Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hard Talk - Letís discuss getting rid of physical media

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Hard Talk - Letís discuss getting rid of physical media

Old 07-14-22, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts
Re: Hard Talk - Letís discuss getting rid of physical media

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Even if it is not intentional, bluray players can be accidentally "bricked" by incompetent data/firmware/etc .... updates, such as what happened to Samsung manufactered bluray players (after Samsung had already exited the market for standalone bluray players) back in 2020.
A botched firmware update is a very different scenario from the intentional revocation of encryption keys. Bricked hardware devices could affect anything from my FireTV stick to my NAS, and affect my ability to play my media, but has nothing to do with revocation of rights.

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
In principle, the evil movie companies can make a disc and/or send out a firmware update to revoke any and all bluray player encryption keys (both standalone and software). Effectively turning players into bricks.
Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
I suppose a corporate "Dr. Evil" could theoretically create a firmware upgrade and transform all web-enabled Blu-ray players to out-put nothing higher than 480p! Not that it would happen but the idea it could happen is rather scary.
But that has never actually happened. If your player is not connected to the Internet, you can avoid those firmware updates. You can also avoid any problematic discs that might update the keys. In a worst case scenario, you get a new, known-good player. In a worst, worst case scenario, you get a BD-ROM drive and rip all your discs.

In contrast with the above unlikely and never-happened-yet scenarios, digital ownership has already had numerous loss of access to content issues, including defunct retailers, studios pulling access, and rights issues with individual titles.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-15-22)
Old 07-14-22, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 776 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I've looked through my collection to see if there's any movies I could try and sell recently. I have the very rare History of Beavis and Butthead dvd set and I've seen listings on ebay as high as $650. I don't watch it anymore and the very early episodes on it are very bad. I was thinking of listing it on Ebay with a starting bid of $100.
I wouldn't list as a open bid. List it with a Buy it Now option and make sure you check comps first to see when/how much it's been selling for to better price your set.

eBay has turned into an instant gratification shop and folks don't want to bid on things. I'd only use the bidding option for a death pile of items I had.
Bluelitespecial (07-15-22)
Old 07-15-22, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 776 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Wow Ė never knew about that. Also, never owned a Samsung player and, entirely unwittingly, never connected a Blu-ray player to the internet, or needed to. And if performing either of those actions ever resulted in a 'bricked' player as discussed in that thread, well, there are other brands out there . . .

I like knowing Ė at least for a while Ė that discs (and books, of course) donated to the library have a chance of being enjoyed by others, either as sign-outs from the library itself of dollar pick-ups in a book sale. I'm sure even libraries get stuck with stuff nobody wants which ends up in the trash (or maybe they donate them to charity shops?), but I've seen even dreadfully common stuff on the sale table on the first day of a sale, and most of it's gone by the second day. Up here, charity shops Ė Goodwill, Sally Ann, Value Village/Savers (although the latter isn't really a charity shop) Ė probably get more disc donations in general based on what I see on their shelves, but I'm sure they have time limits for anything occupying space on their shelves. After all, is anyone really looking to add romcoms, Martin Lawrence movies and workout videos from the 00's to their collections nowadays, even at $3 or $4 a pop? Still, even these places at least represent the possibility of extending the life of old discs.

It depends on the library system's collection development policy. If the library and its branches can use the items they will take them. If they can't they may pass it over to the Friends of the Library associates. With the pandemic and all some Friends organizations have yet to open and are backlogged with stuff. Our Friends of the Library (and library system) stopped taking donations until further notice. In worst case scenarios if donated material cannot be used or sold it will get weeded out and dumped. That's just how it is.
Old 07-15-22, 10:50 AM
Banned by request

Received 776 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I wouldn't list as a open bid. List it with a Buy it Now option and make sure you check comps first to see when/how much it's been selling for to better price your set.

eBay has turned into an instant gratification shop and folks don't want to bid on things. I'd only use the bidding option for a death pile of items I had.
I've made about $2k on blu's/DVD's so far on about 50% of what I am planning to sell. Boxed sets usually. So this doesn't apply to everyone wanting to put in time on eBay, especially for open bid, as I have accepted different amounts. And you have the right to not accept any offers.
Old 07-15-22, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 240 Likes on 188 Posts

One reason I prefer selling my old discs on Amazon Marketplace – at least in Canada – is the ability to set them and forget them. I make my listings and they stay up – sometimes for years, admittedly – until they sell. No time limits on listings, no auctions, no re-listing fees or whatever. Also no additional costs if you list as a private seller and fulfill your own orders, which I do. From what I've read, using the 'Fulfillment By Amazon' system – which requires you to register with them as a business, ship your stuff as your expense to their warehouses, and buries you in byzantine rules, storage time limits and a surprising amount of fees beyond just the commission they take – is only useful if you're running a business and dealing in large volumes of stuff (not just movies), or importing/redistributing mountains of suspect crap from China. I couldn't imagine the headaches of that. As a private seller, though, my rating has been 100% since day one, because I know exactly what the buyer is getting (this part is also true of eBay, of course).

I'm not getting rich, but I'm largely making a profit on everything I do sell, and I only have about a thousand listings at any time. Monthly earnings are always in 3-figure range, $200 - $600, so I'm pretty small potatoes. I make a profit on virtually everything (especially as I have a lot of boutique label and OOP titles that aren't easily found in Canada, and the only other sellers are Americans or Europeans, which turns off a lot of Canadian buyers due to shipping risks). I don't update my prices as often as I should, so occasionally when prepping an order I'll check the original listing and discover that other sellers (often Americans) are offering the same title for 3x or 4x what I was. That stings, but at least my copy is out the door thanks to those guys making me the more affordable option.

When I lived on the border years ago, I used eBay for a couple of years to unload a lifetime's worth of old 'collectibles' (vintage toys, comics, movies, posters, etc), and was fortunate to be able to sell on the US platform because I could cross the border every week to take advantage of much lower shipping costs at USPS outlets. Hell, it was actually cheaper to send parcels from the US into Canada (for Canadian buyers) than it was to ship them within Canada! Wouldn't be surprised if that's still the case.
Old 07-15-22, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

It's fun selling discs! The post office just raised rates again and now it's $3.49 to ship a single title using Medial Mail.
Old 07-15-22, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

When I lived on the border years ago, I used eBay for a couple of years to unload a lifetime's worth of old 'collectibles' (vintage toys, comics, movies, posters, etc), and was fortunate to be able to sell on the US platform because I could cross the border every week to take advantage of much lower shipping costs at USPS outlets. Hell, it was actually cheaper to send parcels from the US into Canada (for Canadian buyers) than it was to ship them within Canada! Wouldn't be surprised if that's still the case.
As a fellow Canadian my experience trying to cross the border and ship through USPS to a US address was not a good one. At the border I was asked by the customs agent whether the package was for a "friend", as if prompting me to lie to him. I told him it was an eBay sale and was thus subject to the minimum $10 USD import-for-purpose-of-sale fee.

I guess you can tell the border agent that your 10 packages are all for 10 separate "friends" and cash-in on the savings but I personally wouldn't risk doing this.
Old 07-15-22, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 240 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
As a fellow Canadian my experience trying to cross the border and ship through USPS to a US address was not a good one. At the border I was asked by the customs agent whether the package was for a "friend", as if prompting me to lie to him. I told him it was an eBay sale and was thus subject to the minimum $10 USD import-for-purpose-of-sale fee.

I guess you can tell the border agent that your 10 packages are all for 10 separate "friends" and cash-in on the savings but I personally wouldn't risk doing this.

I had some little tricks.

Namely, I didn't package anything until I got over there. The 'tools' to do so were sitting in plain sight throughout the car: boxes flattened and under stuff in the trunk (looking like they were just tossed there), roll of packing tape in the door, pens and scissors in the console, hand-written labels (just a thing) in my inside coat pocket. The items themselves were often just sitting on the back floor, or in an old milk crate in the trunk, and because it was the kind of stuff that didn't raise flags, even if the agents did look, they would've assumed it was just clutter.

Plus, I rarely had more than a handful of auctions in any given week to maintain my sanity, so at best I might be taking maybe three or four 'things' across the border to ship. Still, the savings, over time, was substantial. Wouldn't hesitate to do that again if I was ever back in a border city.

Old 07-15-22, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't stream because my internet service is from the Jurassic period. I live out in the middle of nowhere and we just recently got DSL with data caps. AT&T has been putting down broadband cables here for a year and keep pushing the date when it will be available back.
Old 07-15-22, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I've had listings on Amazon for a while, and I keep getting notices that they have removed my listings since I don't have receipts for these discs.
Old 07-15-22, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 624 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Reminds me I got an extra Song of the South in a lot of free laserdiscs I picked up from someone recently. I couldíve told him about its value but if he didnít know himself then I figured I could sell it. Will of course keep one copy but even thatís of little use to me as I have a hi-def Blu-ray of it.
...except that SONG OF THE SOUTH is available here: https://archive.org/details/Songofth...80pRestoration in a wonderfully encoded 22 GB 1080p 35mm scan, which someone has generously done and provided to the community. An excellent resource, which when you burn your own Blu-ray of it, bests all other extant (rare) versions of the film out there.
John Pannozzi (07-18-22)
Old 07-15-22, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The trade off, I suppose, is that using Amazon Marketplace means a lot of listed titles do sit for a loooong time before someone buys them, if ever. But for now, I'll take that as opposed to just dumping them on eBay in cheap bundles so some other savvy re-seller can reap the profits. I also appreciate that some of the titles I listed above may sell in the US for nowhere near those prices. Scarcity is probably a bigger issue up here, and it drives a lot of people to pay top dollar when there are zero other options.
Your situation and experience selling cult titles basically 'proves' that those titles will always be held in high stead by collectors, especially when they go OOP and aren't available in the same quality ever again. (I did the wise thing by offloading many OOP DVDs of these types of cult titles between 2005 - 2010 when they were OOP and before they were re-released in surperior versions on Blu-ray). I realize that I should keep these cult blu-rays now, as these cult and offbeat titles won't be released in higher-quality versions again. There's no 3rd try. We've been lucky and fortunate to have been given the chance to acquire them twice before, and the studios aren't going to give us another chance. They'd rather switch to the residual-income model for perpetuiity: inferior-quality streaming with DRM and poor bitrates, which gives them the greatest latitude and sense of control possible. We got very lucky these last 20 years; it's not going to happen again, so hang onto your treasures (high-quality physical-media cult-film Blu-rays), folks!
The following 3 users liked this post by zyzzle:
Brian T (07-18-22), g (07-19-22), PhantomStranger (07-17-22)
Old 07-15-22, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 463 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I don't stream because my internet service is from the Jurassic period. I live out in the middle of nowhere and we just recently got DSL with data caps. AT&T has been putting down broadband cables here for a year and keep pushing the date when it will be available back.
Have you looked into Starlink?
https://www.starlink.com/

Even if you still don't stream, it may be nice to have internet speeds from this century.
John Pannozzi (07-18-22)
Old 07-16-22, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k View Post
It's fun selling discs! The post office just raised rates again and now it's $3.49 to ship a single title using Medial Mail.
I remember very well, as recently as 2008-09 , it cost only $1.42 to ship a one-pound package Media Mail rate to any ZIP in the country!

So, postage rates are, indeed rising much, much faster than regular inflation or CPI would deem necessary... Tell-tale sign of mismanagement and too much bloat in the USPS, a floundering company.
Old 07-16-22, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 463 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
So, postage rates are, indeed rising much, much faster than regular inflation or CPI would deem necessary... Tell-tale sign of mismanagement and too much bloat in the USPS, a floundering company.
*ahem*

John Pannozzi (07-18-22)
Old 07-17-22, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Dan Murrell just did a 71 minute video talking about 175+ new titles he recently acquired on BD and 4K

He talks about everyone of these titles. I know 99% of you aren't going to watch this, but this was an interesting watch. He and Robert Meyer Burnett are pretty big proponents of physical media.

I know this doesn't really add to the point of this thread. But, just wanted to show that there's still a passionate fanbase for physical media even though many of you here don't have the time and finances to keep up with it. And some of you are just massively backlogged and have to get rid of stuff.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-17-22 at 09:20 PM.
John Pannozzi (07-18-22)
Old 07-17-22, 06:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 776 Likes on 580 Posts

Not watching, but I agree with your assessment that there’s still a fan base. There always will be.
John Pannozzi (07-18-22)
Old 07-17-22, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts

Was that the same guy who did a nearly 4-hour long video of going through all his movies? I need to do one of these, I can at least explain why I bought each one even if some reasons might be insane.

Keeping with the topic, here's a video that's still tough for me to watch- this guy died shortly after making it:
Old 07-17-22, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk God

No, his 1st video was about 1 hour 50 minutes.

I know 99% of you probably don't give a shit about a YouTuber sharing their entire movie collection, but I'm impressed that he took the time to do it. That's a very intensive video to make.
John Pannozzi (07-18-22)
Old 07-17-22, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love (vintage) films, am proud of my collection, and could talk for hours about the films I love and admire. But, I don't, because I know nobody cares, and I've got much better things to do with my time --- like complaining on online forums. However, I consider it the absolute height of arrogance, egotism, and vanity for a guy to sit there and "brag to the world" for 2 hours about his extra-special film collection. It just has so much hypocrisy built in. It's total mental masturbation. I agree that it *is* an accomplishment, but it's really the "wrong" type of one. Sure, it doesn't harm anyone, and may benefit one or two people with way, way too much time on their hands, and who might get some vicarious, covetous thrill be seeing the guy being a braggadocio for this outrageous length of two hours.

Oh, well, I wasted a minute of my time typing this post, when I could have *profitted* by sitting here listening to that obnoxious guy brag. Oh, crazy world!
Old 07-18-22, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Alright sorry I brought it up. Should have known I was going to get a rant.

Back on topic,

I have the Blade Runner briefcase set from years ago on DVD with all the cuts. And later on I got the BD set (non briefcase). Is that Blade Runner briefcase even worth a damn anymore? Do any of you still have it?

Old 07-18-22, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I have the Blade Runner briefcase set from years ago on DVD with all the cuts. And later on I got the BD set (non briefcase). Is that Blade Runner briefcase even worth a damn anymore? Do any of you still have it?
It was already dump bin fodder a year or so after it was released, when I picked it up at costco.

Back in those days, tons of stuff did a round trip through costco before it went out of print.
Old 07-18-22, 01:35 AM

Received 137 Likes on 119 Posts

However, I consider it the absolute height of arrogance, egotism, and vanity for a guy to sit there and "brag to the world" for 2 hours about his extra-special film collection. It just has so much hypocrisy built in. It's total mental masturbation. I agree that it *is* an accomplishment, but it's really the "wrong" type of one. Sure, it doesn't harm anyone, and may benefit one or two people with way, way too much time on their hands, and who might get some vicarious, covetous thrill be seeing the guy being a braggadocio for this outrageous length of two hours.

(Without getting heavily into politics).

On the other side of the coin, it is great that such individuals are wasting all their time and effort on such minutiae.

Imagine if such individuals were not wasting so much time and effort talking about their film collections and doing long banal youtube videos.
John Pannozzi (07-21-22)
Old 07-18-22, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts

Your situation and experience selling cult titles basically 'proves' that those titles will always be held in high stead by collectors, especially when they go OOP and aren't available in the same quality ever again. (I did the wise thing by offloading many OOP DVDs of these types of cult titles between 2005 - 2010 when they were OOP and before they were re-released in surperior versions on Blu-ray). I realize that I should keep these cult blu-rays now, as these cult and offbeat titles won't be released in higher-quality versions again. There's no 3rd try. We've been lucky and fortunate to have been given the chance to acquire them twice before, and the studios aren't going to give us another chance. They'd rather switch to the residual-income model for perpetuiity: inferior-quality streaming with DRM and poor bitrates, which gives them the greatest latitude and sense of control possible. We got very lucky these last 20 years; it's not going to happen again, so hang onto your treasures (high-quality physical-media cult-film Blu-rays), folks!
90%+ of Blu-rays decrease in value, many of which to be worth single dollars. Donít take a few random OOPs to be the new normal. There will always be a market for them, just like there is for video games and other things people feel the need to collect even when they can get it digitally for less or free.

Not everything is ďinferiorĒ as there are still tens of thousands of movies and TV shows available in HD and UHD not on disc. And, of course, most people donít care about the quality of streaming vs a disc.

Halt and Catch Fire released one season on Blu-ray, the next on DVD and nothing for the next two. Tell me where I can buy a HD version of season 2,3,4 on disc.

You canít, they donít exist. But you know who has them? ITunes. You know who stripped the DRM and now has the highest quality backups available? Me.

This is why physical media fails. This isnít 2008 when everything was coming out in disc.

Last edited by Gizmo; 07-18-22 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-18-22, 12:47 PM

Received 591 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Alright sorry I brought it up. Should have known I was going to get a rant.

Back on topic,

I still have mine. I also have the way less cool one from Inception.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.