Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Vinegar Syndrome Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Vinegar Syndrome Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-22, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts
re: The Official Vinegar Syndrome Thread

I guess it's from being in CA for so long, but I was surprised that there were states where you didn't have to pay your local state sales tax even when purchasing online.
Old 06-09-22, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

What's this thing called "Sales Tax". I don't understand.
Old 06-09-22, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I guess it's from being in CA for so long, but I was surprised that there were states where you didn't have to pay your local state sales tax even when purchasing online.
At least in my home state of South Carolina, we were always supposed to pay sales tax, even if it wasn’t collected on our behalf. There’s a box for that when filing taxes.

It seems like most places I order from automatically collect tax, but VinSyn (till now, anyway?), Synapse, Diabolik, and Bull Moose have been some of the exceptions.
Old 06-10-22, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
At least in my home state of South Carolina, we were always supposed to pay sales tax, even if it wasn’t collected on our behalf. There’s a box for that when filing taxes.
Yeah, that's why I'm glad they started just adding tax to everything, because I got that "Did you buy anything online?" question from TurboTax, I'm like, yeah right I'm gonna try to find all my Amazon shipping confirmations and just checked "no". I was always worried that one day some IRS agent with a stick up his ass and too much time on his hands would flag that for an audit or something.
Old 06-13-22, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I found Voyage of the Rock Aliens on YouTube and that's one fun movie. It's kind of light on the plot but the songs are catchy and fun. I think I'll be ordering it once the website is back on July 1st.
Old 06-28-22, 10:15 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

anyone had any experience with Orbit DVD? good, bad, etc.? thx.
Old 06-28-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by OldBoy
anyone had any experience with Orbit DVD?
I've been to their brick-and-mortar store in Asheville, NC a few times, and they're terrific.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (06-28-22)
Old 06-28-22, 10:27 AM

thanks AT. snagged Cloak & Dagger finally and didn't have to spend eBay prices. could be here by weekend. can't wait.

i assume all the extras are on the blu, as well as, the movie?

Last edited by OldBoy; 06-28-22 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-28-22, 05:56 PM

How much was Cloak & Dagger on the VS site?
Old 06-28-22, 06:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

anyone had any experience with Orbit DVD? good, bad, etc.? thx.
Solid company to purchase from. I’ve bought a lot from them.
OldBoy (06-28-22)
Old 06-28-22, 06:18 PM

Yeah, thx. I saw it, took a shot and much less than eBay. Plus, be here by weekend as already shipped. Can’t wait to revisit and see those extras.
Old 06-28-22, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

How much was Cloak & Dagger on the VS site?
About 40 for the edition with the slipcover and book inside the clasp box. Really nice presentation.
Old 06-28-22, 07:54 PM

Cool. I only paid $7 more at Orbit. Should be here Friday.
Old 06-28-22, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Just out of curiosity why did you pay $7 more? Why not just buy it direct from VS?
Old 06-29-22, 07:44 AM

Bc it was available now at a reasonable price. Didn’t think there was too big a difference. And, the VS shop doesn’t open up to non-partnership or whatever till July, so I wanted to get while I could.
Old 06-30-22, 11:25 AM

so happy about my C&D. very nice set! can't wait to revisit tonight.

John Pannozzi (08-05-22)
Old 07-01-22, 11:14 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I think I’m sticking with 88’s release.

Righting Wrongs

Ships around street date of July 26th

Details
This special limited edition 3-disc Blu-ray Set comes with a hard slipcase + slipcover combo (designed by Tony Stella & Earl Kessler Jr.) includes a 40-page perfect bound book and is limited to 6,000 units. Only available here at VinegarSyndrome.com!

Martial Arts legend Yuen Biao stars as Ha Ling-Ching, a respected prosecutor who has always followed the rule of law, but has recently found himself frustrated by the ineffectiveness of the court system. Ha is pushed over the edge by the murder of a key witness in a trial along with the witness's entire family. Fed up with the court's inability to punish the guilty and protect the innocent, Ha decides to take the law into his own hands and eliminate those responsible for the murders. Soon, Ha's actions catch the interest of C.I.D. Senior Inspector Cindy See (Cynthia Rothrock) and her slovenly new partner known as Stink Egg (Corey Yuen). While trying to stop Ha, Cindy uncovers who is really behind the recent murders and the two must put aside their differences in order to take down the criminal organization before they go unpunished.

Heavily re-edited and released in different versions throughout the world, RIGHTING WRONGS - released in an English-friendly version under the title Above The Law - is one of the more infamous Hong Kong action films to be released in the 80s. Directed by prolific action director, Corey Yuen, RIGHTING WRONGS explodes with jaw-dropping fight choreography and features strong performances by Yuen Biao, Cynthia Rothrock, Corey Yuen, and Melvin Wong, along with scene-stealing fight cameos by Peter Cunningham and Karen Sheperd. Vinegar Syndrome is extremely proud to present RIGHTING WRONGS on Blu-ray, featuring three different cuts of the movie (including both the "darker" ending as well as the more "audience-friendly" ending) and loaded with a multitude of special features exclusive to this release, including the incredible THE BEST OF MARTIAL ARTS FILMS feature-length documentary from 1990 which includes several interviews and footage from the stars of RIGHTING WRONGS!

directed by: Corey Yuen
starring: Yuen Biao, Cynthia Rothrock, Melvin Wong, Karen Sheperd, Peter Cunningham, Corey Yuen
1986 / 96,100,92 min / 1.85:1 / Multi-Language Mono

Additional info (* = exclusively produced for this release):

3-disc Region A Blu-ray Set
Three different unaltered original feature-length presentations of the film, including: the original Hong Kong cut (96min) with Cantonese, English & Mandarin language tracks along with newly translated Cantonese-to-English subtitles; the extended and vastly different Mandarin language export cut (100min) with newly translated Mandarin-to-English subtitles; and the English friendly ABOVE THE LAW cut (92min).
"THE BEST OF MARTIAL ARTS FILMS (1990)" (91min) - feature-length documentary hosted by John Saxon and including footage and interviews with Cynthia Rothrock, Yuen Biao, Karen Sheperd, Jackie Chan, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bruce Lee and many more!
Brand new commentary track with actress Cynthia Rothrock *
Archival commentary track with Cynthia Rothrock
Critical commentary track with martial arts film historians Mike Leeder and Arne Venema *
"Fighting Wrongs" (25min) - a brand new interview with Cynthia Rothrock *
"Unscripted Justice" (35min) - a brand new interview with actress Karen Sheperd *
"Kung Fu Was The Equalizer" (20min) - a brand new interview with actor Melvin Wong *
"Fighting For Success" (20min) - a brand new interview with actor Peter Cunningham *
"The Vigilante" (17min) - an archival interview with star Yuen Biao
"Action Overload" (13min) - an archival interview with Cynthia Rothrock
"From the Ring to the Silver Screen" (19min) - an archival interview with Peter Cunningham
Video essay with film historians Samm Deighan and Charles Perks *
Cantonese and English theatrical trailers for RIGHTING WRONGS
Theatrical trailer for THE BEST OF MARTIAL ARTS FILMS
40-page perfect bound book with essays by film programmer Pearl Chan, author and martial arts historian Grady Hendrix and filmmaker/fan Simon Barrett *
Photo gallery
Reversible cover artwork
Newly translated English subtitles

Last edited by dex14; 07-01-22 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-01-22, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Prices went up again. Regular VS titles have an MSRP of $42.98. VSAs and double features are more expensive now too.
Old 07-01-22, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Prices went up again. Regular VS titles have an MSRP of $42.98. VSAs and double features are more expensive now too.
So...taking down the site and having just various independent releases up was all smoke and mirrors for an entire site price increase. Smart.
Old 07-01-22, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
So...taking down the site and having just various independent releases up was all smoke and mirrors
To be fair, VS has been taking the site down for years following big sales, and it's also standard practice for them to not release anything themselves in June or December.

Still, while I haven't been keeping track, this is, what, the third price increase in the past 12 months? Probably an exaggeration, but it sure doesn't feel like it.
Old 07-01-22, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sucks about the price increase. They're already one of the more expensive boutique labels out there, and even the half-price sales have me spending a lot of cash on not a lot of discs.

I do like the specs on the Righting Wrongs disc though, especially the inclusion of The Deadliest Art documentary. Another LD I can retire.

Finally got my Halfway package yesterday, can't wait to dig in. Sadly, with the season finale of Last Drive In tonight, and a big punk rock show tomorrow, I won't really be able to watch more than one or two this weekend.
Old 07-01-22, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

You start to wonder when the price increases go from necessary due to increased costs or just wanting to bleed a few more dollars for each title from the customers. That along with the taxes that some are now having to pay for their stuff might just be too much for a lot of customers and ultimately hurt VS for now.
Old 07-01-22, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Domino effect of the economy in general. The boss is paying more to put gas in his Lexus, the electric bills are higher, lunch costs more. You think he's just gonna eat those costs?
Old 07-01-22, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Jack Be Nimble has only been up for five and a half hours, and it’s already more than halfway sold through. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s sold out before the long weekend’s over (and maybe even tonight!).

Hopefully Sampo makes it into August so I can order it alongside next month’s VS titles.
Old 07-01-22, 05:00 PM

I guess I only paid $2 bux more using Orbit for C&D. That’s cool. And such fast turnaround. Wonderful transfer and love the extras. Especially fan girl’s show on Atari and C&D.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.