DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground Releases Masterthread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/650174-mvd-synapse-blue-underground-releases-masterthread.html)

IBJoel 03-30-20 12:27 PM

MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground Releases Masterthread

Hi everyone! Going forward, this will be the master thread to discuss releases from Arrow, MVD, and Blue Underground, some awesome companies that I'm sure you're all familiar with. They actually have a sale going on right now that you may want to check out: http://www.mvdsale.com/ with a ton of titles marked down 50% and some stuff up to 80% off.

And we may be joined by a company rep to make announcements and answer questions!

asianxcore 03-30-20 12:52 PM

re: MVD, Synapse, and Blue Underground Releases Masterthread

Love this idea!

Honestly, having all of the Cult Distributor announcements & sales in this thread would be amazing.

OldBoy 03-30-20 03:52 PM

but Arrow does so much and many different genres. i don't know much about the others and don't really care, but liked the Arrow dedicated...

Norm de Plume 03-30-20 04:27 PM

Damn, I'm waiting for one of these companies to release some rarities that have never seen the light of day. So many great films remain unreleased, but I guess their rights are too hard to acquire.

DJariya 03-30-20 04:32 PM

I only own 1 MVD disc. Black Eagle, which is an old late 1980's action movie starring Sho Kosugi and a young Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Not a good movie, but MVD did a good job with the extras for such a relatively obscure title.

E Unit 03-30-20 04:33 PM

Yeah, not a fan of merging so many labels, but we were never asked, so oh well. I guess we're running out of internet.

Hazel Motes 03-30-20 05:57 PM

boooo

dex14 03-30-20 06:15 PM

Lumping in Arrow with the rest is silly. That would be like lumping in Criterion and Shout with other labels.

Bluelitespecial 03-30-20 07:34 PM

Supposedly Snapdragon is being released by MVD on July 14th. It's one of Pam Anderson's softcore movies that were often on the top shelf at video stores.
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=26470
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...71270da634.jpg

Hazel Motes 03-30-20 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13715009)
Lumping in Arrow with the rest is silly. That would be like lumping in Criterion and Shout with other labels.

I don't understand what was wrong with the way things were.

Dan 03-30-20 08:47 PM

Any must have titles from the sale? I've already got The Limits of Control and The Dead Center in my cart. Need two more for free shipping :lol:

dex14 03-30-20 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13715119)
Any must have titles from the sale? I've already got The Limits of Control and The Dead Center in my cart. Need two more for free shipping :lol:

Cinema Paradiso at $7.99 is a great deal. $9.99 for Eaten Alive and Society good deals too. There’s a decent amount of ones at $9.99.

I picked up The Limits of Control as well along with Audition, The Major and The Minor, and Dillinger.

Mike86 03-30-20 11:14 PM

I think these merged threads kill discussions around here personally.

E Unit 03-31-20 08:04 AM

I agree. Nothing was wrong with the way things were before the big lump.

Brian T 03-31-20 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13715119)

Which sale? I'm all confused. Arrow, I guess?

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13715203)
I think these merged threads kill discussions around here personally.

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13715280)
I agree. Nothing was wrong with the way things were before the big lump.

This is a bad idea, and it will discourage discussion. With these labels, I consider their catalogs, their marketing efforts and their overall philosophies as separate entities. I follow them individually on social media because they're separate entities. They should be discussed as separate entities because of all the wonderful things that make them different, not the nature of certain films in their catalogs that make them seem similar. Moreover, in this great age of niche disc collecting, they pretty much ARE the mainstream now.

I thought the creation of the "Thread for BF Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays" in the Blu-ray bargains forum was also unnecessary but at least that one could be justified since the discussion is largely about one thing that does connect labels like these – sales! – and we're still free (for now!?) to create or post in label-specific "deal" threads as the need arises.

Forcing discussion of these very unique labels together only serves to marginalize them further, and worse, buries all of the informative and ongoing discussions we've had in those threads over many years. This just kills the motivation. :(

Is there a long-term plan to lump Shout, Kino, Vinegar Syndrome, Severin and all the others into this thread as well?

Dan 03-31-20 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 13715372)
Which sale? I'm all confused. Arrow, I guess?

Link in the OP goes to MVD which has a sale on Arrow titles All else aside, those prices are pretty good if there's titles people are interested in.

Add me to the dissenters. This was a bad idea that will discourage discussion. I follow all of these labels on social media individually. I consider their catalogs, their marketing efforts and their overall "feel" as separate entities. Discussing them in one thread will make it virtually impossible to hold a proper discussion beyond listing and upcoming release now and again.
I don't disagree.
My guess would be that one of these companies paid for some signal-boosting, and corralling discussion of similar labels into one thread for a limited time would benefit them for that purpose.

PhantomStranger 03-31-20 05:36 PM

While it makes things slightly more difficult to discuss, combining the threads makes sense. There isn't enough critical mass anymore on this forum for supporting dozens of similar topics. Narrowing the genre labels to one thread should make for more discussion about new releases.

Brian T 03-31-20 05:54 PM

Slightly more difficult to discuss, but I wonder if it will become less compelling to discuss as well? Unless that's a long-term goal? The Blue Underground thread had 1600 posts, the Arrow thread 1300, both with in excess of 150,000 views. The MVD thread admittedly has fewer of each, but it's also a newer label and arguably even more niche than the other two. Just seems odd. How long before other seemingly related topics are merged, or discussion of noteworthy releases (for example, recent threads about interesting one-offs like JUST ONE OF THE GUYS or GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS) are locked and forced into threads not only related to their specific distributor labels, but groupings of labels? Maybe we really are running out of internet!

asianxcore 03-31-20 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13715739)
While it makes things slightly more difficult to discuss, combining the threads makes sense. There isn't enough critical mass anymore on this forum for supporting dozens of similar topics. Narrowing the genre labels to one thread should make for more discussion about new releases.

In all honesty, this is why I liked the idea. We don't have the sheer numbers that other forums have anymore.

While I understand wanting to keep the Arrow Thread separate, due to how often they put out releases (UK & US), other labels had threads that felt completely dead due to their thin release schedules.

davidlynchfan 03-31-20 08:44 PM

Anyone in this thread seen the movie "12 Angry Men" before? :rimshot:

Adam Tyner 03-31-20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 13715372)
Is there a long-term plan to lump Shout, Kino, Vinegar Syndrome, Severin and all the others into this thread as well?

Not that I'm aware of. The common threads between these labels is that they're distributed by MVD, and they're highlighted in a sale that's going on right now. MVD also handles physical distribution for Dark Side, Wild Eye, SRS, Oscilloscope, Full Moon, and Dark Force, among others. If I had to guess, I'd imagine we'd see some/all of those here before labels with other distribution deals.

asianxcore 04-01-20 01:18 AM

Arrow's UK Limited Edition release of After Midnight (2020) also includes Jeremy Garner's film The Battery (2012).

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...771f9f603.jpeg

asianxcore 04-01-20 01:20 AM

asianxcore 04-01-20 01:26 AM

Alejandro Jodorowsky Collection delayed until 6/30/20.

asianxcore 04-01-20 01:40 AM

Pre-orders for Blue Underground's 4K UHD releases of Maniac (1980) & Zombie (1979) are up on Amazon.

Only First Pressings will have the embossed Slipcovers.

Maniac

Zombie