Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 02-19-17, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Official Arrow Blu-ray Thread

Holy shit, they're doing Caltiki, the Immortal Monster? I can finally end my futile search for the NoShame release? Now if only they'd find a way to license Tim Lucas' impossible-to-find Kill Baby Kill Dark Skies Commentary. I asked someone who knows about such things recently and was told that it's not even in the dark corners of torrentland.
Old 03-03-17, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Anybody pickup Outlaw VIP? I got it cheap from Family Video, but so far the first 2 films have put me to sleep.
I just got this used and happened to pop in Black Dagger first--I didn't realize it was actually the 5th of the series. I totally loved it--reminds me of the Zatoichi series, just updated to modern times. The melancholy, jazz-y score, the wandering loner anti-hero with a strong moral code, the romance, the brutal knife-fight action--right up my alley. I see how this series influenced a bunch of Shaw Brothers films like Vengeance, and subsequently John Woo's stuff with Chow Yun-Fat.
Old 03-06-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,743 Likes on 2,686 Posts

Arrow posted on Facebook this morning that the House I-IV box set that comes out next month is already sold out in pre-orders on the Arrow UK site. It's a Region B UK Exclusive.

They said you can still pre-order it from Amazon UK, but stock is running out.

As previously posted, if you're not region free, the U.S. is only getting a I-II box set.
Old 03-07-17, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

I didn't realize it was limited, just ordered it from Amazon UK, 32.24 shipped which should be about $40 so $10 a film isn't too bad, especially considering the House Two Stories set on Amazon is currently $42.99.
Old 03-07-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Has it been confirmed yet if parts 1 and 2 from the UK set will be region free or locked?
Old 03-07-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dino88
Has it been confirmed yet if parts 1 and 2 from the UK set will be region free or locked?
I read that 1 and 2 in the UK set are region free, yet 3 and 4 are Region B only.

Some people were talking about it on the Arrow Facebook page.
Old 03-07-17, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk God

I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the House set.

Came out to roughly $35 and change before shipping.

I also got the new Fright Night BD that has the new 2 hour documentary.

Both are being released March 27th from Amazon UK.

I ended up spending like $56 and change after shipping for both.
Old 03-08-17, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I read that 1 and 2 in the UK set are region free, yet 3 and 4 are Region B only.

Some people were talking about it on the Arrow Facebook page.
Yeah, that's what I was hoping for. I may pull the trigger on the UK set or at least lock it now and decide later. I wish they would release them separately though. I could live with just the first one.
Old 03-17-17, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

Old 03-17-17, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I like the cover art for Bird, but I got off my Argento kick fifteen years ago.
Old 03-17-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All over Bird.
Old 03-19-17, 11:29 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 959 Likes on 801 Posts

can't wait for this Tuesday. Never saw it, but think i will love it!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cinema...170340/#Review
Old 03-20-17, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 654 Likes on 482 Posts

Arrow's new CRYSTAL PLUMAGE disc appears to correct Vittorio Storaro's bizarre aspect ratio business on their earlier release, and several of the supplements are new:

- Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the camera negative in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio, produced by Arrow Video exclusively for this release
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
- Original mono Italian and English soundtracks (lossless on the Blu-ray Disc)
English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- New audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films
- The Power of Perception, a new visual essay on the cinema of Dario Argento by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, author of Devil s Advocates: Suspiria and Rape-Revenge Films: A Critical Study
- New analysis of the film by critic Kat Ellinger
- New interview with writer/director Dario Argento
- New interview with actor Gildo Di Marco (Garullo the pimp)
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Candice Tripp
- Limited edition 60-page booklet illustrated by Matthew Griffin, featuring an appreciation of the film by Michael Mackenzie, and new writing by Howard Hughes and Jack Seabrook
Old 03-21-17, 08:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, I was quite surprised and disappointed to have my 1st defective Arrow Blu-Ray recently. The title in question was "Cemetery Without Crosses", and it was totally defective for the last 20 or so minutes of the film, kept freezing and skipping every few seconds. Luckily I was able to finish the film by putting in the DVD copy, and this might also be the 1st time I actually used the DVD copy of an Arrow BD. I returned it to Amazon for a refund and decided not to reorder another copy since the film was not really my cup of tea anyway.

This is the 1st I've ever heard or seen of a defective Arrow BD. Are they more common than I think?
Old 04-05-17, 08:56 PM

Not the the greatest of scores, but sounds pretty good to me...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/House-...170218/#Review
Old 04-06-17, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

I got my UK House Collection yesterday and even though 3 and 4 are marked as Region B, I was able to play both in my PS3. I didn't even realize there was gonna be a book with it, it's really nice. On a side note, I am happy to call this my 1000th Blu-ray! Glad the milestone got to be on a release I was really looking forward to.
Old 04-06-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Not the the greatest of scores, but sounds pretty good to me...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/House-...170218/#Review
Looks like the framing issues that Arrow had with Hellraiser 3, are apparent in their transfer of House as well
Old 04-06-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

That's disappointing to hear. It wasn't much of an issue for me with Hellraiser III, but something is going on with Arrow's quality control since this is the 3rd example​ of this happening in a short time (Creepshow 2 being the 2nd incident).
Old 04-07-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
That's disappointing to hear. It wasn't much of an issue for me with Hellraiser III, but something is going on with Arrow's quality control since this is the 3rd example​ of this happening in a short time (Creepshow 2 being the 2nd incident).
I can't remember if even more titles that Arrow has released recently fall under this but it seems like all the films they acquired from Lakeshore have this issue.
Old 04-11-17, 08:25 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/71962/house-two-stories/

sounds great. mine should be here tomorrow. look forward to revisiting and those extras just sound outstanding. love original cast stuff!
Old 04-12-17, 08:43 PM

Love this US House set. that fucking book rocks. i only flipped a bit, but what i saw and read looked really good. can't wait to revisit I and check out Ding Dong, You're Dead!...
Old 04-12-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even with the framing issues, I caved in this past Sunday and picked up the House set
Old 04-12-17, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk God

My House UK set just arrived from Amazon UK a few days ago.

Great looking set and it has an amazing amount of content. I guess licensing issues were the reason why III and IV weren't included in the U.S. release. Those 2 also have a vast amount of content.
Old 04-13-17, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received my copy of the "Donnie Darko" Limited Edition...I can't wait till this evening. I'm all in for "The Bird with the Crystal Plumage." Sold my Blue Underground edition years ago when I liquidated my original collection. I once again own pretty much everything I foolishly sold off. These limited editions are being beautifully executed by the folks at Arrow. I wish Warner Bros. would produce a few more of these for a select number of titles. They previously did a handful of these shelf-friendly box sets that I cherish as well--far better than those over-blown sets with worthless ephemera. I'm not so upset that some studios have moved to licensing. These boutique distributors value these films far more than the studios that own them.

Originally Posted by DJariya
My House UK set just arrived from Amazon UK a few days ago. Great looking set and it has an amazing amount of content. I guess licensing issues were the reason why III and IV weren't included in the U.S. release. Those 2 also have a vast amount of content.
I'm anxiously awaiting my set to arrive from Diabolik. I checked the site this morning and they are now sold out as well.
Old 04-13-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

So I got a chance to go through a little of the House UK set.

Parts 1 and 2 are region free. The packaging indicates that on the inside.

However, it also looks like 3 and 4 are region free, despite the packaging saying otherwise. I played part 3 last night on my region free BD player without having to press the Region B playback button on my remote, which I would have to do normally. Haven't checked 4 yet, but I'm guessing it's the same thing.

There is a really cool book in the packaging with lots of great notes about each movie. Sean Cunningham said in the House 3 section that he pre-sold it internationally as "House 3" and it was branded internationally as such even though it was released as "The Horror Show" in the U.S. United Artists thought for marketing purposes it would play better with a different name as opposed to keeping it branded as the 3rd House movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.