DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Films you don't really like but bought because you're a completionist (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/654898-films-you-dont-really-like-but-bought-because-youre-completionist.html)

ViewAskewbian 02-23-22 01:16 PM

Films you don't really like but bought because you're a completionist

Goes hand in hand with the other thread I posted on movies you didn't like but bought for audio/video. This one is about being a completionist.

I have a bunch of these flicks that I've bought simply to have every movie in a series/franchise or episode of a TV show.

Most recently, Matrix Ressurections comes to mind.

Mike86 02-23-22 01:20 PM

re: Films you don't really like but bought because you're a completionist

I used to do this more. I’ve gotten better about not being so OCD and feeling the need to buy things I don’t like simply to fill a gap in my collection.

Adam Tyner 02-23-22 01:26 PM

Lesser Dario Argento films would be an example for me, like Dracula 3D, and I'd buy Mother of Tears even though I found it completely unwatchable on TV. I'm trying to back away from just-for-the-sake-of-completionism, but it'd be tough to have a near-complete Argento filmography and not fill in those few dreadful gaps.

Kurt D 02-23-22 01:32 PM

I'll eventually get Matrix Resurrections when the price is right.

Otherwise, every single Transformers movie fits in this thread for me.

Alan Smithee 02-23-22 02:57 PM

Halloween 4, 5 and 6. Will probably get the latest Matrix also, maybe that’ll be better with repeated viewing. Probably will never buy Space Jam 2 at any price though.

Hazel Motes 02-23-22 03:05 PM

Texas Chainsaw Massacre New Generation
Texas Chainsaw 3D
Leatherface (2017)

Alien Covenant

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Terminator Salvation

Fear and Desire (Kubrick)

BuckNaked2k 02-23-22 05:24 PM

I used to do this all the time, but realized so many sequels in my collection just suck, and I was never going two watch them. I don't mind if there's a good story arc, but please, one Shrek movie is enough.

Anyway, I sold off a lot of stuff in the past two years.

Red Hood 02-23-22 06:34 PM

Every Crow film and TV other than the original

Norm de Plume 02-23-22 07:43 PM

I'm not a completist. I only buy films I like.

Toddarino 02-23-22 08:18 PM

I attempt to get everything from my favorite directors. Other than maybe three or four, they’ve all had misfires. So I have a fair amount that I don’t ever foresee watching again.
DePalma:
Greetings, Wedding Party, Dionysus In 69, Redacted, Passion, Domino
Landis: Schlock, Kentucky Fried Movie
Dante: the Hole
Cohen: Private Files Of J Edgar Hoover, Full Moon High

I know there’s a bunch more. That’s just off the top of my head.

Why So Blu? 02-23-22 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume (Post 14064410)
I'm not a completist. I only buy films I like.

Likewise.

rexinnih 02-24-22 12:30 AM

Matrix series was first that came to mind.

Sonic 02-24-22 02:51 AM

The Matrix series. Matrix Revolutions I didn't care for. I've toughened up and now only care for the first Matrix. I still haven't bought any on 4K.

TomOpus 02-24-22 06:45 AM

The Matrix series looks great on 4k. Only bummer is that they didn't include the Animatrix in the new boxset, so I kept the blu-ray boxset.

ViewAskewbian 02-24-22 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt D (Post 14064175)
I'll eventually get Matrix Resurrections when the price is right.

Otherwise, every single Transformers movie fits in this thread for me.

I'll do you one better. I bought these in a set of all the movies + Bumblebee for audio/video AND completionism. Annnnd, to make matters crazier, the set didn't include the bonus discs with the longer making of docs on the films so I bought those, created my own case to hold all the discs and sold off the extra discs allllll for movies I think are mostly kinda terrible. That's when I knew I had a problem. I mean, not Alan Smithee level or anything but still... :p

The Cow 02-24-22 12:26 PM

For me, I can't think of any movies.. but I've had a problem with TV series for sure. Especially those CW Arrowverse shows that I really have no desire to finish watching.

ViewAskewbian 02-24-22 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 14064738)
For me, I can't think of any movies.. but I've had a problem with TV series for sure. Especially those CW Arrowverse shows that I really have no desire to finish watching.

Yes, I'm that way as well. I'd totally buy all the Disney+ and Netflix Marvel shows if they were ALL out on Bluray

Bluelitespecial 02-24-22 12:54 PM

Batman and Robin

Maxflier 02-24-22 01:06 PM

The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
Rise of Skywalker

Kurt D 02-24-22 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 14064735)
I'll do you one better. I bought these in a set of all the movies + Bumblebee for audio/video AND completionism. Annnnd, to make matters crazier, the set didn't include the bonus discs with the longer making of docs on the films so I bought those, created my own case to hold all the discs and sold off the extra discs allllll for movies I think are mostly kinda terrible. That's when I knew I had a problem. I mean, not Alan Smithee level or anything but still... :p

I've been a bit all over the map with them. I got Bumblebee on 4k disc, but some of the other Transformers, bought BDs used for 2 bucks a pop! (I may even have one or two streaming only, so it's a whacked out collection.)

ViewAskewbian 02-24-22 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt D (Post 14064761)
I've been a bit all over the map with them. I got Bumblebee on 4k disc, but some of the other Transformers, bought BDs used for 2 bucks a pop! (I may even have one or two streaming only, so it's a whacked out collection.)

I've mentally justified my spurt of purchases these last two years as supplementing going to the movies.

maxfisher 02-24-22 02:33 PM

I own pretty much every Disney animated theatrical release, nearly all of which were bought before I had kids in the anticipation of someday wanting to watch them with my kids. Now that I have kids, we have watched a lot of them, but almost always by streaming them on Disney+ instead of pulling a disc out and putting it in.

I think that's about it other than some titles in boxsets that I don't care about. I used to have a lot more, but have purged them over the years and the ubiquity of titles available to stream has mostly stripped my physical purchases to movies I truly love.

That's a pretty big change for me, mainly in the past year. For example, I'm a pretty big Marvel fan and have 4K discs of everything through Spider-Man Far From Home (as well as 3D discs of about half of them), but have yet to pick up Black Widow, Shang Chi or The Eternals. I actually liked each of those to some degree, but not enough to buy them when I can stream them at such high quality via something I'm already paying for.

jpcamb 02-24-22 03:40 PM

the most recent Star Wars Movies immediately come to mind when I see this thread. :(

GoldenJCJ 02-24-22 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 14064859)
the most recent Star Wars Movies immediately come to mind when I see this thread. :(

It’s funny, you can pinpoint almost the exact time I stopped being a completist. I bought The Force Awakens on Blu-ray but don’t have The Last Jedi or The Rise of Skywalker. Some time around 2016 or 2017 I stopped giving a shit about completing my collection.

milo bloom 02-24-22 04:33 PM

I've found myself not buying all the Disney/Pixar main releases like I used to. I may even get rid of some of the ones that didn't age so well.

I stopped collecting all the Hannibal Lector films when they started getting too derivative. All I have now is SOTL on Criterion Blu and three different versions of Manhunter on DVD.