Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 06-30-21, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts
Re: The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Not a fan of movie? Don't get something that'll sit on the shelf. I thought it was always about the movie? Otherwise you're buying marketing.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomOpus:
John Pannozzi (06-30-21), Josh Z (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Not a fan of movie? Don't get something that'll sit on the shelf. I thought it was always about the movie? Otherwise you're buying marketing.
Actually, it wouldn't just sit there, -I'd probably watch it soon after I got it.

I've bought many sets where the supplemental material, -the "Making Of"s -are far more interesting than the film, or they enhance the film and the experience and bring it all up a notch and make me appreciate the film differently. "Last House On the Left" is not many people's idea of a good time, -my first time watching it in a theater was a badly edited version, but watching it fully restored with all the Arrow bells and whistles, -that was a great evening, and I'm glad to have it in my collection. "Waterworld" on the other hand, -I appreciate the work in the set and that was interesting, but I was left a bit luke-warm by the longer cut.

I have my problems with "Dune", though I've only seen it on VHS, but I've read the book and I appreciate what Lynch was trying to accomplish. I just found it hard to warm up to, if that's even possible. And, -just citing a personal thing, -I can barely get through the scenes with the boils and all.
Still, if it's this massive set, with the documentary, and the other supplements, and the books, -I'm good with that. I'm real curious to watch the film after all these years in what's currently the best possible format. However, they're making it tough and I may have to re-think it.
The following 2 users liked this post by DWilson:
John Pannozzi (06-30-21), Kurt D (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,325 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The feature length documentary on the making of Dune has been cancelled for its disc release due to production issues.
It's still slated for the Koch release, which comes out the same day. (Koch's lead times aren't as long as Arrow, so the doc not quite being ready yet is not an issue for them.)

I can absolutely understand the disappointment many people are feeling, and it especially has to sting since Ballyhoo is one of the very best producers of these sorts of extras.
Old 06-30-21, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,975 Likes on 2,030 Posts

This is bullshit.

I'm seriously thinking about canceling my preorder in protest, though I'd really like to have those two books it comes with.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'm a fan of the movie, but I recognize that it's not that good. It's not something I can watch regularly and truly enjoy, like most Star Trek/Star Wars movies for example. Dune is something I would watch every now and then just to visit that world and take a look around again. The extended cut made it much more palatable because of the extra footage and for something like a special edition physical release, a feature length documentary would make it an easy buy. Missing both of those means that the existing Blu-ray of just the movie will suffice, though I need to look for another copy of the extended DVD since mine has apparently rotted.

It's not always just about the movie. Sometimes there's so much more to the movie than the movie that's part of the experience of the movie.

Old 06-30-21, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I fucking love Lynch's Dune. The art design is absolutely bonkers, and the whole movie is weird and creepy, and that universe feels as real and alien as Star Wars.

I also think it's a movie like Blade Runner or Carpenter's The Thing that was so ahead of its time that it was underappreciated by both critics and audiences, who didn't really get what they were seeing.
Old 06-30-21, 09:57 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It's still slated for the Koch release, which comes out the same day. (Koch's lead times aren't as long as Arrow, so the doc not quite being ready yet is not an issue for them.)

I can absolutely understand the disappointment many people are feeling, and it especially has to sting since Ballyhoo is one of the very best producers of these sorts of extras.
what’s the Koch release, how do I get snd is it confirmed to have doc?
Old 06-30-21, 10:45 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Speaking of Ballyhoo, they STILL haven't finished their Empire Pictures doc after several years, haven't they?
Old 07-01-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
what’s the Koch release, how do I get snd is it confirmed to have doc?
The movie will be released on UHD in Germany by Koch Media around the same time as Arrow's edition. They'll have three copies: a SteelBook, a Mediabook, and an "Ultimate Edition" box set. Unfortunately, the UE is exclusive to the Koch Films web site, which will not ship to the United States.

https://shop.kochfilms.de/de/dune-der-wuestenplanet

I expect that the other two should be carried by Amazon.de, but I don't see them listed there yet.
Old 07-01-21, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure it'll get pulled from the Koch release, too.

I'll still get for the new extras (like the commentaries) and the 4K disc. But, yeah major letdown losing the biggest extra.
Old 07-01-21, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
You're probably right, but at the moment Koch is saying that they still plan to include the doc. It's possible that Arrow requires more lead-time for their production pipeline than Koch does. If so, Ballyhoo might still be able to meet Koch's deadline even if they missed Arrow's. That's the hope, anyway.

What I'd like to know is why Arrow has such a line-in-the-sand for their deadline and can't push the disc release back a few weeks. If anything, that would move it closer to the theatrical release of the remake, which would help them piggyback off Warner Bros' marketing. Perhaps their licensing agreement will lapse if they don't put the disc out before September?
Old 07-01-21, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
To add a little more to what Josh said above, Koch sez:

Daniel plans to finish this week, for us it is still fully within the framework of the deadline. Unfortunately, this seems too late for Arrow, who have significantly longer lead times due to US sales, delivery etc. We just hope that nothing comes up again, but we don't have to change anything at the moment.

Old 07-02-21, 07:18 PM

Is there any chance that down the road, those that bought and show proof, they might issue a separate disc with just the documentary?
Old 07-02-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If it's a feature length documentary, they could probably release it as a standalone DVD/blu-ray for purchase, like all of those horror franchise documentaries.

I doubt Ballyhoo would have the ability to send copies out to people who bought the Arrow Dune, either financially or logistically, and I doubt Arrow, who would be better suited to do so, would want to pay to send out copies to people who bought their Dune release. They already have your cash in their pockets.
Adam Tyner (07-02-21)
Old 07-02-21, 09:15 PM

Why? It should just be like a replacement disc? Other production cos do it. Why not just send out as a delayed extra disc that wasn’t ready when you original prepurchased. Show digital receipt or copied as jpeg, send name and address get a whole new corrected extras disc with the missing doc. Even verify you prepurchased before this announcement if they want to save money, but make sure they correct going forward. A lot do it…
Old 07-02-21, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

If Arrow were planning on a program like that, they would’ve said as much in their announcement. A stand-alone disc down the road is probably the best you can hope for, at least as far as a physical release from Arrow goes. I assume they spent some amount of money to help produce the doc and will want to recoup that somehow, but maybe it’ll just be something on their streaming channel and VOD.
Dan (07-03-21)
Old 07-02-21, 09:48 PM

Well, that blows chunks.
Old 07-07-21, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
but will there be a US release? im not region free.

And if it is a US release im hoping Arrow releases the rest of the trilogy.
I’m hoping for a US/Canada release. We’ll find out soon enough.
Old 07-07-21, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 947 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by oldboy
looks like another winner. Presentation alone makes up for my somewhat not like as much as other smith movies, but a/v sounds amazing and 3 cuts. Going to check extended myself. Should get early week...
mallrats review
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/b08bw...b_b_prod_image
I finally picked this up finally. I haven't watched it yet, but read through the included booklet and found this:

The original 35mm camera negative was scanned in 4k resolution at NBC Universal's Studio Post facility. A 35mm interpositive element was also scanned in at 4k for the content unique to the Director's Cut version. The film was restored and graded at R3Store Studios in London. This restoration has been approved by Director Kevin Smith and Director of Photography David Klein.
So, they restored it in 4k but the best we got was an HD release? That's kinda weak.
Old 07-07-21, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So, they restored it in 4k but the best we got was an HD release? That's kinda weak.
4K scan / HD release is annoyingly common anymore.
Michael Corvin (07-10-21)
Old 07-08-21, 02:52 PM

Received 4,826 Likes on 3,267 Posts

Probably referring to the Arrow / Shaw announcement. I had read a comment about a 26 film set… not sure if that’s true. But from the sound of this tweet it seems like maybe…

Old 07-08-21, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,099 Likes on 767 Posts

I cannot wait for this announcement. I hope they knock it out of the park. If it is 26 films, hopefully they are good ones and not a few classics padded with a bunch of filler. Also, I swear I read allusions somewhere (probably the other forum) to new scans for some (all?) of these films. I'm not counting on it, but it would be AMAZING. The old Celestial masters are better than nothing, but are far from ideal.
Old 07-08-21, 04:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,253 Likes on 890 Posts

Day 1!!
Old 07-09-21, 07:18 AM

Received 4,826 Likes on 3,267 Posts

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY COLLECTION CONTENTS

High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of King Boxer, The Boxer from Shantung, Five Shaolin Masters, Shaolin Temple, Mighty Peking Man, Challenge of the Masters, Executioners from Shaolin, Chinatown Kid, The Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Heroes of the East and Dirty Ho

Brand new 2K restorations by Arrow Films from the original camera negatives of King Boxer, The Boxer from Shantung, Challenge of the Masters, The Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers and Dirty Ho

Brand new 2K master of the longer international cut of Chinatown Kid from original film elements

Original uncompressed Mandarin, Cantonese (where applicable) and English mono audio

Newly translated English subtitles for each film

Hours of bonus features including brand new commentaries and critic appreciations on selected films, new and archive interviews with cast and crew, alternate credit sequences, trailer and image galleries for each film and more to be announced!

60 page book featuring new writing by David Desser, Simon Abrams and Terrence J. Brady, with cast and crew info for each film plus trivia and soundtrack info

New artwork for each film by artists including Matthew Griffin, Chris Malbon, Jacob Phillips, Ilan Sheady, Tony Stella, Darren Wheeling and Jolyon Yates

£125
PhantomStranger (07-10-21)
Old 07-09-21, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

Still no word whether it’s going to be a Region A release too? Please let it be.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.