Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground Releases Masterthread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground Releases Masterthread

Old 11-06-23, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 761 Likes on 636 Posts
Re: MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground Releases Masterthread

Most of the "fan" commentaries I've heard aren't worth hearing.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (11-08-23)
Old 11-07-23, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 899 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Most of the "fan" commentaries I've heard aren't worth hearing.
The only one I can say that is truly fantastic is the Showgirls one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
Brian T (11-08-23), Josh Z (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
For "Hardware Wars" they are putting out a bluray of a Star Wars Parody that's only 13 mins? I guess it lists some other movie parodies so that might be worth a purchase.
That should be an extra on another movie or posted on Youtube.

Old 11-07-23, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That should be an extra on another movie or posted on Youtube.
Hardware Wars has been available on YouTube for years.

It is not a good movie, or even a good parody, by any stretch. However, it was a notable part of the Star Wars phenomenon in the late 1970s and has carved out a place in cinema history. There's justification for giving it a dedicated home video release. That said, I'm not going to buy it.
BackStJoe (11-07-23)
Old 11-08-23, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts

Hardware Wars was originally issued on VHS from Warner and included a few other short films. This Blu-ray is supposed to include at least one of those, an Apocalypse Now parody called Porklips Now.
Old 11-24-23, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Preorders are up directly from Synapse and Diabolik. The price is...yeah, but this one's a longtime favorite, and I had enough credit card rewards saved up to get it for $0.11 shipped, so whatever. For better or worse, nothing on Vinegar Syndrome's slate caught my eye, and while there's stuff I'd get from Severin (The Psychic; Cemetery Man), I don't have the same emotional connection to those movies to swallow even higher price points.

SLIPCOVER AND COMBO PACK ARE EXCLUSIVE TO THIS VERSION

“I can’t recommend this movie enough. Invite some friends over, break out some drinks and food, and let THE CONVENT possess your party… with fun.” – Patrick Krause, Morbidly Beautiful

In 1960, a young woman named Christine enters St. Francis Boarding School for Girls and lays waste to the resident nuns. Four decades later, a group of college students head to the long-abandoned building late one night to tag it with their fraternity letters, little knowing that rumors of the place being haunted are terrifyingly true. Stir in a couple of disapproving cops and a band of unlikely Satanists, and the table is set for a feast of demonic infestation and bloodshed that only the grown-up Christine (Adrienne Barbeau, THE FOG, SWAMP THING) can possibly stop.

From its opening massacre, set to the strains of (appropriately enough) Lesley Gore, THE CONVENT is an in-your-face fright film with a full-blooded sense of humor. Director Mike Mendez (THE GRAVEDANCERS, BIG ASS SPIDER!) both embraces and skewers the traditions of supernatural/possession cinema, with wicked twists that upend expectations and deliver jolts and laughs in equal measure. Not for the devout or the easily offended, the film gives Barbeau one of her best roles as the motorcycle-riding, shotgun-wielding Christine, with bonus appearances by fellow genre icon Bill Moseley (THE DEVIL’S REJECTS) and rapper/actor Coolio. THE CONVENT rocked audiences at festivals including Sundance and Fantasia, but has long been unavailable on disc. Now you can possess its uncensored U.S. debut remastered in Dolby Vision 4K from the original uncut 35mm Internegative elements and worship the extensive special features!

HELL-RAISING SPECIAL FEATURES:
  • Limited Edition Combo (4K UHD + Blu-ray) Release of only 4000 units total.
  • Limited Edition Slipcover only on this combo release
  • 4K remaster of the uncut version supervised and approved by director, Mike Mendez
  • Mastered in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • 5.1 stereo surround mix from the original 16-track audio masters
  • Cast and crew audio commentary, featuring director Mike Mendez
  • “Lords of Hell” audio commentary featuring Saul and Dickie-Boy
  • Video tour of both THE CONVENT and KILLERS film locations
  • Vintage “Making of” featurette
  • Vintage original studio Electronic Press Kit (EPK)
  • “It’s Always Something with a Virgin” Liner notes booklet from Corey Danna
  • Deleted scene
  • Gore outtakes
  • Still gallery
  • Promotional trailers
  • Reversible cover art
UNRATED – 2000 – COLOR – 80 MINS – 1.78:1 – SFD0222

4K ULTRA HD AND BLU-RAY DISC™ SPECIFICATIONS

4K UHD FEATURE: 2160p Ultra High-Definition Widescreen (1.78:1) Presentation – English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Stereo Surround

BLU-RAY FEATURE: 1080p High-Definition Widescreen (1.78:1) Presentation – English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Stereo Surround

SUBTITLES: English SDH

REGION: ALL

ITEM NUMBER: SFD0222

UPC CODE: 654930324592
Old 11-25-23, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,454 Likes on 2,484 Posts

Wow. Massive Black Friday sale at MVD. Lots of pretty good titles for under $10. Including some Cannon titles.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Adam Tyner (11-25-23), PhantomStranger (11-25-23)
Old 01-18-24, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Preorders are up for Blue Underground's ridiculously lavish UHD set of Goodbye, Uncle Tom. Uh, I think I'm sitting this one out.
Brian T (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 537 Likes on 402 Posts

For some reason that post doesn’t show up on my phone, and when I cut/paste the url it I get a “page doesn’t exist” screen, but I’m assuming it has to do with Blue Underground’s GOODBYE UNCLE TOM combos? Wow - I never thought there’d be a demand for that in 4K let alone such a stacked set! I can only imagine they’ll be doling out the remainder of their Mondo collection now. I remember purchasing that DVD set, admittedly on sale — seven films (5 + 2 alternates) plus the doc — for a little more than the price of two of these on 4K! Time marches on. Gotta give them credit though; they picked the real jaw-dropper to start with!
Old 01-18-24, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Brian T
For some reason that post doesn’t show up on my phone, and when I cut/paste the url it I get a “page doesn’t exist” screen, but I’m assuming it has to do with Blue Underground’s GOODBYE UNCLE TOM combos?
Ha, yes. Apparently it's un-embeddable. I just updated the post with plain ol' text instead.
Brian T (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 537 Likes on 402 Posts

Good to know! And like you, I can sit that one out. Worth seeing once, but the DVD era was the time for it. For the curious, though, the cut US version can still be had pretty cheaply, new, from Amazon (still in print, I guess), while the uncut version — which is definitely worth seeing once — is insanely OOP-expensive, but can still be bought in the boxed set, used, for a decent price (+/- $75) and you get everything else.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-18-24 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-08-24, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,158 Likes on 890 Posts

I just read (it's an old update) that Trick or Treat is on Screambox via Amazon Prime. You can get a 7-day free trial then it's a $4.99 per month. The Trick or Treat stream is sourced from the upcoming 4K release sometime this year. This will be released on 4K disc at some point from Synapse.
Adam Tyner (02-09-24)
Old 02-13-24, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 278 Posts

Joysticks has been delayed until May 7th. I found out from lurking on the "other forum". Its been delayed due to an issue with one of the audio tracks. This quote is from the MVD Facebook page. I guess its better to have to deal with a delay instead of a replacement program.
·
I'm sorry to have to report this but there was an audio issue with the MVD Entertainment Group release of Joysticks Blu-ray and as such, the release will be delayed. I should have a new date (TBD) soon.

Fortunately this issue was caught before the release date so it should not affect consumers (you) in any way and there will be no need for a replacement program. Basically the release will be delayed.

As soon as I have a new release date, I will post it here, Just wanted to let you know.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 02-15-24 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-14-24, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,158 Likes on 890 Posts

Better to have caught the issue early on. A buddy got his screener copy of Joysticks a couple of weeks ago. Looks like the reviewers/quality control caught it in time.
Bluelitespecial (02-14-24)
Old 02-14-24, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 899 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Better to have caught the issue early on. A buddy got his screener copy of Joysticks a couple of weeks ago. Looks like the reviewers/quality control caught it in time.
The guys at Shout Factory just read your post and said astonishingly, "You can do this?!?!?"
Bluelitespecial (02-14-24)
Old 02-21-24, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 278 Posts

Apparently Amazon sent out defective copies of Joysticks and MVD is telling customers to return those copies. Here's the update from the MVD Facebook page.

Despite MVD informing Amazon weeks ago that the inventory they were sent was defective and instructing them quarantine the inventory, remove the listing from its website (which that part, they did) and not ship out any copies. It appears they have ignored the “do not ship” part and some of you may have received the defective “Joysticks” Blu-ray. You also may have noticed that some of the printing on the slipcover, wrap and disc looks like shit (dark, lines, crappy printing) as well (this part was not our doing but rather the printer’s fault. We have addressed this recently discovered issue as well with the upcoming corrected version.
If you ordered from Amazon PLEASE REQUEST A RETURN TO AMAZON AS A DEFECTIVE ITEM AND SEND IT BACK TO THEM. MVD does not have a replacement program planned and they were shipped to you by Amazon in error (their error). The upcoming May re-release will have corrected audio and the printed materials should look far better.
Once you have returned your defective copy, corrected copies can be reordered from Amazon here: https://a.co/d/geGOFq3
The new “Joysticks” item number: SKU: MVD15286BR / UPC: 760137152866. If your disc has this item number and UPC it is the corrected version.
Again, we apologize for this error and for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
BackStJoe (02-21-24)
Old 02-21-24, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 797 Likes on 530 Posts

I got mine yesterday. I’ve been trying to get this title for a long time so I’m just gonna hold onto mine and maybe reorder later. I only paid $15 so I can handle that.