Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How will you adjust your collecting habits in the changing media landscape?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-20, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: How will you adjust your collecting habits in the changing media landscape?

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Fast-forward 15 years;

"Right now is actually the BEST time to be a movie collector, all the best editions, 16K at its cheapest, just about all the important titles are out. I wish I could’ve skip the 4K era somehow..."
Fast forward another 30 years, it will be holodecks !!!

Old 08-06-20, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
I'm kind of surprised by the amount of people on here avoiding 4K. The improved Audio and Video are incredible and well worth it from my point of view (assuming you have the ability to see and hear it properly).

I just wish the digital options were better. Not being able to download 4k titles, and the compression over streaming are turn offs for me.
I think a big thing is that just DVD was a big jump over VHS and Blu was (sorta) big jump over DVD, 4k just isn't seen as that big of a jump over Blu.
Both DVD and Blu made such huge leaps over fuzzy, pan and scan, tinny sound VHS, that it really felt like something special. But 4K just feels like getting that extra 1 or 2% of performance out of something and for many that's not worth the extra cost and effort.

Now, considering that Blu came out in 2007 and no doubt some of the early encodes were not as good as they could be, I can see replacing those with 4K and certainly some DVDs. But I still have DVDs that I've spun up on my 60" display and, while I can tell they're a little dated, they still look really good.

That's kinda where I am. If a DVD is good enough, it stays. If not, it gets sold on eBay. If it's something we want to have on physical media, then I'll maybe look at 4K and see how the price is, but generally I'd go for Blu since those are pretty good prices now.
Old 08-06-20, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Adam Tyner;13782959

. There just aren't enough hours in the day anymore to watch movies the way I used to. .[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I'm not saying that I don't watch my DVD / Blu's anymore. Just that it's getting harder and harder to find the time to watch one or even two in a row now. But I still do buy the releases when I want to. When something new or re-released in a improved quality. one example was the recent release of War of the Worlds. My theory is to keep buying what I like and find the time later on. When available.
Old 08-06-20, 08:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Change is good. Embrace it. Most things in 1 place. Have my favorites together. Sometimes all together in multiple formats. I’m content. Nothings really changed in years except got rid of DVDs. Nothing else will go though. And isn’t The Irishman being done by Criterion and widely known?
Old 08-07-20, 07:32 AM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
And isn’t The Irishman being done by Criterion and widely known?
Don't know, but that was just an example. You can substitute any "XYZ Original Content" that's unavailable to purchase in any form. Part of the enjoyment for me is having everything in one place, whether it's physical or digital bookshelves for when I want to pick something out to watch.
Old 08-07-20, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
I'm kind of surprised by the amount of people on here avoiding 4K. The improved Audio and Video are incredible and well worth it from my point of view (assuming you have the ability to see and hear it properly).

I just wish the digital options were better. Not being able to download 4k titles, and the compression over streaming are turn offs for me.
My beef with 4K is that, when it was first released, it seemed like an unnecessary additional format. We already had Blu-Ray and DVD, which the general public was STILL clueless about. Now, we're adding a THIRD format, another HD format, kinda like Blu-Ray, but kinda different, that will confuse the public even more. It boils down to, I don't think UHD is that much of an improvement over Blu-Ray and the aspects that are an improvement are aspects that are either dependent on the viewer having the right equipment, or things the general public won't really notice to begin with.

On the other hand, UHD sort of feels like Blu-Ray 2.0; it feels like this is what Blu-ray was suppose to be. For years, Blu-Ray felt like an incomplete format. You had the profile issues, region-coding, the royalty thing (which never made a whole lot of sense to me), bad/poor/old HD masters/remasters (plus the format war for two years, which I think did more harm than good). UHD did away with region-coding, it seemed to work properly right off the bat, Sony isn't demanding royalties, a lot of older stuff is getting released with new/proper remasters. Unfortunately, no one cares about it.

As for the whole collecting aspect, I think I'm pretty much done with it. I've been scaling back my collection for the last couple years and really haven't added much. I just don't feel there's a whole lot I need to own anymore. Most of what I watch, I don't feel a need to revisit. Honestly, that whole desire or appeal of having a movie library, isn't there for me anymore.
Old 08-07-20, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

HD-DVD didn't have region coding. Having a multi-region 4K player, I've found that some 4K discs still behave differently depending on what region the player is set to- Fox discs show the usual FBI warning when on Region A but show a generalized international copyright warning when set to the other regions, as do some of their regular Blu-Rays that are coded for all regions.

So far 4K still hasn't wowed me, and I greatly resent its inability to do 3D. I'll still buy 2D titles on 4K when available, but I haven't seen enough difference from regular Blu-Ray to "upgrade" titles I already have on that. Regular DVDs on the other hand usually look like ass, they really need to go since they look worse than HD streaming.
Old 08-07-20, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
Exactly. I'm not saying that I don't watch my DVD / Blu's anymore. Just that it's getting harder and harder to find the time to watch one or even two in a row now. But I still do buy the releases when I want to. When something new or re-released in a improved quality. one example was the recent release of War of the Worlds. My theory is to keep buying what I like and find the time later on. When available.
I have three TVs in my living room.

I usually reserve one for sports (no need for audio)and the other two for Tv shows,movies and sports.

If I am watching a series(James Bond,Halloween,etc) of movies and the time is short I will watch the following movie on another tv while completing the previous one.
Old 08-10-20, 03:03 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I graduated from College back in 2014. Ever since then, I've lived with my parents and have only sporadically been employed (with some internships in between). And I'm running out of space.

Hopefully, I'll be able to find a steady job and my own place once the pandemic clears up.

Until then, I'm not collecting much physical media.
Old 08-10-20, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life

I usually reserve one for sports (no need for audio)and the other two for Tv shows,movies and sports.

If I am watching a series(James Bond,Halloween,etc) of movies and the time is short I will watch the following movie on another tv while completing the previous one.
This seems...odd?
Old 08-10-20, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Sounds like what I've seen on some channels where they split the screen and show the ending credits in one half and the start of the next show in the other.
Old 08-10-20, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I know a guy who has multiple TVs in his living room and he, his wife, and his daughter sometimes watch different things with headphones on. That sounds really weird to me but whatever works, I guess. I certainly wouldn't want to watch a movie like that.
Old 08-10-20, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I might not want to be sitting in a room with everyone watching different stuff, but that at least makes a certain sort of sense. Heck, with tablets nowadays that sort of thing probably happens all the time. Putting two movies on at the same time to "save time" feels antithetical to the whole point of watching movies. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-11-20, 07:25 AM

When flat panel TVs got ultra cheap, I bought a 32" and put it on a swing mount behind my 70". Anytime I'd have friends over for sports, we'd swing the one out and have two games going at once. The rest of the time it was behind the 70" and you didn't even know it was there.
Old 08-11-20, 07:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am not upgrading too much, I have about 150 digital movies, but my DVD collection is over 2000, I have plenty of shelves/bookcases and kind find most of my stuff, I have an oppo-203 that upconverts and stuff looks good. I have about 50 blu-ray. I just can't upgrade something for the vhs->dvd->blu-ray->4k->digital... at some point, I'm good. I'm pretty much at that point. I will probably buy 3-5 blu-rays on Black Friday but that's about by limit these days. Most of the stuff I will buy will probably be digital moving forward.

I do like collecting TV on digital as it is easier to share and binge with my family.
Old 08-12-20, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've definitely curbed my spending significantly over the years. The majority of the classics I own on Blu are fine--I'm not intending on upgrading to 4K. I'll occasionally pick up some catalog titles for cheap. But part of it is I don't follow current movie trends nearly as much, so I'm less likely to head to a Best Buy on a Tuesday for something I can't possibly wait for. Like others have said, there's only so much time to spend watching movies. I'm just glad to own my favorites, in the event that I can't stream or download something years from now.
Old 08-12-20, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Back in 2007-2011, I would accumulate a lot. For a number of months, I bought every Criterion Blu that would come out (remember the weird paper gatefolds?). Disney movies with those $10 off coupons. I would have a sense of whether any movie was available on BD or not, since I’d keep up on releases from multiple sites.

The last movie I actually went out of my way to drive and get was the Fury Road steelbook (which I saw in theaters and still haven’t re-watched on disc). Now, I only buy a few things a year at most, in 4K if possible. That Once Upon a Time in Hollywood release with the 45 was great.

Last edited by bluetoast; 08-12-20 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-12-20, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life

Originally Posted by rocket1312
This seems...odd?
I knew Elvis was still alive! And posting on DVDtalk only makes the legacy stronger.
Old 08-12-20, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Apparently I'll be buying fewer Disney & 20th Century Fox films on disc.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (08-13-20)
Old 08-13-20, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Apparently I'll be buying fewer Disney & 20th Century Fox films on disc.
Yup, and that's the type of thing that led to this thread. If you want one of those titles, your options are to either hang onto the Blu Ray or if you want the best quality A/V, subscribe to D+ with no way to add the title to your library.
Old 08-13-20, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Disney denies it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#1ab41a8c48c7
Old 08-19-20, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

The blu-ray annoucenments thread had not been updated until April 13, 2020 so maybe people are not buying or those people now just care for 4K discs.