DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Paramount Presents - new label launching 4/21/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/650036-paramount-presents-new-label-launching-4-21-20-a.html)

Adam Tyner 03-10-20 11:48 AM

Paramount Presents - new label launching 4/21/20

PARAMOUNT PICTURES LAUNCHES NEW “PARAMOUNT PRESENTS” LABEL TO CELEBRATE FILMS FROM THE STUDIO’S EXPANSIVE LIBRARY

HOLLYWOOD, Calif.— March 10, 2020 – Paramount Pictures announced today that it will introduce a new “Paramount Presents” label to recognize and celebrate films from the studio’s vast and storied library. The “Paramount Presents” banner will be used for a new line of collectible Blu-ray Discs™ incorporating a curated selection of enduringly popular movies, as well as films that had a cultural impact upon their release. The first three films in the Blu-ray line will be the unforgettable phenomenon Fatal Attraction, which has been remastered under the supervision of director Adrian Lyne; 1958’s acclaimed Elvis Presley drama King Creole; and director Alfred Hitchcock’s intoxicating romantic thriller To Catch A Thief, which celebrates its 65th anniversary this year. All three titles will be available beginning April 21, 2020. Fatal Attraction will also have a limited theatrical release in 2020 (details to be announced at a later date). Additional titles scheduled to be released as part of the “Paramount Presents” Blu-ray line include newly remastered editions of Flashdance, Airplane!, and Ghost, as well as several titles arriving on Blu-ray for the first time ever, including Pretty In Pink and The Golden Child.

“Paramount’s library represents over a century of filmmaking and includes some of the greatest films in cinematic history,” said Bob Buchi, president, worldwide home media distribution, Paramount Pictures. “We look forward to opening the vault and sharing some of our most treasured films with fans under the new ‘Paramount Presents’ banner, both in theaters and in our new Blu-ray collection, which has been crafted to offer something special to casual fans, dedicated film enthusiasts, and collectors.” Designed for fans and film lovers, the new line of “Paramount Presents” Blu-ray Discs will include a diverse and eclectic array of films spanning all genres. The new collection will return each title to the spotlight with meticulously remastered releases that include brand new bonus content focused on the filmmakers. Presented in collectible packaging that includes a foldout image of the original movie poster and interior artwork featuring key movie moments, each Blu-ray in the Paramount Presents line features new interviews with filmmakers and/or celebrated film historian Leonard Maltin.
Fingers crossed for Roman Holiday, which is indefensibly long overdue.

E Unit 03-10-20 12:09 PM

Re: Paramount Presents - new label launching 4/21/20

And to really celebrate, Paramount will make sure none of these will be part of MA.

But hell, I’m in, just so I can get a new remaster of Airplane.

Brian T 03-10-20 12:22 PM

Shout has some Paramount titles, don't they? Did the studio suddenly realize they've been neglecting a reasonable revenue stream for no apparent reason? And aren't there Blu-rays for most of those titles already? Ghost, Airplane, Flashdance, To Catch A Thief, Fatal Attraction all exist, and have decent special features for those who like those movies. Are people really screaming for new transfers on those? And King Creole on Blu in general? Seems like an excuse to repackage existing stock, or at best add some superfluous extras. And The Golden Child? Really?

Mike86 03-10-20 12:29 PM

Paramount seems like one of the laziest studios when it comes to releases. This line will probably end up like the Sapphire Series from way back where theyíll release some and abandon it.

Josh Z 03-10-20 01:12 PM

ďParamountís library... includes some of the greatest films in cinematic history,Ē said Bob Buchi.

And yet they're choosing to release Ghost, Flashdance, and The Golden Child instead? :)

orangerunner 03-10-20 01:59 PM

It's surprising how many fairly high-profile films have never been released on Blu-ray by Paramount, at least in North America.

Pretty in Pink
Some Kind of Wonderful
Golden Child
Harlem Nights
Boomerang
Another 48 Hrs.
Vampire in Brooklyn
Urban Cowboy
Blue Chips
Best Defense
...and so on.

Bluelitespecial 03-10-20 02:33 PM

So this is a new line for physical media releases and not just MOD titles? I still want a new release of the Ghost and the Darkness.

Brian T 03-10-20 02:34 PM

Not sure I'd count most of those as classic cinema greats, but there's certainly some excellent filmmaking in the bunch (and plenty of so-so performers). I don't get why Paramount wouldn't be more eager to let the boutique labels (besides Olive, preferably) more freely pick over their catalog, especially if they're only going to keep rehashing the same old titles they deem "enduringly popular" under their own banner. You'd think with the Fox catalog now off limits or whatever, Paramount might see a good niche opening up.

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13701175)
So this is a new line for physical media releases and not MOD titiles? I still want a new release of the Ghost and the Darkness.

:thumbsup: Long overdue. Would be nice to see Breakdown as well.

Why So Blu? 03-10-20 03:48 PM

I already have the original Paramount BD that was released in 2011 or 2012. I hope these new editions have updated remasters because I don't care for reissues.

DWilson 03-11-20 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13701217)
I already have the original Paramount BD that was released in 2011 or 2012. I hope these new editions have updated remasters because I don't care for reissues.

According to a press release quoted by bluray.com:
Additional titles scheduled to be released as part of the "Paramount Presents" Blu-ray line include newly remastered editions of Flashdance, Airplane!, and Ghost, as well as several titles arriving on Blu-ray for the first time ever, including Pretty In Pink and The Golden Child.

Alan Smithee 03-11-20 02:49 PM

Whenever they plug something as Remastered, I have to ask what was wrong with the last master? These really should be on 4K.

morriscroy 03-11-20 02:58 PM

Wonder how soon this series will be abruptly canceled, when Paramount comes to the realization that everybody is "waiting" for these titles to slide into dump bin territory.

E Unit 03-11-20 03:12 PM

No doubt it’ll be as successful as the Sapphire Series. All 4 titles.

milo bloom 03-11-20 03:24 PM

Are they gonna have spine#s? :)

I could do with a Blu of Airplane!

Mike86 03-11-20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13701823)
No doubt itíll be as successful as the Sapphire Series. All 4 titles.

Hey, donít short change it. The Sapphire Series got to seven titles. :lol:

Actually I read that what happened is that they started it around the time that they came to that agreement with WB to distribute their catalog titles. Maybe this will do better but I kinda doubt it.

Goonies85 03-11-20 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by orangerunner (Post 13701150)
It's surprising how many fairly high-profile films have never been released on Blu-ray by Paramount, at least in North America.

Pretty in Pink
Some Kind of Wonderful
Golden Child
Harlem Nights
Boomerang
Another 48 Hrs.
Vampire in Brooklyn
Urban Cowboy
Blue Chips
Best Defense
...and so on.

Agree with those, especially Blue Chips, although I would kill for a release of The Parallax View...I actually thought Criterion would've picked that up but I guess they haven't....

Norm de Plume 03-11-20 08:59 PM

I'd like to see an official release of Dr. Cook's Garden (1970).

TheBang 03-11-20 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13701883)
Hey, donít short change it. The Sapphire Series got to seven titles. :lol:

Actually I read that what happened is that they started it around the time that they came to that agreement with WB to distribute their catalog titles.

Not really. The Sapphire Series started in 2009, and the Warner thing didn't happen until 2012.

Toddarino 03-12-20 04:37 AM

In for Blue Chips. Mostly due to the fact I’m trying to get all the Friedkin films.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-16-20 01:11 AM

What about a new remaster for the Godfather movies?

The picture quality is terrible.

dex14 03-16-20 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13705098)
What about a new remaster for the Godfather movies?

The picture quality is terrible.

Terrible? You must have a shitty setup. The restoration version is great. It will never look demo worthy. It looks like how it was supposed and was supervised by Coppola and Gordon Willis.

Bluelitespecial 03-16-20 08:56 AM

Here's what the packaging will look like.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...97f918225b.jpg

milo bloom 03-16-20 10:42 AM

Spine numbers!

But seriously, I'll be cherry picking these just like I do for Criterion. It looks nice, but not nice enough to buy movies I'm not interested in.

Brian T 03-17-20 10:15 AM

Still not feeling these. These titles are just so pooped-out at this point, and Paramount has far more interesting stuff in its library. That FATAL ATTRACTION pic reminded me of Paramount's "Directors Series" VHS collection back in the 80's (I think?). Might've been on laserdisc, too. It was supposed to be a ongoing series celebrating the studio's "legendary" films, in letterbox format, with fluffy director intros, fancy packaging (big swooshy signatures on the box), maybe other bonuses. I think the boxes had flaps that opened up with production photos inside. Not surprisingly FATAL ATTRACTION was one of the first titles (and google images sez STAR TREK IV and PAPER MOON were included, but seemingly little else). Much like the Sapphire Series years later, I don't recall it ever gaining traction.

Josh Z 03-17-20 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 13706071)
Still not feeling these. These titles are just so pooped-out at this point, and Paramount has far more interesting stuff in its library. That FATAL ATTRACTION pic reminded me of Paramount's "Directors Series" VHS collection back in the 80's (I think?). Might've been on laserdisc, too. It was supposed to be a ongoing series celebrating the studio's "legendary" films, in letterbox format, with fluffy director intros, fancy packaging (big swooshy signatures on the box), maybe other bonuses. I think the boxes had flaps that opened up with production photos inside. Not surprisingly FATAL ATTRACTION was one of the first titles (and google images sez STAR TREK IV and PAPER MOON were included, but seemingly little else). Much like the Sapphire Series years later, I don't recall it ever gaining traction.

Fatal Attraction, Star Trek IV, and Paper Moon indeed had "Directors Series" editions on Laserdisc. Annoyingly, the discs were authored with no chapter stops, which was especially problematic since ST IV and Fatal Attraction both opened with video introductions by the directors that could not be skipped except to fast forward through them.

I opted to purchase the standard edition of ST IV specifically for this reason. It was the same video transfer and still had no chapter stops, but at least the movie would start right away when you played the disc.

E Unit 03-17-20 02:02 PM

I’ve never even pondered whether or not to get a movie based on chapter stops. Huh. Not a bad thing, and I can see how that would impede on someone buying it or not. But I also have those two on laser, and remember that being annoying.

Josh Z 03-17-20 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13706225)
Iíve never even pondered whether or not to get a movie based on chapter stops. Huh. Not a bad thing, and I can see how that would impede on someone buying it or not. But I also have those two on laser, and remember that being annoying.

Because Laserdisc was a much more linear experience than DVD or Blu-ray, without any user menus to access content through, the authoring of the disc was a huge problem in this case. The lack of chapter stops was a very stupid oversight by Paramount. At the very least, they should have put the director interviews after the movie, rather than before.

David Lynch still hates chapter stops, and the Criterion Blu-rays of his movies (Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, etc.) have none. It's very irritating if you ever want to look at a specific scene without watching the entire movie. Of course, that's exactly what he wants to prevent you from doing, because he can be an ass about certain things like that.

Red Hood 03-17-20 09:30 PM

Will they finally release the theatrical cut of The Warriors? That release hasn’t seen the light of day since they decided to re-release the film on DVD with only the director’s cut

Goonies85 03-17-20 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13706547)
Will they finally release the theatrical cut of The Warriors? That release hasnít seen the light of day since they decided to re-release the film on DVD with only the directorís cut

Agreed. I so regret selling off my original DVD when the "Special Edition" was announced...I really hate those comic book sequences and prologue and felt they were completely unnecessary and really ruin the momentum and transition between scenes. The original version was near perfect...

On a side note, I remember babysitting way back when and I rented that Warriors PlayStation game, which was friggin awesome...Hell, I wouldn't mind if they updated it with better graphics and sound and just re-released it on the current gen's console systems...It was really immersive and was a great use of the franchise...

Goonies85 03-17-20 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 13706243)
Because Laserdisc was a much more linear experience than DVD or Blu-ray, without any user menus to access content through, the authoring of the disc was a huge problem in this case. The lack of chapter stops was a very stupid oversight by Paramount. At the very least, they should have put the director interviews after the movie, rather than before.

David Lynch still hates chapter stops, and the Criterion Blu-rays of his movies (Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, etc.) have none. It's very irritating if you ever want to look at a specific scene without watching the entire movie. Of course, that's exactly what he wants to prevent you from doing, because he can be an ass about certain things like that.

Can't remember for sure, but I think, for Roman Polanski's Criterion of Knife in the Water, they took out chapter stops at least for the short films on the second disc. Not super-annoying, as I had never seen them before and really only intended on seeing them once, anyway, but it was still a bit frustrating when I'd be writing a paper on Polanski in a film class option or reading a book on Polanski and wanting to immediately check out one of his short films and have to fast-forward through them until I found the right one...I think the main film had chapter stops but I can't quite remember...

And I agree that I don't really like the "Lynch approach"...There's a fast-forward button, dude, so until you someone manage to disable that, people are going to be able to skip ahead to certain scenes, only get a little frustrated doing so, so ultimately your attempts at only wanting viewers to view your movies in essentially one sitting is null and void...so why fight it? (Still love his movies though, even though I still haven't quite seen what others have in Eraserhead...it's okay, but not close to Lynch's top movies...)

Alan Smithee 03-18-20 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Goonies85 (Post 13706617)
Can't remember for sure, but I think, for Roman Polanski's Criterion of Knife in the Water, they took out chapter stops at least for the short films on the second disc.

Not only that, but they disabled EVERY button other than Stop during the actual movie- no pause, scan, nothing. I checked it out from the library just to laugh at that. I watch my movies with as little of that as possible anyways, but funny to see the director make sure it played straight through and nothing but that!

Coral 03-18-20 08:05 AM

The removal of the pause button kind of works against their intention.
They want the viewer not to watch the movie in parts - they want you to only experience the movie from beginning to end. But if someone has to go to the bathroom while watching and they can't pause the movie - they'll just go and wind up missing 5+ minutes of the movie... which goes against the idea of watching the movie in its entirety. It's worse if someone has to take multiple bathroom breaks, or need to answer the door, the phone or grab a drink, etc. The movie experience is being butchered thanks to this ridiculous restriction.

Josh Z 03-18-20 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Goonies85 (Post 13706617)
And I agree that I don't really like the "Lynch approach"...There's a fast-forward button, dude, so until you someone manage to disable that, people are going to be able to skip ahead to certain scenes, only get a little frustrated doing so, so ultimately your attempts at only wanting viewers to view your movies in essentially one sitting is null and void...so why fight it?

The UK Blu-ray release of Mulholland Drive is especially perverse about this. That disc only has a random access chapter menu. There's a bunch of ambiguous images on the menu page, and whichever one you pick, there's no telling where in the movie it will send you. The results are different every time you go back to the menu. Skipping forward and backward while watching the movie has also been completely disabled even though the disc is encoded with chapter stops.

orangerunner 03-18-20 02:21 PM

The no chapter stop option makes no sense. If a film-maker feels the need to do this, a good compromise would be to have chapter stops every five minutes and yet not provide a menu to allow the user to select a particular chapter. The user would have to press the "skip" button until they find the section of the movie they are looking for.

At least this way the user can fumble their way back to where they left-off without too much headache.

dex14 03-24-20 07:00 AM

Fatal Attraction preorder is up on Amazon for $12. It says MSRP is $24.99. Might be a pricing error, so if interested, I'd lock it in.

To Catch a Thief has an MSRP of $29.99 and is currently $27.76 on Amazon. King Creola has the same $29.99 MSRP and is at $22.99.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...cf9bf39fba.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...31168c3d20.jpg

Trevor 03-24-20 08:09 AM

$12 is tempting, but I doubt I’ll ever buy another mainstream title that doesn’t include digital.

E Unit 03-24-20 09:59 AM

In the age of 4K, I’m not even remotely interested if these are only on blu. And digital for that matter.

Why So Blu? 03-24-20 10:22 AM

To Catch a Thief was released almost 10 years ago on BD. I have it.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...d45d5c2f27.jpg

Coral 03-24-20 10:28 AM

These are nice releases... in 2010. In 2020, does anyone really give a shit about packaging anymore (nevermind physical media in general)?
I'm sure there's some interest, but it had to be pretty small at this point.

Spiderbite 03-24-20 10:38 AM

Yeah. Not sure what they are thinking with these releases at this point. If they were doing the same thing but including them in 4K...well, that would make a little more sense. But this seems like a pointless exercise that will soon be abandoned.