DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   The Official Vinegar Syndrome Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/651361-official-vinegar-syndrome-thread.html)

OldBoy 08-07-22 09:57 AM

re: The Official Vinegar Syndrome Thread

not sure why not mentioned in extras list on bluray.com review. and which cut is the preferred cut of the three?

Brian T 08-08-22 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14144078)
not sure why not mentioned in extras list on bluray.com review. and which cut is the preferred cut of the three?

It's mentioned in the body of the review itself, in boldface in the last paragraph. Just seems like the reviewer probably didn't watch it in his rush to get something posted. Not sure why the BRcom review would be the first place to look rather than VS's own listing, but both sites make reference to it.

OldBoy 08-08-22 09:16 AM

thanks. and the preferred cut to start with?

Brian T 08-08-22 09:25 AM

The Hong Kong version, of course. It's a Hong Kong film. The others are afterthoughts.

OldBoy 08-08-22 12:33 PM

what does the longer Chinese cut have that the others don't? pointless stuff?

Brian T 08-08-22 04:49 PM

Not pointless stuff, really. Mostly trims here and there, and then added footage that does explain certain aspects of the plot better than in the HK version. The most significant change is the ending. The Hong Kong ending – as per many Hong Kong films of the day – is grim but satisfyingly dark. The 'Mandarin' version – which I've grown to think wasn't prepared for China (where they weren't really importing or showing HK films in the 80's, especially stuff like this), so much as other conservative Asian countries – completely one-eighties it. The action sequences are much harder in the HK cut, though (making Melvin Wong a much nastier villain, too). Furthermore, the export versions were based largely on the 'Mandarin' cut, so many of the improvements AND the flaws of that version are present in those. It's really a case of just starting with the version released in Hong Kong, as intended by the filmmakers and actually seen by local audiences, then going through the others to see what was done to it afterward. They're all worth seeing, though maybe not in one night. :) Oh, and the Hong Kong cut is in Cantonese, which should just sound right to anyone watching a Hong Kong movie!

OldBoy 08-08-22 08:28 PM

Very detailed and thorough. Now, I’m torn. :lol:

Brian T 08-08-22 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14144821)
Very detailed and thorough. Now, I’m torn. :lol:

Simple. Start with the Hong Kong version. That’s the original film, as released in Hong Kong. That’s the film most people refer to when write and talk about it. All these other versions were created AT THE TIME, but over the long haul, the HK cut has stood as the ‘right’ version of the film, and has been released in various markets on home video in that form. It’s also the centrepiece of both of these limited editions. Period.

BTW, when I mentioned that the ‘Mandarin’ cut one-eighties the original ending, I didn’t mean that it was a good thing. It’s not. It’s a total cop-out, designed to appease over-sensitive conservative censor boards in wherever-land. It’s different enough that it’s worth seeing, but the HK version IS the film.

Watch the HK version first. Problem solved.

OldBoy 08-09-22 07:56 AM

HK it is! :up:

Adam Tyner 08-11-22 11:36 AM

The standard edition of Cloak and Dagger will be available everywhere else (Target, Amazon, etc.) on September 27th.

Adam Tyner 08-18-22 11:55 PM

The sale is live! And the new VSA title is Unmasking the Idol.

Brian T 08-19-22 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 14150464)
And the new VSA title is Unmasking the Idol.

That one looks interesting. Not sure it's $30 interesting for this wallet, but perhaps in a future sale.

Bluelitespecial 08-19-22 02:45 PM

I just bought a 4K Blu-ray player this afternoon so I’m not buying anything this sale. I am excited to watch some of my 4k VS movies once my hdmi cable for the player arrives from Amazon tomorrow.

Adam Tyner 09-01-22 05:19 PM

New titles went up today!

The Amityville Horror (UHD)
Mutant Hunt
Buried Alive
The Iceman Cometh (including the Mandarin and Hong Kong cuts)
Red Sun Rising

Bear in mind that 88 is also putting out The Iceman Cometh.

The most surprising of the partner label titles is Married to the Mob!

Also:

Over the weekend of September 23rd, we'll be hosting our Flash Pre-order in anticipation of our always colossal Black Friday Sale! During the pre-order you'll be able to secure your copies of the entire Vinegar Syndrome branded November lineup. Three of our 5 November VS releases will be revealed, including full specs and extras, among them four never-on-blu slashers and an ultra-violent HK actioner directed by one of the genre's undisputed masters. We'll also be revealing, and putting up for pre-order, our next VSU, which is an 80s action classic with a legendary leading performance from a Hollywood superstar.

Related to the Black Friday Sale, we're slightly changing the way we'll be selling Yearly Subscriptions for 2023. The basic Subscription model will remain the same, but specifically when we sell the Subscriptions will be a bit different. More info will follow as we get closer to the sale, but we believe this new structure will be a major benefit to subscribers, both those looking forward to renewing as well as those who are planning to join for the first time.

dex14 09-06-22 10:03 AM

Vineger Syndrome is apparently releasing Chuck Norris' Sidekicks on UHD.

rocket1312 09-06-22 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14159470)
Vineger Syndrome is apparently releasing Chuck Norris' Sidekicks on UHD.

Wow. I don't even recall Sidekicks ever getting an r1 dvd release, much less a Blu-ray.

Just thinking about a teenager in 1992 being obsessed with Chuck Norris makes me laugh.

dex14 09-06-22 11:25 AM

More Rothrock.

Toddarino 09-06-22 03:30 PM

All these 1990’s martial arts movies that VS is obsessed with recently is really saving me money.

LorenzoL 09-06-22 05:45 PM

Were people really clamoring for Sidekicks to be on UHD? I think Blu-ray would have been fine.

dsa_shea 09-06-22 09:30 PM

When will the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 release be announced and up for pre-order?

Adam Tyner 09-06-22 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 14159813)
When will the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 release be announced and up for pre-order?

It’s part of their October slate, so noon ET on 10/1. Also on the docket are a Paul Naschy film in UHD, an ‘80s international slasher, and a first-time-on-disc Italian horror movie. TCM2 is the only title we know so far.

Spiderbite 09-07-22 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 14159711)
Were people really clamoring for Sidekicks to be on UHD? I think Blu-ray would have been fine.

Why complain? Any release is better than no release. And why not release it in the best current quality medium possible if something is going to be released?

Brian T 09-07-22 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 14159711)

I don't think people are clamouring for 4K versions of a lot of these kinds of films that are coming out from the boutique labels. FLESHEATER? SCANNER COP? TICKS? Come on. But hey, if you do want them (and haven't actually seen them to know better), you're kinda stuck. Of course, old DVDs are more than good enough for all four of these films in particular, but who knows if those are still in print. It reeks of a cash grab because they know some folks will buy buy buy regardless. I can understand bigger studio films, maybe even certain cult classics, but seriously, SIDEKICKS in particular is just barely better than a TV pilot movie, and it likely only resonates with guys who were tweens or teens when it came out and who probably hadn't or haven't seen Norris's larger catalog yet, which makes a 4K release just a wee bit gouge-y. Perhaps VS is contractually obligated to release forgettable stuff like this in order to get a crack at better Norris titles? What's next, TOP DOG in 4K? Geez . . .

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 14160123)
And why not release it in the best current quality medium possible if something is going to be released?

If that's the case, then why isn't VS (and others) releasing all of their new titles in the best current quality medium? Clearly some films – even far better ones than SIDEKICKS – are still only worthy of fuzzy old Blu-ray. :)

Spiderbite 09-08-22 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 14160130)
If that's the case, then why isn't VS (and others) releasing all of their new titles in the best current quality medium? Clearly some films – even far better ones than SIDEKICKS – are still only worthy of fuzzy old Blu-ray. :)

Give it time. Likely a lot of things you want will make it to 4K.

As far as your first question, could be rights issues, access to the film negative, studio interference, etc.

I am just glad someone is showing some interest in getting some 4K UHD out there...no matter what it is at this point. Eventually some of my favorites will hopefully get picked up.

clckworang 09-08-22 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 14160130)
I don't think people are clamouring for 4K versions of a lot of these kinds of films that are coming out from the boutique labels. FLESHEATER? SCANNER COP? TICKS? Come on. But hey, if you do want them (and haven't actually seen them to know better), you're kinda stuck. Of course, old DVDs are more than good enough for all four of these films in particular, but who knows if those are still in print. It reeks of a cash grab because they know some folks will buy buy buy regardless. I can understand bigger studio films, maybe even certain cult classics, but seriously, SIDEKICKS in particular is just barely better than a TV pilot movie, and it likely only resonates with guys who were tweens or teens when it came out and who probably hadn't or haven't seen Norris's larger catalog yet, which makes a 4K release just a wee bit gouge-y. Perhaps VS is contractually obligated to release forgettable stuff like this in order to get a crack at better Norris titles? What's next, TOP DOG in 4K? Geez . . .

You do realize the consumers that Vinegar Syndrome primarily seems to target, right? Older males that were probably in their teens or tweens when a movie like Sidekicks was released. And you are aware of the types of movies they tend to release and champion?

Why don't they release more on UHD? Spiderbite seemed to cover that pretty well. These are typically very low-budget films that VS is dealing with. I'm sure there are issues with source material, rights, not to mention the money put into restoration. I'm sure there are a number of factors.

It probably reeks of a cash grab because it is. They're a company meant to make money. They're betting on people buying this regardless! But no one is being forced to buy Sidekicks. If I weren't a subscriber, I certainly wouldn't be adding it to my collection, but as you say, there are Norris fans and people who might look on this film with nostalgia. So, there should be some interest.

I guess the bigger question for me is: what is your obsession with formats and trying to keep things on lower ones? This is another Blu-ray thread that you comment on wanting things in lesser formats and how there are movies that *you* deem good enough for only inferior formats and so shouldn't be released in better quality. Well, some people disagree with your opinions and would prefer things released in higher quality. Hell, if more people shared your attitude, VS probably wouldn't exist. Again, you're not forced to buy anything. You can continue to clutch your DVD version or VCD or VHS or whatever. No one is going to come to your home and take it away from you. Don't begrudge the rest of us who would prefer Blu-ray or UHD. You're right that some of those DVDs might be OOP, just like these films likely had VHS releases that are OOP, too. Times and formats change. Come on.

And I like that there is a company like VS releasing movies in 4k that other companies wouldn't touch. It's better for the format to have a number of different types of movies available.