good thru Sept. 2003 and is good for 10% off of one bill up to $10.

The second one is good 10/03 thru 12/03 and is good for 10% off of one bill up to $15.

The third one is good 01/04 thru 03/04 and is good for 10% off of one bill up to $20.

The fourth one is good 04/04 thru 06/04 and is good for 10% off of one bill up to $25.

You must be an active member at time of rebate. One coupon per receipt and one receipt per coupon. Coupon must be submitted within 30 days of the monthly bill.

You would have to have some whopper bills to get this to pay off.

So are you saying that instead of getting 100 dollars of credit back, he's going to get it in the form of these coupons? (I doubt that's what you meant, since you need to be a member to even use these) Or are they going to send him the coupons just to try to get him to sign on longer?

Do you need to send original receipts, or can you send copies? And this may sound dumb, but are there any tax implications?

Luckily in CA, it's illegal for a gift card to expire, so people living here should have no problem with expiring cards.
Old 02-11-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Can people post lists of what services offer which gift cards at 20% off? I signed up at https://www.membershipme.com/savings...siteID=_MEA063 and was dissapointed not to find Best Buy or Blockbuster on their site.

Here's a list of the gift cards available at the site I signed up at, as of 2/11
Galleria
www.dealpass.com

Amazon.com
Babies"R"Us
Borders Books & Music
Circuit City
Harry and David
Jackson & Perkins
KB Toys
Kmart
Lillian Vernon
Linens'n Things
Media Play
Sam Goody
Sears
Suncoast
Target
Toys''R''Us
Waldenbooks
Old 02-12-05, 09:19 PM

Galleria also has:
Dillards
Dress Barn
JCPenney
Kohl's
Macy's
Marshall Field's
Marshalls
Watch Station
Land's End
Bath & Body Works
Old 02-13-05, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mainstreetsavings123.com has:
Blockbuster
Target
Macys
Bloomingdales
Circuit City
K-Mart
Barnes & Noble
Marshall Fields
Lowes
Home Depot
Sears
Toys R Us
JC Penney
Foot Locker
Amazon.com
Bath & Body Works
Regis Salons
Lands End
Kohls
TJ Maxx
Bennigan's
Olive Garden
Red Lobster
Steak And Ale
Outback Steakhouse
plus tickets to most movie theater chains for $4.50.

There doesn't seem to be any way to sign up on their site, but their number is 800-245-8443. Based on other posters here, they seem to have a variety of different membership packages. Mine is $9.95 a month and I can cancel anytime.
Old 02-13-05, 08:32 AM

MainStreetSavings:
https://www.membershipme.com/gascard...D=hhbmssgas002
Old 02-13-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Main Street is the one I need, since I need Lowes/Home Depot. Too many "projects" to mention....
Old 02-14-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Looks like Main Street is the one I need, since I need Lowes/Home Depot. Too many "projects" to mention....
Plus, let's not forget Sears & Craftsman tools! I wonder if Sears g.c.'s are good at OSH (Orchard Supply & Hardware) too? I know you can use Sears credit cards there as Sears owns them.
Old 02-14-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dealpass has 20% off Amazon.com gift cards?
Old 03-12-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Resurrecting this thread to detail my experience with these groups.

I opened a Galleria membership 2/11. I ordered giftcards for Amazon, Target, and Borders. The next day I opened a Connections account to get some giftcards from Red Lobster, KFC, Outback, and Blockbuster. All the giftcards arrived in about a week. Amazon was shipped USPS, while the rest were shipped DHL.

All the B&M stores giftcards were regular gift or certificates. I've used several of them already. The KFC ones actually came as 10packs of $1 giftchecks. The Amazon ones just came as numbers printed on a letter. All of the regular ones didn't have any expiration date on them. However, the Amazon giftcodes I got expire in May of this year. So I have roughly 3 months to spend them, which is dissapointingly short.

As per the site's description, I was charged the full amount of the cards, then credited the 20% on the 2nd of March. Cancelling was easy. I called their too-free numbers and navigated about 3 layers of a touch-tone menu service. I simply had to enter my membership number and my zip code for confirmation, and my accounts were cancelled without havint to talk to any customer service rep trying to convince me to stay.

All-in-all, I'd certainly do this again, although I'd buy less Amazon cards at once.

BTW, the Connections list of giftcards is:

BLOCKBUSTER
Hollywood Video
Amazon.com
Babies''R''Us
Barnes & Noble Booksellers
Bass Pro Shops
Borders Books and Music
K•B ToysTM
Lillian Vernon
Media Play
Mrs. Fields
Ritz Camera / Wolf Camera
Sam Goody
Suncoast
Toys''R''Us
Waldenbooks
Restaurant.com
Bahama Breeze
Bennigan's Irish American Grill & Tavern
Bennigan's Grill & Tavern
Burger King
Hard Rock Café
KFC
Olive Garden
Outback Steakhouse
Planet Hollywood
Red Lobster
Smokey Bones BBQ Sports Bar
Wendy's

It also has, like MainStreet, savings on movie tickets, as well as savings on tickets to theme parks like Busch Gardens, Disneyland and DisneyWorld, and Universal Studios.
Old 04-18-05, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Resurrecting this thread as I just signed up for a different club offer than the others already posted: This one is for 5% to 10% off gift cards with a yearly membership fee of just $9.95 for the first year ($49.95 afterwards per year), which is much less than the fee for the other programs.. While the savings isn't as great as all the 20% off programs, the fee is much less and great for people who don't want to just buy a ton of gift cards all at once but rather use this on an ongoing basis. Also, unlike the other programs that refund you at the end of the month for the 20% off, this program has the savings UPFRONT, meaning you only get charged the $22.50 or $23.75 per gift card (or $9.00/$9.50 for the fast food g.c.s) and don't need to wait for a refund.They also seem to have quite a few participating stores that are different from the other programs:

American Eagle (5%)
Babies R Us (5%)
BareNecessities.com (10%)
Bass Pro Shop (5%)
Blockbuster (10%)
Burger King (5%)
Circuit City (5%)
Crutchfield.com (actual gift cards!) (10%)
Dillards (10%)
Dress Barn (10%)
Harry & David (10%)
Hollywood Video (10%)
Jackson & Perkins (10%)
JC Penneys (5%)
K-Mart (5%)
KFC (10%)
KB Toys (10%)
Lands End (10%)
Linens & Things (10%)
Lowe's (5%)
Olive Garden (10%)
Orvis (10%)
Pier 1 Imports (10%)
Red Lobster (10%)
Sears (5%)
Sharper Image (10%)
Shell (5%)
Speedway Super America (5%)
Sports Authority (10%)
Toys R Us (5%)
Waldenbooks (5%)

plus $5.50 movie tickets to: AMC, Cinemark, Crown, Loews/Cineplex Odeon/Magic Johnson/Star, National Amusements/Multiplex, Regal/Edwards/United Artists Theatres

plus save on tickets to the following theme parks:
Adventure Island Tampa (15%)
Busch Gardens Tampa (15%)
Busch Gardens Williamsburg (14%)
Disneyland (Los Angeles) 2-Day or 3-day pass (10%)
Sea World Orlando (15%)
Sea World San Diego (15%)
Sesame Place (15%)
Universal Orlando, Universal Hollywood, and Disneyworld are also listed but the percentage of savings is strangely not disclosed.

There are also tons of "savings" offers that are really just promo codes to enter directly on retailers' websites so I'm not bothering to list those. The only one that seemed interesting to me was a 25% off code for CARFAX.

I like the savings off the gas cards for Shell & Speedway, even if it is only 5%. With gas prices so high, every little bit helps.

Also, unlike the other programs that have a 20 gift card per year limit per retailer, this program has a 50 gift cards PER DAY limit per retailer. So if you are planning on buying something VERY expensive (ie: appliances from Lowes, or maybe a new Plasma TV from Crutchfield!), this might be the better program to maximize savings.

To sign up at the $9.95 one-year fee special offer, go to www.dealpass.com and click the "shopping" link. This actually signs up for the "Your Shopping Club" Program, but if you go directly to www.yourshoppingclub.com, you have to pay the full $49.95 price per year. I believe dealpass changes its offer quite often, so you might want to hurry if this deal sounds appealing.

Personally I plan on using this in addition to my 20% off Main Street Savings membership as a supplementary program with different stores. BTW- Main Street Savings has stopped offering Amazon.com gift certificates. Are any of the other programs still offering them?

Last edited by raytrade; 04-18-05 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-18-05, 01:23 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Can people post lists of what services offer which gift cards at 20% off? I signed up at https://www.membershipme.com/savings...siteID=_MEA063 and was dissapointed not to find Best Buy or Blockbuster on their site.

Here's a list of the gift cards available at the site I signed up at, as of 2/11
Galleria
www.dealpass.com

Amazon.com
Babies"R"Us
Borders Books & Music
Circuit City
Harry and David
Jackson & Perkins
KB Toys
Kmart
Lillian Vernon
Linens'n Things
Media Play
Sam Goody
Sears
Suncoast
Target
Toys''R''Us
Waldenbooks
Is the Galleria site the same as the https://www.membershipme.com/savings...siteID=_MEA063 site?
Old 04-21-05, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Funny thing is, I was realizing that for the YourSavingsClub deal I posted above, the more expensive gas gets, the better the discount you get for using the gas card. With gas prices here in L.A. at $2.65 for regular, I can bring that down to $2.51 which makes it the cheapest gas in town!
Old 04-21-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by blur2
Is the Galleria site the same as the https://www.membershipme.com/savings...siteID=_MEA063 site?
Yes.
Old 04-21-05, 07:54 PM

Everyday Values

I am thinking of joining Everyday Values for a second time. Does anyone have any idea how long to wait between free memberships or is it for new members only?
Old 04-25-05, 12:09 PM
Cool New Member

Yes.
Thanks.

Is that a ref link Jay?

Last edited by blur2; 04-25-05 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-25-05, 12:47 PM
Cool New Member

What I’d like to know is has anyone actually tried to use multiple $25 GCs at some of these places? I know some of these places, Circuit City for example, state that they only accept 4-5 GC per transaction. Are these policies enforced?
Old 04-25-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I’d like to know is has anyone actually tried to use multiple $25 GCs at some of these places? I know some of these places, Circuit City for example, state that they only accept 4-5 GC per transaction. Are these policies enforced?
I've used up to 3 giftcards on one transaction at Target with no problems. Where did you read that you could only use 4-5 GC at Circuit City? I can't find it on their website:
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/...d/lookLearn.do
Old 04-25-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is that a ref link Jay?
The "siteid" tag on the URL might be a referral tag. The Galleria link still works without that part in the URL:
https://www.membershipme.com/savings...=onlglagift002
Old 04-26-05, 01:19 PM
Cool New Member

I've used up to 3 giftcards on one transaction at Target with no problems. Where did you read that you could only use 4-5 GC at Circuit City? I can't find it on their website:
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/...d/lookLearn.do
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/lookL...Oid=105472&c=1

"To redeem a gift card online, simply place the items in your shopping cart and proceed through the checkout as usual. When you're prompted to enter your payment information, you'll have an option to pay with up to four Circuit City gift cards. Just enter the card number and PIN for each gift card you wish to use. Gift cards cannot be used to purchase DIRECTV products, gift cards or any product/service/download from our partners. Other restrictions may apply.
"
Old 04-26-05, 01:21 PM
Cool New Member

The "siteid" tag on the URL might be a referral tag. The Galleria link still works without that part in the URL:
https://www.membershipme.com/savings...=onlglagift002
Thanks for the reply man, i was just curious.
Old 04-26-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BrooklynEli
I am thinking of joining Everyday Values for a second time. Does anyone have any idea how long to wait between free memberships or is it for new members only?
If it is a Trilegiant company, the enrollment site will not let you join. So try again every few weeks. I believe it might be three months, but I am not sure, despite joining these clubs at least three times each.
Old 04-26-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/lookL...Oid=105472&c=1

"To redeem a gift card online, simply place the items in your shopping cart and proceed through the checkout as usual. When you're prompted to enter your payment information, you'll have an option to pay with up to four Circuit City gift cards. Just enter the card number and PIN for each gift card you wish to use. Gift cards cannot be used to purchase DIRECTV products, gift cards or any product/service/download from our partners. Other restrictions may apply.
"
That's just for the online store though. It doesn't mention whether the B&M stores have this restriction.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.