Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Gone With the Wind DVD/Blu-ray Price Jump

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Gone With the Wind DVD/Blu-ray Price Jump

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-20, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Re: Gone With the Wind DVD/Blu-ray Price Jump

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I'm suprised the SJW's haven't gone after any Mel Brooks movies yet?
This sort of thing is going to just spark arguments and go nowhere. Let's stay away from this and just talk about the movies, availability, and all that.
The following users liked this post:
asianxcore (06-19-20)
Old 06-19-20, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
It's a fucking movie, not life or death.
Wow that’s really surprising - I seem to remember you having a lot more passion for movies and formats back in the day. Isn’t that why we all found this site - because they’re more than just movies to us?

Blu-ray and UHD have been great formats for preserving films and I’ll always make sure I have physical copies of the movies I love because as has been proven in the past, studios can’t be trusted to not pull content from the digital realm.
Alan Smithee (06-23-20)
Old 06-19-20, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I'm suprised the SJW's haven't gone after any Mel Brooks movies yet? He has an ace in the hole as Richard Pryor was a co-writer on 'Blazing Saddles' so was he a racist too? All of this rewriting of history is so silly, as I blame Social Media for making this group of people louder than they really are.
Not to dwell on the topic as we're moving on but much of the race-related humor in Blazing Saddles was pointing-out the ignorance and stupidity of the white characters.
Why So Blu? (06-19-20)
Old 06-21-20, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Well, that's assuming you actually watch the movie and can pick up on the social commentary rather than many of the internet experts out there.
Old 06-22-20, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

There is no nuance allowed on any of these issues as seen over and over again by recent history. One recent movie I expect to get deep-sixxed is Tropic Thunder with its racial humor. I doubt we'll see that movie hitting UHD.
Old 06-22-20, 06:45 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There is no nuance allowed on any of these issues as seen over and over again by recent history. One recent movie I expect to get deep-sixxed is Tropic Thunder with its racial humor. I doubt we'll see that movie hitting UHD.
This shit is getting ridiculous now. Might as well just remove any snow/movie with anything showing anything towards anyone.
Old 06-23-20, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Why? Similar to Blazing Saddles, the blackface character of Downey Jr was done with the social commentary of how ridiculous it is. Downey was even nominated for an Oscar for it.
Old 06-24-20, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Tropic Thunder was probably not going to be getting a UHD release anyway.
Old 06-24-20, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Why? Similar to Blazing Saddles, the blackface character of Downey Jr was done with the social commentary of how ridiculous it is.
The same can be said for the episodes of 30 Rock that just got pulled from streaming services. Context is the first thing lost when people are angry.
Old 06-24-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Why? Similar to Blazing Saddles, the blackface character of Downey Jr was done with the social commentary of how ridiculous it is. Downey was even nominated for an Oscar for it.
Even comedic takes on blackface are getting hammered on social media like Twitter. Jimmy Kimmel's blackface sketches from 20 years ago are getting lambasted.
Old 06-24-20, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

HBO Max Restores ‘Gone With the Wind’ With Disclaimer Saying Film ‘Denies the Horrors of Slavery’
Old 06-25-20, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Does every movie have to acknowledge the "horrors of slavery" if set during that timeline if the story doesn't actually focus on the slaves?

I have always viewed GWTW as a view from a white southern person's perspective. Not as real history. It is fiction. It has never purported to be anything else.

I have seen the movie several times since I was a kid. Granted I have not watched it in several years but from my memory, slavery is basically in the background as part of the story due to its timeline during the Civil War. There is nothing in the movie that I remember that needs to acknowledge the "horrors of slavery." The character of Mamie treats Scarlett like the spoiled brat bitch she is. The few scenes of the blacks slaves are mostly seen as servants in the house.

It is a fucking movie from the 30's. Perspective people. It is a southern white person's fairy tale from the early 1900's written within one generation of the Civil War. Do people really believe the movie has that much power to persuade people that it was exactly how it was in the pre & post Civil War South? I know people are stupid but this is taking it to an all new level on both sides.

Are we going to just throw away all movies, books, and music from all of history if it doesn't acknowledge certain aspects of history the way it is seen today? That's lot of stuff that is about to be censored or tossed in the trash to make a few people feel better. Why not use it as a teaching point this is the way it was seen or heard back then...it is not the way things are viewed now?

I just watched American History X the other night and there is plenty in it to offend almost anyone. It was made over 20 years ago. Does it belong in the dumpster as well?
Old 06-25-20, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Why not use it as a teaching point this is the way it was seen or heard back then...it is not the way things are viewed now?
Is that not the whole point of the disclaimer?
Old 06-25-20, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Is that not the whole point of the disclaimer?
Not really. If the disclaimer is trying to say that the movie isn't showing the "horrors of slavery" on a movie where slavery isn't really even shown or hardly discussed, how does that teach anything about that particular movie? What percentage of GWTW, a four hour movie, deals with slavery as part of its story? It isn't like 12 Years A Slave or Django Unchained where the subject of slavery is a major plot point of the movie.

And yes, I know that it deals with The Civil War but not every movie set during the Civil War and dealing with the Civil War has to "acknowledge the horrors of slavery."

It's not like they made 12 Years A Slave in the 30's but instead glorified slavery and showed how much fun it could be. It just seems like your typical knee jerk reaction that doesn't make much sense in regards to the actual movie itself.

I guess eventually we will have general or specific disclaimers in front of every movie made (new and old) so it can be stated the reasons why it may be offensive to some or that you may not agree with how something is portrayed.

Whatever.
Old 06-25-20, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

If the choice is either a disclaimer or removing a film or tv show from streaming or distribution, I’ll choose a disclaimer every single time. Yes context is important, but in our knee jerk reaction society this is the future. I’m glad I’ve held onto physical media.
Old 06-25-20, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I wish Requiem For A Dream had a disclaimer before the film because I am still not sure after watching it a few times if drugs are bad for you or not.
Old 08-13-20, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

Blazing Saddles now has a trigger warning.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...addles-1307351
Old 08-14-20, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I wish Requiem For A Dream had a disclaimer before the film because I am still not sure after watching it a few times if drugs are bad for you or not.
Old 08-14-20, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Blazing Saddles now has a trigger warning.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...addles-1307351
I have no problem with the Gone with the Wind disclaimer, but this one is just ridiculous. "This movie is a comedy that makes jokes about racism being stupid." Gee, d'ya think? Thanks so much for explaining the completely obvious.
bunkaroo (08-15-20)
Old 08-14-20, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

A little more than three-minutes long, Stewart's intro puts the bigotry and racist language in context, the host saying, "as the storyline implies the issue of race is front and center in Blazing Saddles. And racist language and attitudes pervade the film. But those attitudes are espoused by characters who are portrayed here as explicitly small-minded, ignorant bigots. The real, and much more enlightened perspective, is provided by the main characters played by Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder."
Should be obvious if one bothers to watch the film.
bunkaroo (08-15-20)
Old 08-14-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I have no problem with the Gone with the Wind disclaimer, but this one is just ridiculous. "This movie is a comedy that makes jokes about racism being stupid." Gee, d'ya think? Thanks so much for explaining the completely obvious.
I haven't watched the movie in a long time but I think I remember all the Cowboys being racists in the movie were brain dead idiots.
Old 08-14-20, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't watched the movie in a long time but I think I remember all the Cowboys being racists in the movie were brain dead idiots.
Yup, exactly. Even a real brain-dead idiot can process that the movie is ridiculing them, not endorsing their views.

Can't wait for the content warning on Do the Right Thing. "BE ADVISED: This movie depicts racist behavior in order to make the point that racism is bad. That is literally the whole point of the movie. We are explaining it in advance just in case you are too dumb to see something right in front of your face."
Why So Blu? (08-14-20)
Old 08-14-20, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I remember it making fun of white farmers

I've wanted this movie in my collection for years now, but when I first went looking, maybe five years or so back, I was surprised how expensive the Bd options were. Haven't looked since, but there's no reason this should be more than $10 at this point.
Old 08-14-20, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Ass to ass!
Old 08-14-20, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

And they leave absolutely no mention of the influence the campfire scene leaves on the scarred phsyche of viewers.
That said, I have no problem with a note at the beginning but advise people to actually watch the damn movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.