Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Neon Eagle Video - “trashy Asian films” from Mondo Macabro and Cauldron Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-22, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The first announcement from Neon Eagle Video is coming next week: “a side label devoted to trashy Asian films”. It’s a collaboration between Mondo Macabro and Cauldron Films.

Jared from Mondo Macabro indicated that a ‘70s Toei film is on the way from this new label. Judging by the placeholder page on Cauldron’s website, it’s from 1974 specifically.

There’s also a stub for a Taiwanese action/exploitation flick from 1982.
Old 11-09-22, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Neon Eagle Video - “trashy Asian films” from Mondo Macabro and Cauldron Films

The more the merrier, and hopefully wilder selections than the yawn-inducing lineup of Italian stuff on their slate. Hopefully their combined forces will also mean better momentum than Error 4444 and their various delays, etc. There are plenty of fantastic Asian cult films that are worthy of discovery (or more realistically, rediscovery) and none of the bigger boutique labels seem interested in going too far down those rabbit holes anymore. Can't agree that they're "trashy" (shades of Thomas Weisser, I guess) but I suppose I understand where their marketing is coming from. Nice to see another company digging into Taiwan's comparatively untapped archives, too -- anything to shift genre film interest away from Mainland China and toward a country that allows its filmmakers and artists the freedom to make whatever they please (for now, anyway >shudders to think< ).
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (11-16-22)
Old 11-09-22, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Re: Neon Eagle Video - “trashy Asian films” from Mondo Macabro and Cauldron Films

Apparently the 1982 Taiwanese film is Underground Wife, but Jared from Mondo Macabro says that's not the full story. So we'll see what that means next week.

Gonzo, action packed rape-revenge themed Taiwanese “Black Movie” featuring Juliet Chan and “Tattooer Ma” Sha. The original “Underground Wife” cut runs 85 minutes, the later IFD “Kill Butterfly Kill” English language cut is 89. This movie was released again by IFD in the late 80s in a ‘cut-and-paste’ version called “American Commando 6: Kill Butterfly Kill” (see separate listing).
Old 11-10-22, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've wondered for ages when a US company would finally start digging through the IFD catalog. There are a ton of them available in what I've read are pretty decent Blu-rays, combos and 'MediaBooks' in Germany -- many with English audio and/or subs and bonus features (presumably in German). Some are expensive, some not, but as amusing as a lot of IFD "trash" is, a lot of it requires serious research to decide whether ownership is really worth the money. And I can't imagine these new US releases are going to be budget-friendly at all if they're sourcing multiple versions of essentially Godfrey Ho-style flicks. There's probably a dozen variations of just about everything he "made" (i.e. stitched together). Still, I remember reading about UNDERGROUND WIFE somewhere decades ago (maybe those same Thomas Weisser mags I mentioned, back before I knew better? ), but I've never seen it, so I'm intrigued for sure. And like I said, anything that draws more attention to Taiwan and its culture and away from its biggest existential threat is a good thing.

Some German examples:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Brian T; 11-10-22 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (11-16-22)
Old 11-15-22, 11:36 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Welcome to NEON EAGLE VIDEO! A new boutique video label dedicated to Asian Trash Cinema!
Here's the press release regarding the announcement of ourselves and our first release -
Cauldron Films’ Jesse Nelson and Brian Izzi, in collaboration with Mondo Macabro’s Jared Auner are proud to announce the formation of a new home video boutique imprint, Neon Eagle Video (NEV), that will focus on the trashier side of Asian cinema, highlighting exploitation, action, horror, and other ‘cult’ films that have been neglected in the High Definition era.

Each disc will be lovingly curated and produced by Jared Auner, with restoration, authoring, manufacturing, and distribution handled by Cauldron Films. Each release will be sold through the Cauldron Films site and DiabolikDVD.com.

“Our goal is pretty simple”, says Auner, “And that’s to issue deluxe collector’s edition Blu-rays of films which we love that have not gotten the kind of attention we feel they deserve. Films from all over Asia, with a focus on the grubbier, grittier, more low budget side of things”.

To that end, NEV is working closely with the legendary IFD Films in Hong Kong. “The crazy trash aesthetic that IFD perfected in the 1980s, with the films they both distributed and produced, is exactly the kind of thing we love and want to celebrate with this new label”, Auner says further.

Putting their money where their mouth is, NEV will debut with a deep cut from the IFD catalog, the wild Taiwanese exploitation marvel KILL BUTTERFLY KILL, in a ridiculously elaborate double Blu-ray limited edition release. This set will have not only IFD’s 1983 English language dub version of the film and its later 1987 variant AMERICAN COMMANDO 6: KILL BUTTERFLY KILL in glorious 1080p taken from brand new 4K restorations, but will also feature a standard definition print of the original Taiwanese cut of the film, UNDERGROUND WIFE, along with an SD trailer compilation from the IFD vaults, highlighting Taiwanese exploitation and crime films as well as the complete AMERICAN COMMANDO series.

UNDERGROUND WIFE was part of the ‘Taiwan Black Movie’ wave that originated in the late 70s and early 80s combining a concern for serious social issues with gutter exploitation, ridiculous action, and sometimes even outright horror. “UNDERGROUND WIFE is a pretty tough revenge film that fans of MS. 45, I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE and THRILLER: A CRUEL PICTURE will definitely appreciate”, says Jared Auner who made the deal for the film and is producing this release. “It has a gritty grindhouse feel to it and will also appeal to fans of Japanese Pinky Violence and later Category III films from Hong Kong. The violence is so outrageous and cartoonish that it mostly reminds me of the cheap and wild Turkish genre films of the 70s and 80s. What more could you want?”

IFD Films distributed this picture to foreign markets in the mid-80s with a slightly re-edited and English dubbed version they called KILL BUTTERFLY KILL, and this is the version of the film that is highlighted in this release. “It’s actually superior to the Mandarin language version. IFD did an amazing job re-jigging the film for an international trash audience”, Auner concludes.

The film got another lease on life in the late 1980s when it got the patented IFD ‘cut and paste’ treatment and was issued as part of the ongoing AMERICAN COMMANDO series. This version edits out some scenes in favor of newly-produced footage featuring actors like Mike Abbot and Mark Miller, and makes it a more straight-forward action film, albeit a truly crazy one. “Although one thing I’d like to correct about this version”, Auner says, “no matter what the IMDb says, Godfrey Ho did not direct it!” The director of this version is Charles Lee Chiu, although likely the rumor that Ho made it will live on.

KILL BUTTERFLY KILL will go up for pre-order in November alongside a much-anticipated Euro-horror release from Cauldron Films.

Future releases will include more from IFD including some honest-to-God(fry Ho) cut and paste cult classics, as well as a bona-fide pinky violence gem from Toei Studios in Japan, and possibly even some insane action/exploitation from Indonesia!

So, keep an eye out on the Neon Eagle Facebook and Twitter pages, as well as the Cauldron Films website for more info!

Twitter - NEON EAGLE VIDEO
Trailer - https://youtu.be/1tcBnUSpMOM
Old 11-22-22, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Preorders are live now!
Old 11-22-22, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tempting. As much as I'll always push folks to move toward Taiwanese cinema and away from mainland Chinese cinema, these IFD movies will probably prove a mixed bag to a lot of folks who will inevitably jump at these releases because of the packaging, the "crazy trash aesthetic" (as NEV calls it), the hyperbolic Severin-grade marketing spin, the 4K scans, all that stuff. Hell, the treatment has me hovering over the buy button. At least on the first one they've sourced the original film as well as IFC's dreadful remixes (one of which isn't even good bad, really, although I haven't seen the other one), so if they can keep that up they might have a solid line. If future releases are just the Ho bastardizations of various films, then similar pricing should be hard to justify. A lot of IFC/Godfrey Ho pictures turned up cheaply during the DVD era, and people barely bothered, but slap the veneer of 'cult collectible' on them now and we'll handily fork over. I'll probably take a chance on this first one, but approach others with caution . . .

Last edited by Brian T; 11-22-22 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-14-23, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Another update:

Yeah, there will be at least two more NEV releases after KBK this year.

First one should be April. 70s Japanese action/exploitation.

Next one will probably be in the fall. An IFD cut and paste classic!
Old 03-20-23, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Updated window for Kill Butterfly Kill:

Due to Extra QC and Production time along with packaging supply delays we are sorry to announce that both Frankenstein ’80 and Neon Eagle Video’s Kill Butterfly Kill Blu-rays will now be shipping in late April. We apologize for this, but we do think they will be worth the wait! If you have ordered City of the Living Dead from Cauldron or Diabolik along with either of these products, it will be shipping as soon as they arrive. All other City of the Living Dead pre-orders have already shipped.
Old 07-14-23, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Guess what's up for preorder?

Old 07-14-23, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Never thought I'd ever see the day where Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs receives a 4K restoration
Old 07-14-23, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cauldron also announced the Italian horror picture RAT MAN (1988) today. I thought there was a separate thread for that label here but couldn’t find one, so feel free to move this to it or make a new one.

https://www.cauldron-films.com/colle...set-w-slipcase
Old 07-16-23, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
They had me at Pinky Violence
Old 01-10-24, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Keep an eye out for a new preorder on Friday!

New pre-order this Friday, January 12th!

Thanks to our incredible customers, extras creators, artists, studio partners, producers, labs, and more for making 2023 Cauldron's best year yet!

Now that we’re officially in 2024, let’s start the year off with a new Blu-ray announcement and pre-order!

Our first Blu-ray announcement / pre-order of the year is a Neon Eagle Video release and if you’ve enjoyed the output of that label so far, we think you’ll be very pleased! It will be up for pre-order this Friday January 12th around 3pm EST so mark your calendars!
Potential clue?
Old 01-10-24, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Based on their previous dig through the IFD / Godfrey Ho catalog, I’m leaning toward one (or more?) of his ninja movies — NINJA DRAGON, NINJA FANTASY, NINJA DESTROYER, etc — many of which had red-suited ninjas. Frankly, if that’s what they’re offering, it would be so much better to see a multi-film set as none of those are worth $30+ individually — and restoring them won’t make them any less silly — but grouped together for a decent price they’d be entertaining in the right frame of mind.

Old 01-10-24, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Apparently it is Ninja Terminator? I see a bunch of people saying that on the other forum in their Neon Eagle thread.
Old 01-10-24, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wouldn’t surprise me. If you’re going to rescue one of these mash-ups from public domain purgatory, that’s, umm, certainly one of them. I suppose in terms of recognizable entries in the IFD shit pile, that’s one of the better known pieces of shit. In fairness, I haven’t minded watching some of them over the decades — veerrry sporadically, because they’re all so similar — just to see Hong Kong in its heyday throughout the background. The good thing about the IFD library being exhumed and restored is the fact that Godfrey Ho is still alive and seemingly happy to participate in this kind of late-life appreciation, so there’s that. It would be nice if they were able to source the other movie(s) that were spliced into NINJA TERMINATOR (or whatever else it might be), similar to what they did with BUTTERFLY KILL, or even better, finally dredge up Richard Harrison to talk about this aspect of his career, but as he’s nearly 90 now I’m not sure how likely that is.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-10-24 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-12-24, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Mondo Macabro

***NINJA TERMINATOR DELUXE LIMITED EDITION!!***

UP FOR PRE-ORDER NOW at cauldron-films.com and diabolikdvd.com! Estimated ship date: April 2024.

Limited to 2500 copies!

Neon Eagle Video is proud to present the first ever official HD release of the mind-melting martial arts cult classic NINJA TERMINATOR!

As anyone who has seen the film knows, a description of the plot is almost impossible. More or less: a group of ninjas compete to control the ultimate artifact of their craft – the Golden Ninja Warrior statue! Meanwhile, a secret agent tries to bust up an organized crime ring that is somehow connected to the statue. But really, the plot is beside the point. Rather, it’s the constant display of cheesy insanity onscreen that will keep you hooked from the first minute until the final battle!

After years of ugly-looking and legally dubious copies of the film making the rounds, we are hugely excited to bring to you its first ever authorized disc release in North America, restored from a 4K scan of the original negative and in its proper widescreen aspect ratio. A host of commentaries, interviews, and trailers round out this deluxe release, but the most exciting extra is the inclusion of the original ‘source’ film THE UNINVITED GUEST OF THE STAR FERRY! IFD used this Korean/Taiwanese co-production as the basis for Ninja Terminator and prior to this release it has never been seen anywhere in the western world!

Limited edition includes:
2 Blu-rays/ 2 films: NINJA TERMINATOR and THE UNINVITED GUEST OF THE STAR FERRY, each in their own Blu-ray case housed in a rigid side load slipcase with artwork by Justin Coffee, plus an exclusive 40 page perfect bound book featuring new writing on the film by Jesus Perez Manuel Molina and David Zuzelo!

Disc 1 (Blu-ray):

Main Feature - NINJA TERMINATOR
Restored from a 4K scan of the negative / 1080p presentation
English language audio
Optional English SDH subtitles
2:39:1 / 90 minutes / All Region / 1985 / Director - Godfrey Ho

Extras:
Audio commentary by Kenneth Brorsson and Phill Gillon of the Podcast on Fire Network
Audio commentary by Asian film experts Arne Venema and Mike Leeder
Interview with director Godfrey Ho on Ninja Terminator and working at IFD
Interview with Godfrey Ho and dubber Simon Broad on the dubbing of Ninja Terminator and other IFD films
Interview with Chris Poggiali, co-author of ‘These Fists Break Bricks’
Trailer (SD)

Disc 2 (Blu-ray): **limited edition only**

Bonus Feature - THE UNINVITED GUEST OF THE STAR FERRY
1080p presentation from a 2K scan of the original ‘source’ film of Ninja Terminator, taken from an ultra-rare 16mm print.
**Please note: This feature is assembled from a salvaged print that was once thought lost. Due to large amounts of dust, mold, and scratches, what you see is what you get! This HD version, “grindhouse presentation” of the film is only available with the limited edition Ninja Terminator set**
Korean language audio w/ English subtitles
2:39:1 / 90 minutes / 1984 / All Region / Director - Kim Si-hyun

Extras: IFD Ninja Trailer compilation (HD and SD)
Old 01-12-24, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can I call ‘em or what? (well, in my trailer clips, anyway!) Even the hoped-for inclusion of the source film! Not that it wasn’t pretty guessable that they might do that.

I’m guessing this will become a habit with other IFD re-releases, now that they can figure out all the source films with Ho’s input. I’d still prefer a budget-friendly set with a bunch of these old cheese-fests, but I don’t see that happening.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-12-24 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-12-24, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just noticed this is $48 (!) to preorder at Cauldron Films (with an SRP of $69.99) but only $35 to order at Diabolik (SRP, $49.99). Obviously the Cauldron pricing is insane for something like this, so maybe it’s deliberate to drive some sales to Diabolik for a while first? Just . . . weird.

https://www.cauldron-films.com/colle...injaterminator

https://diabolikdvd.com/product/ninj...ideo-preorder/

Old 01-13-24, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Cauldron is showing $34.99 for me. Maybe they’re automatically showing you CAD, while
Diabolik is using USD?
Old 01-13-24, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That was it. Their site is irritating that way; if you don’t visit for a few days, it automatically defaults back to the currency of the country you’re in even when you don’t delete cookies and whatnot, whereas Diabolik doesn’t do that, at least for me (and I hadn’t logged in there in a couple of months at least). I’ve noticed it occasionally on other sites that use Shopify but strangely not all of the ones I use. Could be worse, I suppose; Vinegar Syndrome only allows me to see American pricing on my desktop computer, but not via the Safari browser on my phone or the VS app (and neither provides a way to toggle between currencies either). At least the Shopify sites allow a reset . . . for a time.
Old 04-18-24, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Jared A.
My label Neon Eagle Video has a Reiko Ike film coming next year.
Old 04-24-24, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin