Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Arrow Films 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 06-07-15, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official Arrow Blu-ray Thread

since the german release of Re-Animator with the multiple cuts is now OOP, the best version available is the newly released Australian 2 disc edition which has the same multiple cuts that the OOP german LE offered, from the same restored master (different encodes though).
Old 06-07-15, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by nitin77
since the german release of Re-Animator with the multiple cuts is now OOP, the best version available is the newly released Australian 2 disc edition which has the same multiple cuts that the OOP german LE offered, from the same restored master (different encodes though).
Is the AU better than the UK? I just checked, and it looks like it has the same extras, and they both have the two cuts. And isn't the only thing better about the German one is that it has the TV version?
Old 06-07-15, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joltman
Is the AU better than the UK? I just checked, and it looks like it has the same extras, and they both have the two cuts. And isn't the only thing better about the German one is that it has the TV version?
the UK has noticeable compression problems compared to the german disc. The AU disc apparently doesnt. It also has the TV version on the 2nd disc.
Old 06-08-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 906 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Any good nudity? Funny/bad dialogue? Reading a little bit about it, everyone seems to think highly of the gore.
Check out some of the 1080P screenshots of Society for the gore and creature effects.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/06/08/society-blu-ray-review/

Society has some fantastic physical make-up and practical effects. I don't think CGI would have made it look any better.
Old 06-18-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,294 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I will also mention that Society's transfer looks incredible. Arrow Video has outdone themselves with this restoration.
Best blind buy I think I have ever done. Really enjoyed this one. Yeah, it was a slow burn but it maintained my interest the entire time. The payoff was just fucking nuts. How have I not seen this movie before? I am surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often just because of the total "out there" section in the last 20 or so minutes. I just sat there with my mouth agape.

Awesome special effects as well. One more reason to say fuck CG for horror movies.

Looking forward to watching it again with the commentary.

I have to agree that the transfer looks incredible. If it were not for the awesome 80's hair and clothes, you would almost think it had been filmed yesterday.
Old 06-20-15, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So ecstatic with the new Blu-ray of Society. It's one of my top five favorite horror films of all time, and it's amazing to see it get such an extensive release.

Arrow is right up there with Synapse when it comes to the best in the Blu-ray business. I can't wait for their upcoming Blood Rage and The Mutilator releases.
Old 06-21-15, 01:34 AM

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Awesome special effects as well. One more reason to say fuck CG for every movie.
Fixy.
Old 06-23-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J. Farley
Arrow is right up there with Synapse when it comes to the best in the Blu-ray business. I can't wait for their upcoming Blood Rage and The Mutilator releases.
Owning Arrow's Argento releases and comparing them with what Blue Underground and Synapse has put out, they're not even on the same level. Arrow still needs to focus more on quality control. With that being said, they're getting better and they're leagues ahead of Shout Factory.

May's updates on Phenomena, Suspiria, and even Popcorn on the Synapse Facebook page are insane. I can't believe the work May and his team are pulling off for these titles.
Old 06-23-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

I watched The Happiness of the Katakuris tonight. Wow what a crazy film. I was going to watch Contamination tonight but I might delve into some of the extras instead. Arrow is really doing a fantastic job with these releases. The high quality of the presentations and the bonus features have been pretty overwhelming. Comparisons to Synapse or Criterion are well deserved at this point.
Old 06-24-15, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Owning Arrow's Argento releases and comparing them with what Blue Underground and Synapse has put out, they're not even on the same level. Arrow still needs to focus more on quality control. With that being said, they're getting better and they're leagues ahead of Shout Factory.

May's updates on Phenomena, Suspiria, and even Popcorn on the Synapse Facebook page are insane. I can't believe the work May and his team are pulling off for these titles.
The Argentos were put out before they started taking quality really seriously. Pretty much any of their releases from late 2012 onwards is very good-excellent.
Old 06-24-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 971 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by nitin77
The Argentos were put out before they started taking quality really seriously. Pretty much any of their releases from late 2012 onwards is very good-excellent.
Seems like a "version 2.0" of those early Argento releases would not only sell well, but erase a blemish from Arrow's otherwise impeccable record. It probably would take very little extra time and money to re-encode those Argentos properly and give us fans a stellar release of those titles, especially PHENOMENA.
Old 06-24-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Best blind buy I think I have ever done. Really enjoyed this one. Yeah, it was a slow burn but it maintained my interest the entire time. The payoff was just fucking nuts. How have I not seen this movie before? I am surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often just because of the total "out there" section in the last 20 or so minutes. I just sat there with my mouth agape.

Awesome special effects as well. One more reason to say fuck CG for horror movies.
They did a fantastic job with Society. I feel sorry for anyone that didn't get the limited edition set.

It will be interesting to see how Code Red's version of Pit Stop turns out compared against Arrow's release. The answer print used by Arrow for the film is in rough condition at times. Having never seen the movie before, it was interesting to see the death-defying Figure 8 racing.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/06/25/pit-...lu-ray-review/

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 06-25-15 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-25-15, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Seems like a "version 2.0" of those early Argento releases would not only sell well, but erase a blemish from Arrow's otherwise impeccable record. It probably would take very little extra time and money to re-encode those Argentos properly and give us fans a stellar release of those titles, especially PHENOMENA.
They have hinted at an upcoming Argento, but it may be Opera rather than an upgrade of an existing disc (which they did with Tenebrae). If they were to do an upgrade of an existing disc, there is the new restoration of Deep Red that is now available...
Old 06-25-15, 01:30 PM

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They did a fantastic job with Society. I feel sorry for anyone that didn't get the limited edition set.
+1. Worth the price of admission just to see Patrice Jennings' yummy buns.
Old 06-25-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
+1. Worth the price of admission just to see Patrice Jennings' yummy buns.

Did they ever offer a replacement for Shivers?
Old 06-25-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Did they ever offer a replacement for Shivers?
They're working on it. They said there should be some good news fairly soon.
Old 06-26-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone see Olive Films' release of Coffy? They occasionally strike their own transfers but it's much more likely it's the same MGM master that Arrow licensed for their Region B-locked edition.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/06/26/coff...lu-ray-review/

Arrow provides exclusive special features like new interviews and a commentary.
Old 06-26-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Bought Coffy to leverage out the shipping on a previous smaller order. Haven't watched it yet though but yeah, I would expect it to look nearly identical to the Kino.
After removal of the VAT, I'm pretty sure I paid as much for the Arrow shipped here as I would have paid for the Kino on sale. So it was a case of six of one...
Old 06-26-15, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Neil M.
They're working on it. They said there should be some good news fairly soon.
Do you mean that they're going to re-insert the missing footage of SHIVERS, or that they're going to correct the revisionist teal-leaning color grading? Hopefully both?
Old 06-26-15, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you mean that they're going to re-insert the missing footage of SHIVERS, or that they're going to correct the revisionist teal-leaning color grading? Hopefully both?
Pretty sure it's the missing footage only.
Old 06-28-15, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the restoration was done by TIFF with Cronenberg's input (and not Arrow), likely that all future transfers will have to use the same master.
Old 06-29-15, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 991 Posts

So cool surprise today in the mail - I got the Stray Cat Rock set for review. I took a peak at Delinquent Girl Boss and it looks and sounds great. For a mono soundtrack - I was pretty floored. I'll be chillin' out over the 4th watching them. Oh, and they're region free - at least Region A/B, because the PS4 plays without problems.
Old 06-29-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 176 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Bought Coffy to leverage out the shipping on a previous smaller order. Haven't watched it yet though but yeah, I would expect it to look nearly identical to the Kino.
After removal of the VAT, I'm pretty sure I paid as much for the Arrow shipped here as I would have paid for the Kino on sale. So it was a case of six of one...
This probably should be noted here but if you have a Panasonic bluray player most of the Region B Locked blurays can be played with a simple button combination trick.

This is useful to note when certain other companies (cough..Twilight Time) have rights to release certain films in the US at a higher cost than it would cost to import the Arrow version.
Old 06-29-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think we're all going to have to deal with the fact that these revisionist teal color grading won't go away . What was the go-to release previously, the UK R2 DVD? Hopefully they'll offer up new stock if they do a replaced version, ordering a UK import and then Replacing that would be a pain.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-30-15 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-01-15, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I think we're all going to have to deal with the fact that these revisionist teal color grading won't go away . What was the go-to release previously, the UK R2 DVD? Hopefully they'll offer up new stock if they do a replaced version, ordering a UK import and then Replacing that would be a pain.
No, I simply can not accept that. We don't smear the Mona Lisa with teal just because some jackass revisionist says it would look better, do we?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.