Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What movie started your collecting of movies?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

What movie started your collecting of movies?

Old 08-29-21, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
Re: What movie started your collecting of movies?

I couldn't tell you what the first VHS tape I bought was. Mostly I rented tons of movies and recorded stuff off TV. I did own a handful of pre-recorded tapes, but the only one I remember offhand is Miller's Crossing.

I was introduced to Laserdisc in college. I had the easiest work-study job in the world, with almost nothing to do but sit in a room with dozens of TVs, VCRs, and a couple LD players. A typical 4-hour evening shift entailed about 0-5 minutes of so-called "work" (pointing to a TV cart and making a professor sign it out on a sheet). There was a Laserdisc shop within walking distance of campus, so I rented two discs every weeknight for four years.

After graduation, my (future) wife bought me a Laserdisc player of my own for my birthday. I picked through the LD sale bin at a Lechmere store (long defunct New England retail chain), and the first two discs I bought were Short Cuts and In the Name of the Father.
Old 08-29-21, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts

The first vhs tape I ever owned was the original release of Return of the Jedi from '86. I watched the crap out of that tape. Kind of wish I still had it, but I chucked my vhs collection long ago.

Over the years I accumulated a bunch of vhs tapes as gifts, but the first ones I ever recall spending my own money on was the Star Wars SE widescreen box set. Got it from Media Play the day it came out along with a free Yoda statuette.

I started buying more vhs at that point, but it was when I got my first DVD player in 2001 that I really dove in head first. I'm pretty sure the first DVD I bought (even before I had a player) was either JFK or A Better Tomorrow. A Better Tomorrow II and the Killer/Hard Boiled 2 pack from Fox Lorber were other early purchases. Face/Off was a vhs favorite, M:I2 was out, and I had recently seen The Killer for the first time, so I was all in on Woo back then.
Old 09-26-21, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Growing up, we had all the premium channels and either watched those or rented movies, but my parents certainly never owned any commercial VHS or Laserdiscs. My dad would record movies off TV, but that was the extent of it. So it was Independence Day that got me hooked into collecting. I was about 13 at the time, so Independence Day was my first foray into the summer action blockbusters, and it was released just in time for Christmas with that cool lenticular cover. I was still 13, so would rather spend my money on video games or baseball cards, but always added at least one movie to any Christmas or Birthday list. I probably never owned more than ten VHS tapes before DVD came along and that's when my movie collecting really took off.