DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Disney ending live action catalog 4K Physical Media??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/651048-disney-ending-live-action-catalog-4k-physical-media.html)

DJariya 08-09-20 10:26 AM

Re: Disney ending live action catalog 4K Physical Media???

What's the biggest FOX/Disney live action title that you all desperately want on 4K physical media?

I mean just the top off my head, I guess True Lies or The Abyss are the two top ones still sitting in the vaults. What's another big Disney title that you all desperately and would buy as soon as it's available?

Bluelitespecial 08-09-20 11:12 AM

Finishing the Die Hard Movies, the Alien Series, Fight Club, The Beach, Fight Club, and True Lies just to name a few.

morriscroy 08-09-20 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13786255)
What's the biggest FOX/Disney live action title that you all desperately want on 4K physical media?

I mean just the top off my head, I guess True Lies or The Abyss are the two top ones still sitting in the vaults. What's another big Disney title that you all desperately and would buy as soon as it's available?

The only title which might be able to convince me to finally buy a 4Kbluray player, is the original Star Wars movie unabridged.

bunkaroo 08-09-20 11:28 AM

In addition to the titles listed above specific Disney and Fox titles I want are:

Big Trouble in Little China
Cast Away
Heat (when did this become Fox? Used to be WB)
No Country For Old Men
Point Break (original)
Tombstone
X-Files: Fight the Future

These are from just browsing my favorite films in my collection that are listed as Disney or Fox on Blu-ray.com.

Bluelitespecial 08-09-20 11:40 AM

Warner Bros put out Heat but I think the production studio that made it (Regency Enterprises) is now associated with Fox/Disney. No Country for Old Men is a Miramax title and I believe Paramount now owns their library.

Adam Tyner 08-09-20 11:43 AM

As far as Fox specifically goes, Aliens, if I had to pick one. I'd want as many of their large format films as possible too: The Sound of Music, Patton, Cleopatra, The King and I, Oklahoma!...

DJariya 08-09-20 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 13786277)
In addition to the titles listed above specific Disney and Fox titles I want are:

Big Trouble in Little China
Cast Away
Heat (when did this become Fox? Used to be WB)
No Country For Old Men
Point Break (original)
Tombstone
X-Files: Fight the Future

These are from just browsing my favorite films in my collection that are listed as Disney or Fox on Blu-ray.com.

Big Trouble in Little China is currently out on Shout.

dsa_shea 08-09-20 03:40 PM

Having just received my first "you have used almost all of your alloted data for the month" notification, I am becoming more aware and selective of what I watch via streaming. These companies want to push us to more and more streaming but are not the ones that will have to pay for extra data for that high quality streaming. In summary, if there is not a physical copy available then there is a good chance I will likely not bother watching it.

rocket1312 08-09-20 03:47 PM

Just off the top of my head...

French Connection
Planet of the Apes
Moulin Rouge
Gone Girl
X-Files
Black Swan

​And what's with the "desperately" and "buy as soon as it's available" stuff? None of this is life or death obviously, but physical media or not, it's pretty clear that Disney has no interest in Fox's cinematic legacy outside of whatever ip they can exploit. I think we all knew that when the deal went down, but this is just another cruel reminder. As a movie fan it sucks.

Alan Smithee 08-09-20 04:53 PM

The Abyss is one title that really NEEDS a better edition- the DVD wasn't even 16x9. I have True Lies on D-VHS, and truth be told it isn't even a great movie.

bunkaroo 08-09-20 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13786294)
Big Trouble in Little China is currently out on Shout.

Unfortunately not in 4K UHD.

OldBoy 08-09-20 09:13 PM

Yes. 3D wins! :lol:

morriscroy 08-10-20 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Match (Post 13785873)

This is odd, because current Disney CEO Bob Chapek was for years (back to the early days of Blu-ray) the president of the studio’s home entertainment division. And while he’s certainly had his hands full lately, stepping up to the role of company CEO just as the pandemic hit, I’m hopeful he’ll realize that rejuvenating home entertainment can help put the company in a stronger position. He’s even made a bit of noise in the direction in recent interviews (see here), though only in regard to VOD and Digital. Regardless, Disney currently seems to have almost no physical media strategy other than to simply ignore it.

If there was ever a "Nixon goes to China" scenario for the physical dvd/bluray/4Kbluray market, this is likely it ^

It takes a former president of a big movie studio's home entertainment division, to accelerate the destruction / demise of physical disc media.

fujishig 08-10-20 08:24 AM

Reading back through the article, I'm a little confused. He sites that Paramount, Universal, Sony and Lionsgate Home Video divisions did great (which is understandable in the pandemic) but from reading those articles, those divisions include digital sales as well as disc sales. Unless there's a breakdown I'm missing or some understanding that physical still dwarfs physical, I'm not sure that supports his conclusion that Disney should focus on discs.

I still think it makes more sense for them to do limited releases and garner some "gotta get them now" kind of hype, because digital and streaming have kind of blown that urgency out of the water and everyone can just wait for sales. Heck, even at the end of the article there, there's hype for that limited steelbook of 300 selling out like super fast. I know for myself that I haven't bought any Marvel/Star Wars 4k movies since Disney + launched with the exception of the blowout steelbooks at Best Buy, not even the last Star Wars film (which I didn't mind) because I knew I'd have access to them in the foreseeable future and I could wait. Heck, while I'm not sure what prompted that steelbook blowout I tend to think it shows that demand plummeted for a lot of the stuff that was available on Disney Plus.

b2net 08-10-20 10:18 AM

It could be they are looking to be digital only as a way to cut some costs associated to manufacturing and distribution as well as keep a tight we control of product prices.

For example many of us for great deals on Disney Steelbooks from Best Buy. While BB likely paid Disney appropriately and BB took a loss during the sales (likely covered as a business loss expense for tax purposes), the lower prices may in Disney's minds damage the value of their properties.

So if they keep a tighter control of sale prices of their products they feel they keep up the value and potentially have higher future returns on product.

Coral 08-10-20 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13786364)
Having just received my first "you have used almost all of your alloted data for the month" notification, I am becoming more aware and selective of what I watch via streaming. These companies want to push us to more and more streaming but are not the ones that will have to pay for extra data for that high quality streaming. In summary, if there is not a physical copy available then there is a good chance I will likely not bother watching it.

It's been a few years since I've heard of someone having a data cap on their home internet.

This isn't surprising in the least and I expect more and more studios to follow. Always scratched my head when some on this forum in the other thread claimed that UHD-BD would rejuvenate physical media sales. It just made no sense. Very few people give a crap about discs anymore.

fujishig 08-10-20 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13786701)
It's been a few years since I've heard of someone having a data cap on their home internet.

This isn't surprising in the least and I expect more and more studios to follow. Always scratched my head when some on this forum in the other thread claimed that UHD-BD would rejuvenate physical media sales. It just made no sense. Very few people give a crap about discs anymore.

I think most people in the US have a data cap, it's just generally pretty high unless you're doing something like torrenting. But working from home and zoom meetings for school (and constant streaming because of being stuck at home) have surely tested that. Initially the ISPs got rid of caps but reinstated them like a month or so ago. So I get it if people are running into caps now that they weren't before.

Adam Tyner 08-10-20 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13786636)
Reading back through the article, I'm a little confused.

The premise is a bit flawed too: that Disney is ceasing to release live-action catalog titles outside of certain key franchises. But, aside from Marvel and Star Wars, they never actually did. (Since Hocus Pocus and Home Alone aren't out yet, that's true.) Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only live-action catalog title outside of Marvel and Star Wars that Disney's released on Ultra HD Blu-ray was The Prestige -- which was remastered/authored by Warner Bros., who holds the rights overseas. How can you stop doing something you never actually started?

Coral 08-10-20 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13786711)
I think most people in the US have a data cap, it's just generally pretty high unless you're doing something like torrenting. But working from home and zoom meetings for school (and constant streaming because of being stuck at home) have surely tested that. Initially the ISPs got rid of caps but reinstated them like a month or so ago. So I get it if people are running into caps now that they weren't before.

What's the average data cap in the US?

Adam Tyner 08-10-20 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13786734)
What's the average data cap in the US?

Here's an overview.

fujishig 08-10-20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13786760)

I was actually surprised that Spectrum doesn't have a cap, but then later in the article it says this:

Spectrum does not enforce any data caps. When the FCC approved the merger of Charter, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House into the single brand of Spectrum, it ruled that the new provider couldn’t charge overages or impose data caps for at least seven years. Although it may not last forever, that’s great news for consumers now.
So enjoy no data cap for... two more years, I guess.

milo bloom 08-10-20 12:29 PM

We have 1.2 TB through Xfinity. We stream and download stuff all the time and rarely hit it, if ever. And that's with us working and doing school from home too.

We've got a good bit of stuff offline if we ever hit the cap.

DJariya 08-10-20 12:34 PM

Maybe looking at the financials, they probably deduced the demand isn't there? :shrug: It's definitely so much cheaper to put out a 4K digital copy on iTunes.

4K discs in general are roughly $10 to 15 more expensive than regular BDs. And even catalog titles aren't really on sale that much. Sure, if you wait long enough they will get a discount at some point. But, in general, the majority here don't pay 1st week prices for 4K discs which are anywhere from $25 to $35.

John Pannozzi 08-10-20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 13785969)
A hearty "fuck you" to everyone who thought Disney acquiring Fox was awesome because the X-Men could be in the MCU.

I'm hoping against hope that Disney might sell off the rights to some of the less-franchisable entries in the Fox library, if only so they could make a quick buck to recover from their theme parks currently flopping

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13786722)
The premise is a bit flawed too: that Disney is ceasing to release live-action catalog titles outside of certain key franchises. But, aside from Marvel and Star Wars, they never actually did. (Since Hocus Pocus and Home Alone aren't out yet, that's true.) Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only live-action catalog title outside of Marvel and Star Wars that Disney's released on Ultra HD Blu-ray was The Prestige -- which was remastered/authored by Warner Bros., who holds the rights overseas. How can you stop doing something you never actually started?

Yeah, Disney can be pretty stingy with physical media. Not only with live-action HD, but also TV on DVD (we still haven't gotten the final episodes of Darkwing Duck or Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers on disc).

And the Fox film & TV library is bigger than any other currently owned by Disney (i.e. Lucasfilm, the Muppets Studio, Marvel and whatever they have left of Fox Family), so that makes even more shows we're not damn likely to see outside of streaming in the foreseeable future.

Bluelitespecial 08-10-20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi (Post 13786880)
I'm hoping against hope that Disney might sell off the rights to some of the less-franchisable entries in the Fox library, if only so they could make a quick buck to recover from their theme parks currently flopping.

If Disney is in any type of dire straits from the COVID shutdowns I would hope they start selling off some properties in the Fox Library. Sell them to studios who actually care about preserving film history.