Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dune (1984) in 4K

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Dune (1984) in 4K

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-21, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: Dune (1984) in 4K

Originally Posted by OldBoy
huh, i didn't know i had the extended edition dvd. on SteelBook™ no less. is that in any way better than TE? why would Arrow not have access and include both?

Is it better than the theatrical? It’s up to your personal preference. It adds about 30 minutes of new footage but the overall film is still problematic because of all the issues during production.

It was mentioned by somebody in the know on Twitter that the US distribution rights for it have been rescinded but no reason was given.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (06-10-21)
Old 06-10-21, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

huh, i didn't know i had the extended edition dvd. on SteelBook™ no less. is that in any way better than TE?
The TV miniseries version was edited by people who had never seen a movie before and had zero understanding of even the most basic film grammar.
Gizmo (06-10-21)
Old 08-27-21, 09:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

My steel book has just shipped from Diabolik. Doc screwup aside, I’m hoping to see good things from this 4K.
Josh Z (08-27-21)
Old 09-11-21, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Cracked and got this one. I have to admit, if you have a good 4K tv and surround sound system, this is a pretty damn good production.
Josh Z (09-11-21)
Old 10-13-21, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Announcement from Koch Films:

Dear DUNE fan, maybe the news about our DUNE - Ultimate Edition has already reached you via our social media channels. We would be happy to provide you with the latest information here:

The cover of the edition is final. DUNE will appear in a noble acrylic glass box, decorated with foam and velvet paper. We apologize that you haven't heard from us for a long time. We have had a hard time finding a service provider who meets our quality standards 100% with this special edition. But we have found what we are looking for and are still working flat out on the Ultimate Edition. Unfortunately, this also means that we have to postpone the edition's release day to February 10, 2022.

BUT: All fans who have ordered an Ultimate Edition in our shop by October 10, 2021 will receive it before Christmas. Why? Our manufacturer, which we commissioned for this edition, has only limited production capacities available. That is why it will deliver to us in two batches, which enables us to send the Ultimate Edition to the first pre-orderers before Christmas.

Are you waiting for further editions due to the DUNE postponement? Due to the pending Dune Edition, you may be currently waiting for further editions that are part of this order. Of course, the postponement of the Dune Edition does not mean that you have to wait for these editions until Christmas. We will send them to you in the next few days as a partial delivery, of course free of charge. We can promise you: The additional waiting time for the DUNE - Ultimate Edition is worth it! At the same time, of course, we hope for your understanding for our decision and the delay. We are aware that your pre-orders gave us a great leap of faith, which we of course want to fulfill in the best possible way.

Please note: If you have any further questions about your order, please contact our customer service directly by email at [email protected].

Many greetings,
Koch Films
Old 10-20-21, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Watched my DUNE 4K Steelbook copy (on XB1 X) and NO problems at all. Now I'm halfway the first commentary.
Old 10-28-21, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Now that the Arrow Limited Editions are OOP and mostly OOS, there are Special Editions coming out on Dec. 14 for the 2-disc UHD and 2-disc Blu-ray.

As far as I can tell, these are just keep case releases, so they have the same discs, but they don't have the box set slipcase, book, poster, and lobby cards from the Limited Editions.
Kurt D (10-28-21)
Old 10-28-21, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

I support this. Didn't want the other stuff, but may opt for the 4k special edition.
Old 10-28-21, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I may be interested in a swag-free release at a better price. Still salty over the exclusion of both the extended cut and the documentary. I might just settle for the Bluray since I tried my extended DVD in another player and it seemed to work this time.
Old 10-28-21, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This arrived yesterday (to accompany my 3-disc 4K UHD Steelbook)

Old 11-04-21, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Picked up a copy of the 4K Steelbook this afternoon at my local Barnes & Noble.

When I was there earlier in the week, they had 3 copies of the LE BD but no copies of the 4K.

Went back today and the LE BDs were all gone but a single copy of the 4K Steelbook was on the shelf.

After having an odd day, this was a great surprise.
gerrythedon (11-04-21)
Old 11-10-21, 07:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, I remember this movie. It's the one with the phrase, "He who controls the spice controls the universe" and for some reason, Sting (from the band the Police) is in it too.
Old 11-10-21, 08:17 AM
Banned by request

Nope, that’s Steel Magnolias.
Josh Z (11-10-21)
Old 11-10-21, 06:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

This still doesn’t have docu except on Koch, correct? Is doc even worth it?

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-10-21 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-10-21, 07:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Is this the German Koch one with documentary?

Old 11-10-21, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this the German Koch one with documentary?

Yes that one (Amazon DE exclusive) and this one (which I bought @ https://www.jpc.de/ and more cheaper) have the documentary. Both the same other than the cover.

Last edited by gerrythedon; 11-10-21 at 08:09 PM.
OldBoy (11-10-21)
Old 11-18-21, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally received the Koch Films SteelBook, from Germany by way of a friend in Belgium. I'm not gonna lie, the artwork is weird. I'm not sure where they got that image of a lumpy sandworm from. That's not what the worms in the movie look like. Are those supposed to be mountains in its mouth, like we're seeing a map of the desert overlaid onto it? Whatever the case, it's strange. And the drawing of Paul on the back is kind of terrifying.

Old 11-18-21, 08:01 PM
Banned by request

So the German sand worm has an STD?
Old 11-18-21, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I finally received the Koch Films SteelBook, from Germany by way of a friend in Belgium. I'm not gonna lie, the artwork is weird. I'm not sure where they got that image of a lumpy sandworm from. That's not what the worms in the movie look like. Are those supposed to be mountains in its mouth, like we're seeing a map of the desert overlaid onto it? Whatever the case, it's strange. And the drawing of Paul on the back is kind of terrifying.

I love Steelbooks and are always my first choice, but I saw the artwork for it. Decided to pass on it and went for the Digibook version. And when it came to a choice, I got the B cover. Glad I did, that Steelbook is . Thanks for posting picture.
Old 12-14-21, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Latest update from Koch Films:

Dear DUNE fan,

In October we had all pre-orders up to and including 10.10.2021. If you ordered our DUNE Ultimate Edition, we promised that we would send the editions before Christmas. Now we have to tell you that we unfortunately cannot keep this promise. It is with a heavy heart that we have to postpone the entire release day by one week to 02/17/22 and we cannot deliver to pre-orders in advance, as was originally planned. In order to somehow make the Christmas delivery possible, we pulled out all the stops and planned with significantly tighter production and supply chains than is usually the case - without buffers, safety nets and double floors. This is now noticeable. Due to bottlenecks and delivery delays in the production processes, we can now be certain that the anticipation for the edition will have to last a little longer for you and for us too.

We know that we received a huge (also financial) leap of faith with your pre-order. We are very grateful to you for this. We want to return this trust to all previous pre-orders not only with a flawless edition, but also with an additional goodie that was not intended for the Ultimate Edition. Because we know how much you were looking forward to the edition just before Christmas. As a thank you for your trust and your renewed patience, we will produce an extra. You will received, an exclusive, elegant 'DUNE' aluminum sign (A4) that is not available for sale. You don't have to do anything, because we'll automatically add it to every order and ship it with your Ultimate Edition in February.

P.S: This week we'll be showing on our social media channels and in the Koch Films Shop what the DUNE Ultimate Edition will look like from the inside!
Old 04-15-22, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, apologies in advance if this turns out to be nothing, but a friend of mine sent it to me thinking I would be interested.

https://www.avclub.com/david-lynch-i...ion-1848795394

The main focus is Inland Empire, but towards the end Lynch himself brings up recutting Dune, kinda in an abstract manner, but not in a purely negative tone like he has in the past:

But I would like to see what is there. I can’t remember, that’s the weird thing [laughs]. I can’t remember. And so it might be interesting—there could be something there.

Is it possible he's trying to tweak it with the additional footage and that's why Universal pulled the TV cut from distribution in the US?
Old 04-15-22, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
So, apologies in advance if this turns out to be nothing, but a friend of mine sent it to me thinking I would be interested.

The main focus is Inland Empire, but towards the end Lynch himself brings up recutting Dune, kinda in an abstract manner, but not in a purely negative tone like he has in the past:

Is it possible he's trying to tweak it with the additional footage and that's why Universal pulled the TV cut from distribution in the US?
As long as they reintegrate Patrick Stewart riffing on the Stick I'm in for another 50 bucks.
milo bloom (04-15-22)
Old 04-16-22, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom

He's not trying to do anything. This was just an idle thought. "Yeah, I suppose I'd like to recut it, if that were possible. Maybe."

I don't think I'd want the David Lynch of today to touch the movie, frankly.