DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Smallville -- The Complete Series (20th anniversary edition) -- 10/19/21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/653438-smallville-complete-series-20th-anniversary-edition-10-19-21-a.html)

DJariya 07-27-21 02:20 PM

Smallville -- The Complete Series (20th anniversary edition) -- 10/19/21

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER ON BLU-RAY

SMALLVILLE: THE COMPLETE SERIES
20th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Featuring All 218 Episodes from the Iconic Series

Flying into Homes on Blu-ray October 19, 2021

BURBANK, CA (July 27, 2021) – It’s been 20 years since Clark Kent first arrived in Kansas, and in honor of the 20th Anniversary of the remarkable series, Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition will soar onto Blu-ray for the first time ever from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on October 19, 2021. This set for the ultimate fan features all 218 episodes along with over 28 hours of bonus features from all 10 incredible seasons, plus Digital Copy (US Only). Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray is priced to own at $179.99 SRP ($209.99 in Canada) and will also be available on DVD for $154.99 SRP ($184.99 in Canada).

The groundbreaking, Emmy®-winning 10-season hit that redefined the origins of the world’s greatest super hero is all here – from Krypton refugee Kal-El’s arrival on Earth through his tumultuous teen years to Clark Kent’s final steps toward embracing his destiny as the Man of Steel. Relive a decade’s worth of thrills in fantastic adventures full of action, heart and humor in abundance, all anchored by the marvelous performance of Tom Welling at its center. Savor again the series’ thoughtful and imaginative integration and reinvention of the iconic characters of DC lore. And let your spirits be lifted up, up and away.

Starring Tom Welling as “Clark Kent,” Allison Mack as “Chloe Sullivan,” Kristin Kreuk as “Lana Lang,” Michael Rosenbaum as “Lex Luthor,” John Glover as “Lionel Luthor,” Erica Durance as “Lois Lane,” Annette O’Toole as “Martha Kent,” John Schneider as “Jonathan Kent,” Justin Hartley as “Oliver Queen,” Sam Jones III as “Pete Ross,” Cassidy Freeman as “Tess Mercer,” Aaron Ashmore as “Jimmy Olsen,” Eric Johnson as “Whitney Fordman,” Laura Vandervoort as “Kara,” Callum Blue as “Zod,” Jensen Ackles as “Jason Teague” and Sam Witwer as “Davis Bloome,” Smallville has also featured many notable guest stars including Terence Stamp, James Marsters, Michael McKean, Ian Somerhalder, Jane Seymour, Brian Austin Green, Pam Grier, Helen Slater, Michael Ironside, Julian Sands, Tori Spelling, Rutger Hauer and Christopher Reeve.

Superman was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Based on DC Comics characters, Smallville was developed for television by Alfred Gough & Miles Millar. Its executive producers have included Michael Tollin, Brian Robbins, Joe Davola, Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, James Marshall, Brian Peterson, Kelly Souders, Todd Slavkin, Darren Swimmer, Greg Beeman, Ken Horton and Tom Welling. The series is from Tollin/Robbins Productions, Millar/Gough Ink and Warner Bros. Television.

Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition includes 2 DVD discs with over 28 hours of bonus features originally released on the Smallville Seasons 1-10 DVD sets.

MORE THAN 28 HOURS OF BONUS FEATURES

The Adventures of Superboy – The original 1961 pilot starring John Rockwell.
A Retrospective Look at the Series’ 10-Year Journey – An in-depth, season-by-season look at the creation of this landmark television series. Highlights include interviews with Tom Welling, Eric Durance, Michael Rosenbaum, Phil Morris, John Schneider and many more, as well as rare behind-the-scenes footage.
A Decade of Comic-Con Featurette
Paley Festival Featurette
Smallville’s 100th Episode: Making of a Milestone – An extended version of the original featurette included in the Season 5 set.
Secret Origin: The American Story of DC Comics – A feature length documentary chronicling DC’s 75 years of challenges, creativity, and triumph.
Audio Commentaries, Deleted and Extended Scenes, Gag Reels, Behind-the-scenes featurettes and much more from all 10 seasons!

OldBoy 07-27-21 02:50 PM

Re: Smallville -- The Complete Series (20th anniversary edition) -- 10/19/21

that looks interesting. especially the digital code part maybe they will have an interview with Mack behind bars and what she did to get her there ;)

fujishig 07-27-21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13962751)
that looks interesting. especially the digital code part maybe they will have an interview with Mack behind bars and what she did to get her there ;)

The secret NXIVM tapes...

*this content has not yet been rated*

Adam Tyner 07-27-21 03:42 PM

That's very surprising; I've gotten in the habit of thinking of catalog TV-on-BD as being basically dead from the major studios. It gives me hope that maybe we'll get the original run of Veronica Mars and the rest of iZombie one day!

Mike86 07-27-21 03:50 PM

Didn’t some of the later seasons come out on Blu-ray originally back in the day? Nice for fans of the show. Personally I tried to get into Smallville, but it wasn’t for me.

Michael Corvin 07-27-21 04:56 PM

Yes. I have them. I believe they started with season 6, IIRC. I rewatched with my kids a few years back up through season 7 or so. I'm glad to see the first 5 make it to BD, but I'm probably not running through it again.

Adam Tyner 07-27-21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13962826)
I believe they started with season 6, IIRC.

Yup. Season 5 was HD DVD-only, but every season after that made it to Blu-ray.

PhantomStranger 07-27-21 05:47 PM

Wow, wow, wow. Did not expect this release. I remember discussing this very show with someone at Warner a few years back and they didn't think sales would justify a complete set. Said it was never going to happen. That complete Supernatural Blu-ray set must have sold well enough for them to release Smallville like this.

I wouldn't expect the early seasons to look that great.

DJariya 07-27-21 06:10 PM

It's been mentioned in some past write ups that WB didn't want to remaster the early seasons in HD because the special effects were done in SD (I believe) and it was too costly.

I have the entire series on physical media. Seasons 1-8 on DVD and 9-10 on BD. Smallville is one of my favorite series of all time and I'd like to support this release. However, this isn't really something that screams double dipping. But, I would like be interested in those earlier seasons in HD. And yes I know the series is currently on Hulu and at some point will likely segue to HBO Max.

OldBoy 07-27-21 06:31 PM

It’s on Hulu? Fuck. Didn’t know that. Thanks DJ. Would still love all in Vudu.

DJariya 07-27-21 06:46 PM

http://www.kryptonsite.com/official-...ate-october-1/

It's been on Hulu since October 2016.

FYI, this site will tell you if the movie or show you're looking for is available on SVOD or PVOD. It's the best site out there for it.

https://www.justwatch.com/us

OldBoy 07-27-21 06:53 PM

Yeah, I use that and honestly I was watching it, but on dvd and didn’t stick with it though I was enjoying. Too much work, swapping discs. ;)

Gizmo 07-27-21 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13962774)
That's very surprising; I've gotten in the habit of thinking of catalog TV-on-BD as being basically dead from the major studios. It gives me hope that maybe we'll get the original run of Veronica Mars and the rest of iZombie one day!

Shame they stopped iZombie short of a complete series, which seems to appeal to the Blu-ray crowd. The weirdly did the entire run CW 90210 version, well after it was canceled.

Eric F 07-27-21 10:20 PM

Hmm. I have Hulu free with Spotify, but never really bothered with it because of the commercials. Perhaps I’ll check out some episodes of the earlier seasons and see how they look.

Adam Tyner 07-27-21 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13962962)
Shame they stopped iZombie short of a complete series, which seems to appeal to the Blu-ray crowd.

There was some sort of clearance issue with season 4. It was (is?) on Netflix but wasn’t available for purchase at all — digitally or on Blu-ray — unless something’s changed somewhat recently.

And maybe since they couldn’t do season 4, they didn’t bother with season 5 on Blu-ray either?

Whatever the holdup was, hopefully they’ll figure something out at some point.

b2net 07-28-21 05:49 AM

I wonder how well they will clean up the first season. We have the complete series in HD on VUDU and the picture is not much better than SD for Season 1 and the intro is worse than SD. It improves some later in the season or beginning of Season 2 (can't remember).

We are near the end of Season 2 and the picture quality has improved yet still seems more like a soft 720 as opposed to true 1080.

We have been watching an episode here and there for a while. Our plan was to watch 1-5 on VUDU in HD (as good as it could be) and then switch to finishing 6-10 on Blu.

If they remaster the first seasons in HD (better than exists already), hopefully they will also update the masters for the earlier seasons for digital. Including replacing the versions those of us already have.

stingermck 07-28-21 09:16 AM

Ooof 20 years. I remember watching the first episode in my door room, final semester of college.

Shannon Nutt 07-28-21 01:50 PM

I've had the complete series in HD for a while now (via Vudu) and have the complete series on DVD as well (so I have all the extras, although not in HD), so I doubt I'll be picking this one up. There's nothing new here in terms of bonus content, correct?

DJariya 10-18-21 02:30 PM

This comes out tomorrow. Not sure if any B&Ms that even sell physical media would even carry it.

I checked Amazon and I guess all their pre-orders sold out. I was thinking about getting it to upgrade all my DVDs, but still a little gun shy paying $160 for it.

Trevor 10-18-21 03:46 PM

I didn’t discover the show until DVD, and have been very slowly working my way thru the season sets. I think we’re averaging about one season a year. Tempting to give all that bulk away and buy this.

b2net 10-18-21 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13999563)
This comes out tomorrow. Not sure if any B&Ms that even sell physical media would even carry it.

I checked Amazon and I guess all their pre-orders sold out. I was thinking about getting it to upgrade all my DVDs, but still a little gun shy paying $160 for it.

Best Buy is also showing as Sold Out. They also show sold out on the Incredible Hulk set. I wonder if this will be a limited run.

I am also shy as we already have Seasons 6-10 on Blu. Buying this set would really only fill on Seasons 1-5. That is unless there are improved transfers (Audio and/or Video) on S6-10.
S6-10.

Also not sure about the digital unless that improves the video from S1 and part way into S2. We have this complete on VUDU in HD and the video is pretty soft, etc for those seasons/episodes. We started watching an episode here or there expecting to go through 5 and then switch to our Blu sets. We fortunately we're not far into S2 (picture is improving) and could start over with the Blu set.

OldBoy 10-18-21 07:03 PM

If anyone gets this and wants to sell digital code reasonably, lmk via pm. Thx in advance.

DJariya 10-28-21 02:12 PM

Amazon put Smallville back up for sale. It's now $156 and change. It has a 1-2 month delivery window. I went ahead and put in an order. Even though I already own the entire series on DVD (I have seasons 9 and 10 on BD), it's my 2nd favorite series of all-time.

It's out of stock at DD and they charge shipping on it because it weights over 4 pounds. Plus on Amazon I was able to use some rewards points from my Chase CC.

stvn1974 10-28-21 03:10 PM

People around the net are reporting getting duplicate discs in their sets so beware.

DJariya 10-28-21 03:13 PM

Bill Hunt also reported that. He's alerted WB home video. Hopefully with the 1-2 month delay for shipping, it will get fixed.