Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 06-08-24, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 698 Likes on 516 Posts
Re: The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by slop101
There's also 4 volumes (with more coming) of these sets from Shout....
Iíve read that Shout is done with their Shaw acquisitions now, so itís these four plus the Brave Archer and Ti/Chiang sets. Happy to be corrected on that.

Itís indeed impressive how many weíve gotten on Blu, and in decent special editions to boot. Iíd be curious how that total (so far) stacks up against the number of DVD era releases from Tokyo Shock, Dragon Dynasty, Funimation, Image, etc). Even if itís more, I suspect there are some titles from that era that havenít been upgraded yet, which makes me wonder what will happen when Arrow releases Volume 4, which is supposed to be their last one, isnít it? Maybe the singles will continue from various labels? There are nearly a thousand Shaw films after all, and Celestial put out 760 on disc in Hong Kong (plus an additional 200-ish never-on-disc-anywhere titles in the 668-movie Ziieagle player, albeit many with edits), and even factoring out the films that wouldnít sell over here, thereís still one heck of an impressive chunk of martial arts movies that might stay out of reach.

Itís not hard to be grateful for what weíve gotten so far, but I do hope that the quality of all of these boutique presentations and (presumably) the sales figures would prompt Celestial/IVL/Shaw to let Shout, Arrow, 88 Films et al continue dipping into their Shaw vaults in perpetuity rather than releasing a finite number of titles.

Last edited by Brian T; 06-08-24 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-08-24, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,094 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Iíve read that Shout is done with their Shaw acquisitions now, so itís these four plus the Brave Archer and Ti/Chiang sets. Happy to be corrected on that.

Itís indeed impressive how many weíve gotten on Blu, and in decent special editions to boot. Iíd be curious how that total (so far) stacks up against the number of DVD era releases from Tokyo Shock, Dragon Dynasty, Funimation, Image, etc). Even if itís more, I suspect there are some titles from that era that havenít been upgraded yet, which makes me wonder what will happen when Arrow releases Volume 4, which is supposed to be their last one, isnít it? Maybe the singles will continue from various labels? There are nearly a thousand Shaw films after all, and Celestial put out 760 on disc in Hong Kong (plus an additional 200-ish never-on-disc-anywhere titles in the 668-movie Ziieagle player, albeit many with edits), and even factoring out the films that wouldnít sell over here, thereís still one heck of an impressive chunk of martial arts movies that might stay out of reach.

Itís not hard to be grateful for what weíve gotten so far, but I do hope that the quality of all of these boutique presentations and (presumably) the sales figures would prompt Celestial/IVL/Shaw to let Shout, Arrow, 88 Films et al continue dipping into their Shaw vaults in perpetuity rather than releasing a finite number of titles.
I believe there were about 100 titles released on DVD in the US across various labels. I'm kind of doing this off the top of my head, but I'd guess there are about a dozen that have yet to see a blu-ray release in the US or UK.

As for further Shaw Bros. releases, it looks like 88 is diving back in this fall with:

The Golden Lotus
The Shadow Boxing
To Kill a Mastermind

The Golden Lotus is certainly outside of the typical American comfort zone and To Kill a Mastermind has to this point, if I'm not mistaken, been unavailable outside of the Ziieagle box.

Edit: Here's the list of all of the titles that got US DVD releases. There were 102 total across multiple labels. 75 of those titles have received (or will soon receive) a blu-ray release in either the US or the UK. The titles with no release are marked with an asterisk. A couple of those have releases in countries like France or Germany, but not many.

Spoiler:

Dragon Dynasty (23/23)

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
King Boxer
The One-Armed Swordsman
My Young Auntie
Come Drink With Me
Heroes Of The East
The 5 Venoms
Return To The 36th Chamber
Return of the One-Armed Swordsman
Crippled Avengers
The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter
Shaolin Mantis
Disciples of the 36th Chamber
Five Shaolin Masters
Executioner From Shaolin
Mad Monkey Kung Fu
Martial Arts of Shaolin
Golden Swallow
Blood Brothers
Killer Clans
Avenging Eagle
Flying Guillotine
Flying Guillotine 2

Image (17/31)

Black Magic
Super Inframan
The Water Margin
The Boxer's Omen
* The Cave of the Silken Web
Legendary Weapons Of China
Have Sword, Will Travel
* The Wandering Swordsman
* Vengeance Is a Golden Blade
The Shadow Whip
* Heaven & Hell
The Bells Of Death
The Deadly Breaking Sword
* The Killer Snakes
Shaolin Intruders
The Magic Blade
Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan
Human Lanterns
* Bat Without Wings
* Kiss of Death
House of Traps
* Corpse Mania
* Thunderbolt Fist
Seeding of a Ghost
* The Lizard
* The Magnificent Trio
* Lost Souls
* King Eagle
* The Shadow Boxer
Disciples of Shaolin

Well Go (13/20)

Brother's Five
Two Champions of Shaolin
* Journey Of The Doomed
The Heroic Ones
* Battle Wizard
* The Duel of the Century
Brave Archer and His Mate
Holy Flame of The Martial World
The Delightful Forest
* Heroes Shed No Tears
All Men Are Brothers
Jade Tiger
Web of Death
Duel of Fists
* Swordsman & Enchantress
* Legend of the Bat
Death Duel
The Shadow Boxing
* The Trail of the Broken Blade

Tokyo Shock (10/13)

Heroes Two
* The Master
Challenge of The Masters
Deadly Duo
Martial Club
The Brave Archer
Ten Tigers Of Kwangtung
Black Magic 2
The Flag of Iron
Five Element Ninjas
The Kid WIth The Golden Arm
* Iron Bodyguard
* Lion vs Lion

Funimation (12/15)

The 14 Amazons
* Shaolin Hand Lock
* Hong Kong Godfather
Opium and the Kung-Fu Master
Life Gamble
Invincible Shaolin
Shaolin Prince
The Duel
Shaolin Rescuers
Soul of the Sword
Bastard Swordsman
Return of Bastard Swordsman
The Sword of Swords
* The Supreme Swordsman
The Lady Hermit

Last edited by rocket1312; 06-08-24 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-08-24, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 698 Likes on 516 Posts

Nice detective work!

I cringed a bit at the realization that I have virtually everything in that DVD list except for about six of them I missed back in the day, and the eventual OOP prices were ridiculous (and still are). I know I even upgraded some of them when Wellgo and Image did some four packs in space-saving packages.

I just noticed the 88 announcements elsewhere tonight and was really surprised to see TO CATCH A MASTERMIND. I have the Ziieagle box (boy, that thing wasnít cheap, but it was so cool) and Iíve long lamented the sheer number of movies on it Ė including many martial arts films Ė that never got a physical media release anywhere, even from IVL in Hong Kong during their impressive run in the early 00s (which would put the actual number of films they released overall much closer to the original 1000, an impressive feat no matter how you slice it). Itís about damned time someone from one of these boutiques actually considered whatís been hiding in that box for years now! As I mentioned, though, there are around 200 Ziieagle-exclusive titles in the box. In fairness, Iím not sure what portion of that is martial arts films (or other action pictures), but I remember it being substantial the last time I skimmed through it, so thereís a good chance we may die of old age before many of those see the light of day, not to mention some of those asterisked titles on your DVD list. I guess Iíll just have to cross my fingers reeeally hard . . .

Last edited by Brian T; 06-08-24 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-27-24, 06:31 PM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Usually thereís leaks by now the day before their drops 👀Önothing yet??
Old 06-27-24, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Captsmee.00
Usually thereís leaks by now the day before their drops 👀Önothing yet??
The leaks mostly come from Unobstructed View posting preorder links early, so itís a very easy leak to plug. (And kind of puzzling that theyíve been going on for so long!)
Old 06-28-24, 09:20 AM

Received 4,808 Likes on 3,253 Posts