Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

End of Era For Blu-ray & Cases?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

End of Era For Blu-ray & Cases?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: End of Era For Blu-ray & Cases?

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Did you even read the OP?
Did you even notice that you're responding to OldBoy? Of course he didn't read whatever he's asking about.
Old 10-07-21, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Did you even notice that you're responding to OldBoy? Of course he didn't read whatever he's asking about.
I know, I know. *Hangs head in shame*
The following users liked this post:
Josh Z (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Getting back onto the topic, I wonder if this means it will become difficult, if not impossible, to find specialty cases like 3-4-6-8-10 disc DVD and blu-ray cases.

I have printed out covers for multi-disc boxed sets and put them in these multi-disc cases to save space and replace shitty cardboard cases, so I wonder if I shouldn't buy some spares in case I need to print more out or replace the cases if they get damaged.

I've been thinking about buying a bunch of clear blu-ray cases and replacing my Shout/Scream Factory blu-rays with the clear cases to better display the alternate art on the other side of the inserts.

Old 07-18-22, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

So I just bought a BD case on Ebay to replace a cracked case and broken flipper for my 3-disc Mama Mia set.

I think I bought the BD set for like $12 or 13.

The Viva Elite case was like $8.70 (with tax) and free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28388489424...IAAOSws-hexXeO

Viva Elite is basically like the "Official" case that the studios use for their movies. So I look for them at replacements. But, $8 seems really pricey. I haven't bought any in a few years. When did they get so expensive or have they been getting expensive? I already ordered it because I'm OCD with cracked cases and broken flippers inside, but that almost doesn't seem worth it.

The seller that I used to buy cases from doesn't appear to be on Ebay anymore Casetopia. They had pretty decent prices. Did they go under? I know they sold on Ebay and had their own website and that site appears to be dead.
Old 07-18-22, 07:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I have 13 single disc cases and 1 fatty double case, so 14 total. If anyone is looking for some, shoot me a DM with an offer plus shipping.

Old 07-18-22, 07:49 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So I just bought a BD case on Ebay to replace a cracked case and broken flipper for my 3-disc Mama Mia set.

I think I bought the BD set for like $12 or 13.

The Viva Elite case was like $8.70 (with tax) and free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28388489424...IAAOSws-hexXeO

Viva Elite is basically like the "Official" case that the studios use for their movies. So I look for them at replacements. But, $8 seems really pricey. I haven't bought any in a few years. When did they get so expensive or have they been getting expensive? I already ordered it because I'm OCD with cracked cases and broken flippers inside, but that almost doesn't seem worth it.

The seller that I used to buy cases from doesn't appear to be on Ebay anymore Casetopia. They had pretty decent prices. Did they go under? I know they sold on Ebay and had their own website and that site appears to be dead.
Damn… you can get a two-pack of both movies on Blu for cheaper than a case.
DJariya (07-18-22)
Old 07-18-22, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Damn… you can get a two-pack of both movies on Blu for cheaper than a case.
I looked at several case sellers and the prices were insane.
Old 07-19-22, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah, they're probably kaput. That the website is gone and they're no longer selling on eBay is pretty good indication that they're no longer in business.

Not too surprising, as I've heard that over the last year or two they've had a lot of items out of stock and weren't sending out orders. Was hoping it was just one of those supply chain issues we've heard so much about, and they could get it to work out eventually.

Old 07-19-22, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Ah, Casetopia, the savior of getting releases from amazon.
Old 07-19-22, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Well, I hate to give away my secrets, but if you check places like thrift stores and Half Price Books, you can often find blu-ray movies, sometimes even multi-disc cases, for only a couple bucks. Certainly cheaper than $5-8 a piece for an empty. Just put the disc in a sleeve if you don't like the movie or throw it out.
I've done this plenty of times, like buying seasons of Glee just to get the multi-disc case or buying a case with the disc missing just to get the slipcover.
John Pannozzi (07-25-22)
Old 07-21-22, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

For Canadian members, here's a good place to buy Blu-ray, DVD and game cases. You can buy online and they ship anywhere in Canada. Good quality cases too.

https://www.wimmedia.com/blu-ray-boxes/

Old 07-22-22, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I haven't ordered from them in a while, but looks like Shop4Tech still sells Blu-ray cases, although you have to buy them in bulk. And unfortunately, they don't have UHD cases.