Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the most you've paid for a SINGLE movie?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

What's the most you've paid for a SINGLE movie?

Old 11-17-22, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: What's the most you've paid for a SINGLE movie?

I'm the opposite of everyone here, refusing to spend the big bucks. I don't know the exact answer, but I'd guess I haven't spent more than $15-20 for a single movie.
The following users liked this post:
story (11-18-22)
Old 11-17-22, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Most spent on a single movie, and just the movie, was something like $80 for a VHS of Killer Klowns From Outer Space. Early 2000, it wasn't available on VHS anymore, and the DVD hadn't been released. My girlfriend at the time was really into the movie, so I hunted the copy down. We broke up shortly after, and then the DVD was released in 2001.
Old 11-17-22, 07:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 610 Likes on 524 Posts

Probably what ever retail was on the Dawn of the Dead Blu-ray set from UK. Maybe $150? Something like that. More recently probably around $70 to get an imported 3D Blu-ray.
Old 11-18-22, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 181 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Back in the Laserdisc days, it was pretty common to pay $100 or more for a CAV box set, especially those from Criterion or Disney.
This is what first came to my mind. Bram Stokers Dracula Criterion at $100+
Josh Z (11-18-22)
Old 11-18-22, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,587 Posts

DVD:

Terminator 2: Judgment Day Ultimate Edition for $29.99 at Best Buy

Robocop 4K from Arrow Limited Edition: $32.99

Got it from Hamilton Books

Digital:

Scoob! $24.99 from Fandango.com
I regret this purchase so much. I got it during the height of the pandemic when there was no new theatrical content. And this later went to HBO Max a few weeks later.

Bill and Ted Face the Music: $24.99 from Vudu. I also regret this purchase. Way too expensive for a mid budget comedy that would normally be $9.99. Also got this during the height of the pandemic when this went straight to streaming.

I will never spend $20+ on a digital rental or purchase ever again.

Old 11-18-22, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
DVD:

Terminator 2: Judgment Day Ultimate Edition for $29.99 at Best Buy
Interesting.

Is this the edition that had an unlisted "secret" version of the film which inserted the deleted scenes back into the movie? I only ever found it from playing the disc on a computer dvd player (such as VLC), and noticed different program chains where the "secret" version was one of the non-default ones.

If it is, my copy has the same front cover artwork but the slipcase was missing. (It was a dump bin find for less than $10 sometime during the mid 2000s).

Old 11-18-22, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 343 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Interesting.

Is this the edition that had an unlisted "secret" version of the film which inserted the deleted scenes back into the movie? I only ever found it from playing the disc on a computer dvd player (such as VLC), and noticed different program chains where the "secret" version was one of the non-default ones.

If it is, my copy has the same front cover artwork but the slipcase was missing. (It was a dump bin find for less than $10 sometime during the mid 2000s).
Yes thatís correct. I still have the same DVD with the metal slipcover.
story (11-18-22)
Old 11-18-22, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 407 Likes on 288 Posts

I will never spend $20+ on a digital rental or purchase ever again.
$20 barely covers the cost of one ticket these days. Iíll gladly pay $20 to watch a movie currently in theaters at my own home and not have to deal with buying two tickets, $8 beers, $10 popcorn, not being able to pause for a bathroom break, people in front of me browsing their cell phone, people talking in the theater, people getting up during the movie, etc.
Old 11-18-22, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,052 Likes on 795 Posts

I think I've paid $30+ for some Arrow releases like Mallrats and such.

Depending on how low it goes, I could see myself spending $40-50 on the Star Trek The Motion Picture special edition so I can get the extended cut (it's one movie but three versions).
Old 11-18-22, 10:19 AM

Received 240 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Yes that’s correct. I still have the same DVD with the metal slipcover.
That metal slipcover was a pain in the ass! It didn't didn't fully wrap around the DVD (or maybe I'm remembering a Blu-ray variant?) so there was this fairly wide gap at the back, and storing it between other discs meant the ridiculously sharp edges of the metal would scrape those cases every you moved it. And it wasn't very snug, so if you picked it up the wrong way, the case would slide right out.

- - - - - - -

Just thought of one other (shameful) exception to the 'get 'em cheap' rule: the Disney/Marvel 3D Blu-rays from Japan. They run about $80 CDN a pop (or more) no matter where you get them, and they're the only way to legitimately get the 3D versions now. I've mentioned elsewhere that 4K doesn't interest me, but I suppose I have a small collection now because these are 4K/3D combos. I skip Marvel movies in theatres now (starting with BLACK WIDOW, although I did grudgingly make an exception for DR. STRANGE 2) because there's only so much money I can justify throwing at any single movie, and these discs exceed it by over four times! It's beyond stupid, and it's truly my weak spot. There are times I'm tempted to just look for bootleg versions at the Chinese malls here, but even those are overpriced! On the plus side, these versions do seem to hold their value, so hopefully if I ever sell them (not that I have plans for that) I can make back a good portion of what I paid.
Old 11-18-22, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Not to be a gatekeeper here or anything, but I think some of you guys posting about how the most you've ever paid for a movie was $30 are missing the point of the thread.
Alan Smithee (11-18-22)
Old 11-18-22, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 758 Likes on 461 Posts

Not to be a gatekeeper here or anything, but I think some of you guys posting about how the most you've ever paid for a movie was $30 are missing the point of the thread.
Well, as the thread starter, if that's the max they've paid for a single flick then they got the point.

Personally, it's nice to see the varied replies and learning that others are kinda' sticklers with their spending habits like me.

I think I'll start a what's the LOWEST you paid for a single movie thread too, you know, for comparison curiosity.
Josh Z (11-18-22)
Old 11-18-22, 10:58 AM

Received 610 Likes on 426 Posts

Nope
Old 11-18-22, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 951 Likes on 691 Posts

Another Second Sight of Dawn of the Dead. Before that was a signed VHS of August Underground, which the only VHS tape I still own.
Old 11-18-22, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I suppose it's technically two movies (though one hardly qualifies as a "movie" and is more of a clip-show recap leading into the other), but I believe the most I've spent on one title was the Death & Rebirth/End of Evangelion Laserdisc box set. I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but it was at least $300.

(Be advised, the cover art is NSFW.)

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/17810...e:-Limited-Box
Old 11-18-22, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 930 Likes on 650 Posts

I suppose it's technically two movies (though one hardly qualifies as a "movie" and is more of a clip-show recap leading into the other), but I believe the most I've spent on one title was the Death & Rebirth/End of Evangelion Laserdisc box set. I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but it was at least $300.

(Be advised, the cover art is NSFW.)

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/17810...e:-Limited-Box

The gall! " this massive package contains both of the Evangelion movies"

Old 11-18-22, 03:52 PM

Received 191 Likes on 162 Posts

I just realized that I was only thinking of DVD/Blu/UHD 1 movie purchases that I have personally paid for when I mentioned the Belle import UHD a few posts upthread, but if we include Laserdiscs, than oh boy, I have a few 1 film purchases that blew past what I paid for the Belle UHD.

I remember getting into LD at what turned out to be the tail end of this formats popularity with film enthusiasts, and I did pay around $100 for the Criterion CAV LD of Hard Boiled, the same for the Aliens CAV set (no regrets on both purchases), and at least 1 $100+ purchase that I would not do over again, and that was for an at the time OOP LD of Disney's animated Beauty and the Beast. I still wince when I think of how little I re-sold it for quite a few years later, lol.

I believe that I bought most of my LDs at Tower Records on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks, or Dave's Video in Studio City, which I came to realize was one of the "cool" places to buy LD discs, and that quite a few film and TV stars would occasionally go to Dave's Video to do some movie shopping.

Both stores are missed, especially Tower Records which was so easy to get to by simply taking the RTD line that went up Van Nuys Blvd. I did not have a license for many years, until I was in my early 30s, and Bus travel sucked, and still kind-of does suck in L.A. to this very day, but getting to do some shopping on Ventura Blvd without a car was cool.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 11-18-22 at 03:57 PM.
Josh Z (11-19-22)
Old 11-18-22, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Huh? Then I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread then, if you're saying $30 is the wrong answer.
Old 11-18-22, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

Paid about $60 shipped for this - well worth getting the theatrical cut in HD.
The following 2 users liked this post by bunkaroo:
Josh Z (11-19-22), PhantomStranger (11-18-22)
Old 11-19-22, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

I found my emails to confirm that I paid $358 for the THX Ultimate Demo DVD from
Germany in 2002. There was some information at the time that indicated that it might have been limited to 1000 copies, but I think that is probably false as it has been pretty readily available since then for under $100. Definitely my biggest home video purchase mistake.
Old 11-19-22, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh? Then I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread then, if you're saying $30 is the wrong answer.
Perhaps the o/p actually had a different idea, but it just seemed to me that the point was to talk about times you've spent a lot of money on a single title, not just typical MSRP for an average disc.

Last edited by Josh Z; 11-19-22 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-19-22, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I know I've paid close to 200 for some oop titles but I really can't remember which ones. It's probably better that I don't try to figure it out.
Josh Z (11-19-22)
Old 11-19-22, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 235 Posts

A little over $50 for the Dawn of the Dead (1978) 4K LE (4-Disc)

If we were talking about DVDs, $100 is the highest I've ever paid for a single film.
Old 11-21-22, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bunkaroo--How is the transfer to Blu-ray on the theatrical release of The Warriors? Also, please confirm that it's Region A coding. Thanks.

Last edited by Hubbub; 11-21-22 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-22-22, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

Looked good to me on my OLED. Itís region free.
John Pannozzi (12-01-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.