Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the least you've paid for a SINGLE movie?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-22, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

With the "what's the MOST you've paid thread going", I was actually curios on what the LOWEST I have spent for a single flick was. Box set is easy: I snagged The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Extended on Bluray at a pawn shop for $5. Still the best pawn find I've found. But for one single movie...

I knew it had to be from Ebay so I looked through my purchase history. I purchased the bluray for CARS last year for 50 cents with free shipping. Made little sense to me but I snagged it. Disc arrived scratched to hell but still played.
Old 11-18-22, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Re: What's the least you've paid for a SINGLE movie?

My first DVD player (a Pioneer) had a mail in rebate for 5 free DVDs. So I guess $0 is the lowest I’ve ever paid.

I think the DVDs were: Lost on Space, Stepmom, Stargate, Species, and Lethal Weapon 4. I think I still have a few of them in my collection.

BTW, as good of a brand as Pioneer is, that DVD player crapped out on me in like a year and half. I haven’t bought anything Pioneer since.
Old 11-18-22, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I wouldn't count $0 as, technically, that's not paying anything. At least 1 cent is the lowest we're aiming for here
Old 11-18-22, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Likely a batch of library discards. IIRC, ten dvds for $1 at a then-nearby library book sale.

Old 11-18-22, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Plenty at $0, got a few sealed DVDs at a flea market in Texas that were 2 for $1. Speaking of that, I miss dollar store public domain DVDs, glad I got them when they were out.
Old 11-18-22, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I've found all kinds of DVDs at garage sales for a buck, even found the first Godfather trilogy DVD set for a $1. Then I found the upgraded DVD trilogy set at a thrift store for $3.

I found the LOTR Blu-ray set for $5 at Goodwill last year, and the Star Wars trilogy set with the original versions for $3-4 bucks at another thrift store.
Old 11-18-22, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

May have paid less for a few but know that at least a quarter of my 2000 blu-ray collection were bought for $2 used at pawn shops. Restarted my collection from scratch in 2016 and felt like i could find anything but the newest of releases between the two pawn shops in my town for the next few years.

Still have 50 or so titles on my wish list but they’re pretty niche titles i’d be very surprised to find second hand locally. I still go by them a few times a year though and usually pick up some tv show or standup special on dvd.
Old 11-18-22, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Plenty of 50 cent DVDs at the local resale shoppe. On those days when the hole in my life needed more filling than normal. Some were even worth it.
Old 11-18-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

$1.99 for Blu-rays. $4.99 for tv series seasons. Back in the day, iNetVideo had some great deals.
Old 11-18-22, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

My little tracker says that I paid $0.10 for Hellboy on Blu-ray way back in 2008. There's probably some kind of caveat there, like burning off a gift certificate or something.

The sale that really stands out to me was way back in 1999. Troma sold every single DVD they had in their library at that point for $0.25 each. After shipping, it was closer to $1.89 a pop, but still...!
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (11-23-22)
Old 11-18-22, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

For actually paid, it's probably whatever all I got from the 3 DVDs for $1 deal that 800.com had back in the day.
Josh Z (11-19-22)
Old 11-18-22, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

There's also been plenty of times I've done the "buy 5 get the 6th free" thing at the used shops, so whatever those free ones were.
Old 11-18-22, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Actually just recently. I bought Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director’s Edition Complete Adventure on 4K. The price I pre-ordered at was $82.99 but I used some points and it came to like $44. So not as much out of pocket but still a pretty costly package.
Old 11-18-22, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

With thrift stores selling for as little as $.50 disc, buying batches of DVDs on craigslist that work out to $.11/disc or friends just giving me discs for free it's tough to say.

My most memorable good deals in the context of when they happened were buying "Carrie" Special Edition DVD for $3.49 at Wal-mart in 2006. I also remember in November 2012 Dollar Tree in the US has their first run of cheap Mill Creek titles for $1 which at the time seemed like an unbelievably great deal. Titles like Another Stakeout, VI Warshawski, Miami Rhapsody, Marrying Man, Last Dance, Play it to the Bone etc. are still in my collection. I think I had more fun buying them than I ever did actually watching them!

Last edited by orangerunner; 11-19-22 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-18-22, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I bought every Troma disc during that sale, STILL haven’t watched them all yet! But part of that is my obsessiveness over watching all the extras even though there are some that are exactly the same on every disc.
John Pannozzi (11-23-22)
Old 11-19-22, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
For actually paid, it's probably whatever all I got from the 3 DVDs for $1 deal that 800.com had back in the day.
I don't remember the specifics, but I recall finagling some deal to get one of the James Bond DVD box sets that had an MSRP over $100 from them for something like $10. They mistakenly sent me two copies of it. I wanted to be a good person and return the duplicate, but they declared bankruptcy and closed their doors the next day before I could bother. I later sold it on eBay for about $50, I think. Worked out pretty nicely for me.
Old 11-19-22, 12:38 PM

I can't remember what Columbia House was charging per disc for their introductory offers, but if if was a penny each like in the LP days, then that's the number! One cent! The Scarface release in the thick harboard slipcase comes to mind.
Old 11-19-22, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I wanted to be a good person and return the duplicate
I've typically tried to be a good person and return duplicate products, and I'm usually met with so much confusion and annoyance that I'm not sure how likely I am to bother going forward.
Old 11-19-22, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

For BDs? Probably $1
Old 11-22-22, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
My first DVD player (a Pioneer) had a mail in rebate for 5 free DVDs. So I guess $0 is the lowest I’ve ever paid.

I think the DVDs were: Lost on Space, Stepmom, Stargate, Species, and Lethal Weapon 4. I think I still have a few of them in my collection.

BTW, as good of a brand as Pioneer is, that DVD player crapped out on me in like a year and half. I haven’t bought anything Pioneer since.
I got 5 freebies when I got my first player as well. Same titles except I got Six Days, Seven Nights instead of Species if I remember correctly.
GoldenJCJ (11-27-22)
Old 11-22-22, 03:55 PM

I will gatekeep here to say 'free' means you 'paid nothing'.
Old 11-23-22, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
I will gatekeep here to say 'free' means you 'paid nothing'.
Never actually watched Stepmom, so nothing paid, not even time wasted.
Old 11-23-22, 10:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Actually just recently. I bought Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director’s Edition Complete Adventure on 4K. The price I pre-ordered at was $82.99 but I used some points and it came to like $44. So not as much out of pocket but still a pretty costly package.
I think you're in the wrong thread.
Old 11-24-22, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I've typically tried to be a good person and return duplicate products, and I'm usually met with so much confusion and annoyance that I'm not sure how likely I am to bother going forward.
We ordered a $300 Dyson from Macy's a few years ago and got two vacuums in two separate shipments. My wife wanted to keep both of them, "one for each floor of the house" she said. I told her we only paid for one and needed to take the other back. When I went into the store, it took about fifteen minutes to even find an employee who could assist. When I explained the situation, they didn't know what to do. They called someone else. That person seemed pretty skeptical and was a little accusatory as if I had stolen the vacuum and wanted to bring it back. I'm in here just trying to give them back their vacuum and let them know about it so they can process it into their inventory and not have a variance. I'm not asking for any money, why would I go to this trouble if I had stolen the damn thing? After about 45 minutes of dealing with it, I just walked up to their Dyson display, set the vacuum down, and walked out of the store.

Oh, and I definitely got some DVDs for a quarter a piece at a yard sale a few years ago.
Old 11-25-22, 08:13 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

50¢ at a flea market, don't remember which movies...