Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Gone With the Wind DVD/Blu-ray Price Jump

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-14-20, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I understand HBO Max had been streaming the 1939 classic Gone With the Wind but pulled it a few days ago apparently due to scenes involving slavery in the South. This seems to have sparked a sudden demand for the DVDs and Blu-ray on-line with prices fetching $40-$60 or more in a few cases.

I also noticed Blazing Saddles has also shot-up in price.

Are we seeing a sudden demand for older movies which, due to their subject matter, are being pulled from streaming services with the possibility of them being edited, re-issued with a disclaimer at the beginning or simply disappearing altogether?

Last edited by orangerunner; 06-15-20 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-14-20, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
re: Gone With the Wind DVD/Blu-ray Price Jump

Well Gone with the Wind will return to HBO Max in the future. Its still available digitally and there has been no signs that its being discontinued on physical media. Potential censoring of some classic movies does bother me. I haven't watched Blazing Saddles in years so maybe I'll look for it next time I'm in my local used dvd store.
Update: I just checked Vudu and Blazing Saddles is still available online as well.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 06-14-20 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
re: Gone With the Wind DVD/Blu-ray Price Jump

People getting so bent out of shape because of lowly HBO Max? Maybe I should sell my DVD of GWTW. It's not a movie I revisit very much.
Old 06-14-20, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 136 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: Gone With the Wind DVD/Blu-ray Price Jump

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
Yes, I am aware I typed the word "Blu-ray" incorrectly!
Taken care of! If anything like this happens, just PM me or use the ďreport this post to a moderatorĒ feature, and Iíll make any updates.
Old 06-15-20, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Adam!
Old 06-15-20, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Well Gone with the Wind will return to HBO Max in the future. Its still available digitally and there has been no signs that its being discontinued on physical media. Potential censoring of some classic movies does bother me.
HBO Max plans to add a disclaimer about racial stereotypes before the movie plays, not censor the actual content of the film.
Old 06-15-20, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

The 4-disc DVD set before the HBOMax announcement going on eBay for about $10. Since the announcement? $30-60. I need to find out which storage box I stashed that in.

Edit: Rats, I sold it already in 2013 for $10.
Old 06-15-20, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

A couple episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia have already been pulled and I doubt they come back. A couple characters appear in blackface. Don't watch the show, so I don't know more. Hold on to the DVDs if you have them.
Old 06-15-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
A couple episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia have already been pulled and I doubt they come back. A couple characters appear in blackface. Don't watch the show, so I don't know more. Hold on to the DVDs if you have them.
Jesus. This is getting a little silly. So all of history is going to be...ahem...whitewashed?
The following users liked this post:
BuckNaked2k (06-18-20)
Old 06-15-20, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Same thing with the Simpsons DVD that includes Michael Jackson episode. After it was pulled from every streaming service and reruns on on cable and syndication, the DVD started selling for crazy prices.
Old 06-16-20, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Once again, if you own it digitally, you still have it. Itís not being taken from your library.

comparing owning a dvd/BD to that of a rental is silly
Old 06-17-20, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Once again, if you own it digitally, you still have it. Itís not being taken from your library.

comparing owning a dvd/BD to that of a rental is silly
Until it is deleted or removed from your digital library. Unless you made a back-up copy housed on your personal hard drive and you aren't just streaming it from some site that "holds it for you" or "gives you access to it." it could disappear at any time.
Old 06-17-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Until it is deleted or removed from your digital library. Unless you made a back-up copy housed on your personal hard drive and you aren't just streaming it from some site that "holds it for you" or "gives you access to it." it could disappear at any time.
And someone could steal your copy from your house. Fire. Flood.

Itís not been removed from my iTunes or VUDU or Movies Anywhere digital library. But I guess we can keep being paranoid?
Old 06-17-20, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

I haven't heard anything about GWTW DVDs/BRs being pulled due to content issues.

I suspect that what you're seeing is people panic buying it, causing it go out of stock in both stores and distributors, which is, in turn, driving up the prices on the secondary market. I've been watching stuff go in and out of stock at Amazon; I think it probably has something to do with the pandemic slowing down the supply chain.
Old 06-17-20, 08:37 PM

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I suspect that what you're seeing is people panic buying it, causing it go out of stock in both stores and distributors, which is, in turn, driving up the prices on the secondary market. I've been watching stuff go in and out of stock at Amazon; I think it probably has something to do with the pandemic slowing down the supply chain.
I think it's more likely that normal people (not collectors) heard the news reports, starting thinking about the movie, and decided they wanted to watch it. It's an old catalog movie and there probably isn't a lot of product in stock. So it's easy to sell out.

My brother's family came over last weekend for pizza and a movie. Normally they pick a new release. Instead they wanted to watch GWTW. They'd been talking about it during the week and none of them had seen it before.
Old 06-17-20, 09:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

I have this edition (see below). Worth anything?

Old 06-17-20, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
I have this edition (see below). Worth anything?
Yes, that oneís going for about $25-35 on eBay. If you have the Scarlett Edition, thatís going for about $60. And the big box set is going for about $120+.
Old 06-17-20, 10:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

Amazon has some stupid outrageous prices..

Old 06-18-20, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I think it's more likely that normal people (not collectors) heard the news reports, starting thinking about the movie, and decided they wanted to watch it.
If that's all it was, there are any number of streaming services they could rent or buy it from. Being removed from HBO Max (which is only a couple weeks old and hardly anyone has) barely limits the film's availability at all. I haven't done an exhaustive search, but I bet you could probably even watch Gone with the Wind for free on something like Kanopy, Hoopla, or some ad-supported service.

The spike in DVD and Blu-ray sales is clearly the result of panic buying from people paranoid that the evil government and/or corporations will take away their god-given right to watch racist movies whenever they want, and from speculators trying to profit on that panic. Given that it's an old catalog title that hasn't been in such high demand for years, retailers didn't have much stock on hand. Refilling that stock is slow and difficult due to COVID-related supply chain issues, making a perfect storm for a momentary surge in eBay and other aftermarket prices.
Old 06-18-20, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
The 4-disc DVD set before the HBOMax announcement going on eBay for about $10. Since the announcement? $30-60. I need to find out which storage box I stashed that in.

Edit: Rats, I sold it already in 2013 for $10.
I've had that one for a few years, never watched it. I should check this movie out at some point.
Old 06-18-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Put up my big red box set (70th) up and sold BIN within a day. Couldn't get $20 for it a couple months ago.
Old 06-18-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
And someone could steal your copy from your house. Fire. Flood.
...grand piano falls on your collection? Yes, natural disasters and accidents are all part of the risk of everyday life. Even if you should be so unlucky to lose your entire library, at least with a physical version available you know there are other copies of that title elsewhere in the world. In a digital-only world, the studios and/or copyright owners have the right to alter their content or they can remove it altogether.

If you're okay with that scenario, all the power to you.

The following 2 users liked this post by orangerunner:
Alan Smithee (06-23-20), milo bloom (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

...grand piano falls on your collection? Yes, natural disasters and accidents are all part of the risk of everyday life. Even if you should be so unlucky to lose your entire library, at least with a physical version available you know there are other copies of that title elsewhere in the world. In a digital-only world, the studios and/or copyright owners have the right to alter their content or they can remove it altogether.

If you're okay with that scenario, all the power to you.
It's a fucking movie, not life or death.
Old 06-18-20, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Most of the Blu-Ray copies I've seen of this film on Ebay (at the moment) have that awful Walmart Exclusive Slipcover on it.

Sure enough, when I stopped by a Walmart this afternoon, the entire Blu-Ray section that had films with these Exclusive Slipcovers were in stock, except for Gone With The Wind.

Price was $7.50 on the shelf.
Old 06-19-20, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I also noticed Blazing Saddles has also shot-up in price.
I'm suprised the SJW's haven't gone after any Mel Brooks movies yet? He has an ace in the hole as Richard Pryor was a co-writer on 'Blazing Saddles' so was he a racist too? All of this rewriting of history is so silly, as I blame Social Media for making this group of people louder than they really are.
The following users liked this post:
bunkaroo (06-19-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.