Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Ring & The Hobbit Trilogy 4K release December 2020???

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lord of the Ring & The Hobbit Trilogy 4K release December 2020???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Re: Lord of the Ring & The Hobbit Trilogy 4K release December 2020???

Originally Posted by Josh Z
It's very unlikely that any of the CGI was redone. That would be hugely expensive and time intensive, for not much impact on potential sales.
Yes, that's a huge undertaking, and I really doubt Warners is going to drop the cash redo the CGI. Ever.

I'm just hoping the upscaling looks good and they remove that horrid green tint from Fellowship.
Old 10-08-20, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Okay, I think I'll go with the steelbooks from Best Buy that are pictured in the OP. They're listed at $120.

As much as I like the slipcase for the giftset, I don't need the ring and the price on Amazon went from $140 to $150. The regular boxset on Amazon is $90.
Old 10-08-20, 06:12 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I've been happy with my big box set The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy: Special Extended DVD Edition , even though I have the extended releases of The Hobbit on blu-ray. I think the only thing that would compel me to upgrade my LOTR set to blu-ray would be disc rot. I still don't care about UHD.
Old 10-08-20, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I think I'll wait for the Mega Set with all of the extras for both trilogies. I have the Theatrical and Extended versions for LotR on DVD and Blu-ray and the Theatrical and Extended for the Hobbit on Blu-ray. That should hold me over until then...
Old 10-08-20, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Digital Bits is now claiming: "For The Lord of the Rings, this includes new 4K scans of original camera negative and new 4K scans of the original VFX film outs."

What this means is that the VFX have not been re-rendered. The original CGI was composited onto the footage and output onto film back in 2001-2003. Warner has simply rescanned those film elements. That's essentially the same thing Disney did for the Star Wars special editions. Footage without VFX looks pretty good, but any shot with CGI looks about as crappy as it ever has.
Old 10-08-20, 11:25 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yep. On the Hobbit side, at least that will look pretty damn good, as it was shot in 5k.
Old 10-08-20, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I want the steelbook versions but I will probably wait until they announce the new extras on the big set. If there's nothing substantial, I can live with the movie only editions and keep the old sets for the extras.
Old 10-09-20, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Inside and back art for (French) HOBBIT Trilogy Steelbook, which should be same.

https://www.fnac.com/a15189711/Coffr...omnsearchpos=7
Old 10-10-20, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts

Digitalbits posted the back cover arts on Facebook.

Old 10-10-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

They'll have Atmos!
Old 10-10-20, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dolby Vision too.
Old 10-11-20, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

None of these releases have the supplemental content, correct? So these aren't going to replace the previous blu-ray or DVD releases in anyone's collection.

This release seems like kind of a waste unless you're a steelbook fetishist.

Won't most folks just wait out for the comprehensive set coming next year with the new supplemental material? (Though Eru only knows how much that one will cost!)
Old 10-11-20, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The previous supplements were pretty comprehensive. Not sure what "new" material would be worth the cost. I just want LOTR in 4k. Not that interested in The Hobbit. Buying now instead of waiting.
Old 10-11-20, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The previous supplements were pretty comprehensive. Not sure what "new" material would be worth the cost. I just want LOTR in 4k. Not that interested in The Hobbit. Buying now instead of waiting.
There’s apparently *tons* of deleted scenes. Some stuff cut for time, others from changes to the story as they went along. Plus there were two different sets of extras for the LOTR trilogy and it’d be nice to have them all together.
Old 10-11-20, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
There’s apparently *tons* of deleted scenes. Some stuff cut for time, others from changes to the story as they went along.
Yeah, there was stuff in the trailers that wasn't in the either the extended editions or deleted scenes. And there's more out there, too, from what I understand. I'd love to have as much of this stuff as possible included.

And it would be nice to have all of the supplemental material in one place. I do wonder if all of the bonus content would bit one disc since a lot of it seems to be in 480p; even if some of it is in 1080p, it could probably still all fit on one 4K disc.
Old 10-11-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Dolby Vision too.
You sure? I don't see it on the back cover there.
Old 10-11-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

So this December release for The Hobbit and LOTR is strictly just the movies in 4K it looks like. I think I might just wait and see what the summer 2021 release looks like. I have the BD box set of the extended cut of LOTR and I also own the BDs of The Hobbit (both extended and theatrical cuts) as well. And I still have my own Extended edition DVD box sets as well. I don't think I need this right now.

The documentaries, which I watched long ago, for all 3 LOTR movies are already almost 10 hours total from what I recall. That's a monstronsity of material already.

Anyways, I'll wait and see come 2021. I do eventually want these movies in 4K.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-11-20)
Old 10-11-20, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You sure? I don't see it on the back cover there.
I saw wording about playing back Dolby Vision requires the correct tv and player. It's in the small print, so I'm​assuming it has DV.
Old 10-11-20, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
There’s apparently *tons* of deleted scenes. Some stuff cut for time, others from changes to the story as they went along. Plus there were two different sets of extras for the LOTR trilogy and it’d be nice to have them all together.
Deleted scenes might be interesting one time. I don't find myself pulling out discs to watch deleted scenes after I've already viewed them once. Just not my thing.
Old 10-11-20, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They did film a lot of material that hasn't fully seen the light of day, some of it would be of much interest to fans of both the books and films:

* Additional footage from the Battle of the Last Alliance in The Fellowship of the Ring prologue.

* An obscure shot from the trailers of two Elven girls playing about in Rivendell.

* Scene mentioned in The Fellowship of the Ring commentary, about an animal disrupting Frodo and Sam while they sleep, after seeing the Wood Elves. Many animals were used, including rabbits and deer.

* Dialogue from the Council of Elrond, such as Gandalf explaining how Sauron forged the One Ring.

* An attack by Orcs from Moria on Lothlórien after the Fellowship leaves Moria. Jackson replaced this with a more suspenseful entrance for the Fellowship. Much of the lost footage can be seen as promotional material on The Fellowship of the Ring theatrical DVD and tie-in books, documentary footage on the Extended Editions, and Trading Cards.

* More Arwen footage, including a flashback scene of her first meeting with a beardless Aragorn (seen in The Two Towers teaser).

* Faramir having a vision of Frodo becoming like Gollum.

* Footage of Arwen at Helm's Deep, cut by Jackson during a revision to the film's plot. Foreshadowing this sequence were scenes where Arwen and Elrond visit Galadriel at Lothlórien (seen in The Two Towers teaser trailer). The scene was edited down to a telepathic communication between Elrond and Galadriel.

* Théoden speaking to the troops in the armoury, prior to the Battle of Helm's Deep.

* Éowyn defending the refugees in the Glittering Caves from Uruk-hai intruders.

* An unknown scene displayed in The Two Towers preview of Éomer lowering a spear while riding his horse in a forest.

* Frodo and Sam fighting on the ground in Osgiliath (after Sam tackles Frodo away from the Ringwraith). The scene's fighting was deleted, but Frodo drawing Sting and pointing it at Sam after he is tackeled was left in.

* A line of dialogue during the death of Saruman, in which he reveals that Wormtongue poisoned Théodred, giving further context as to why Wormtongue kills Saruman and Legolas in turn kills Wormtongue.

* A conversation between Elrond and Arwen in a library in Rivendell, after Arwen decides to wait for Aragorn. Elrond leaves, saying, "You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore."

* Sam using the Light of Eärendil to pass the Watchers at Cirith Ungol.

* Aragorn having his armour fitted during the preparations for the Battle of the Black Gate. This was the final scene filmed during principal photography.

* Sauron fighting Aragorn at the Black Gate. A computer-generated Troll was placed over Sauron due to Jackson feeling the scene was inappropriate. Sauron is also seen in a beautiful form as Annatar, Giver of Gifts.

* Also at the Black Gate sequence, Pippin was seen in the trailer holding a wounded Merry, a scene which takes place after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields upon Pippin discovering Merry under the mûmak.

* Further epilogue footage, including that of Legolas and Gimli, as well as Éowyn and Faramir's wedding and Aragorn's death and funeral.
And that's just the stuff that's known about.
Old 10-11-20, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:

Old 10-11-20, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I do wonder how much of that Aragorn vs Sauron/Annatar scene was completed.

It's kind of fan-servicey, and I don't know if it makes much sense in the context of the story, but I would love to see it.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (10-11-20)
Old 10-12-20, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

While I'm looking forward to seeing all of these in 4K, will wait until the Summer set to get a more complete set. That said, if the price drops nicely on these early next year, I will probably pick them up.
Old 10-12-20, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts

I really don't know what else people would want for extras on LOTR. Deleted Scenes, new interviews, a cast reunion, or look into the remastering process.
Old 10-16-20, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I do wonder how much of that Aragorn vs Sauron/Annatar scene was completed.

It's kind of fan-servicey, and I don't know if it makes much sense in the context of the story, but I would love to see it.
In the extras they say Sauron was replaced with the troll. So the entire fight is in there but Aragorn fights the troll instead of Sauron. I am glad Sauron remained just "the eye".

This release is what finally pushed me to get a 4k tv. Can't wait!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.