DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Paramount Presents - new label launching 4/21/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/650036-paramount-presents-new-label-launching-4-21-20-a.html)

Why So Blu? 04-24-20 08:46 PM

Re: Paramount Presents - new label launching 4/21/20

That's the one I prefer, too.

Why So Blu? 04-24-20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13729805)
The big selling point for both of them is the new 4K transfers supervised by Adrian Lyne. Some supplemental material is missing.

Fuck that. I paid $4.99 for the FA 4K digital via vudu. I'll probably watch it this weekend -- I'm lagging on that one with all this other shit I've been watching this week.

clckworang 04-25-20 03:58 AM

I like the idea of this line, but the initial announcements are supremely underwhelming. Looks like it's a good thing I already own To Catch a Thief, and I love Airplane but am not sure I find it necessary to upgrade if it's not a proper 4k release. Same goes for Fatal Attraction.

dex14 04-29-20 06:17 AM

Fatal Attraction is $12 on Amazon again.

OldBoy 04-09-21 09:53 PM

I just bought a bunch of these cheap. New. Why does only Trading Places and Elizabethtownhave digital codes? Why wouldn’t they all?

PhantomStranger 04-10-21 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13918386)
I just bought a bunch of these cheap. New. Why does only Trading Places and Elizabethtownhave digital codes? Why wouldn’t they all?

I suspect it has to do with producer agreements over digital rights. They've gotten better about including digital codes in recent waves.

Highly recommend The Court Jester from this line. Magnificent VistaVision film transfer that dazzles even on Blu-ray. Paramount should have put it out on UHD. About the only consistent things in this line are fancy slipcovers and the Leonard Maltin featurettes.

https://www.doblu.com/tag/paramount-presents/

dex14 04-26-21 01:27 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...5e913dd3a.jpeg

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***
Coming to Blu-ray 7/6 from Paramount Presents!

48 HRS
· Filmmaker Focus: Director Walter Hill on 48 HRS.
· Theatrical Trailer
· Space Kid—original 1966 animated short, which makes an appearance in the film
New 4K scan

ANOTHER 48 HRS.
· Filmmaker Focus: Director Walter Hill on ANOTHER 48 HRS.
· Theatrical Trailer
New 4K scan

Why So Blu? 04-26-21 02:11 PM

I guess I'll have to get these as placeholders for the eventual 4K disc releases. I can now retire my digital HD of Another 48hrs.

milo bloom 04-26-21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13926298)

"Shoot them! They're the evil clones!"
"No, shoot them! They're the evil clones!"

dex14 05-21-21 05:21 AM

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***
In addition to the 4K Steelbook, there’s a standard Blu-ray of “Almost Famous” (2000) coming on 7/13 from Paramount Presents

new 4K film transfer of both cuts of the film

Pre-order: https://amzn.to/3hEf5qw

Extras
* New Releases
* Greatest Hits
* Intro by Cameron Crowe
* The Making of Almost Famous
* Interview with Lester Bangs
* Cameron Crowe's Top Albums of 1973
* "Fever Dog" Music Video & Much More

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...d7545aa2b.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...01c8874cd.jpeg

Decker 05-21-21 08:56 AM

Here's the Steelbook cover
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...cf5c205d11.jpg
It's maybe my favorite movie so I guess I have to rebuy it again.
It's currently $5 cheaper at Best Buy than Amazon $25.99 instead of $30.99

lwhy? 05-21-21 10:50 AM

I'm glad I held off on buying the Blu-ray of Almost Famous a few weeks ago. I'm going to pre-order it at Best Buy for pick-up so hopefully I'll get one without dents in it. Amazon has been sending me Blu-rays and CDs in oversized bubble mailers and I have been getting damaged items lately.

OldBoy 05-21-21 06:46 PM

Fuck yeah!!

OldBoy 05-21-21 06:50 PM

Does the 4K SteelBook also come with remastered Blu-ray and extras?

OldBoy 05-21-21 06:54 PM

No. I don’t think so. Oh well. Blu for me!

Decker 05-22-21 01:24 AM

It does have the extras, just not the Blu Rays. I am pretty sure your XSX will play UHD 4K discs in HD on a HDTV. I will check on my Xbox One X and my HDTV tomorrow.

One new feature is Rock School which I really want to see. Nancy Wilson and Peter Frampton took the cast members playing the band and taught them how to credibly perform as rock stars onstage. The story is well covered in the third episode of this amazing podcast series Origins : Almost Famous Turns Twenty I bet there are some really cool things in that feature.

Decker 05-22-21 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13936676)
It does have the extras, just not the Blu Rays. I am pretty sure your XSX will play UHD 4K discs in HD on a HDTV. I will check on my Xbox One X and my HDTV tomorrow.

Confirmed. It plays just like a Blu Ray on a game console that plays UHDs.

PhantomStranger 05-23-21 05:29 PM

The music label is also using the movie's 4K release as an excuse to issue a super deluxe 5-CD soundtrack set personally overseen by Cameron Crowe.

OldBoy 05-23-21 05:38 PM

5? That’s a bit much. I liked ‘Fever Dog”. And, of course the original songs and the whole soundtrack in general. Had 1 or 2 disc soundtrack once, a lot. Loved the movie even more, but 5 cds sounds like a lot and makes me think of Sopranos originally dvd briefcase portfolio with all of the music in I don’t remember how many discs. And I played them, liked them, but one and done. Not only do I not have desire, but would rather digital anyway.

OldBoy 05-23-21 05:48 PM

I’m fine with the restored Blu-ray edition. Once I would of course gotten SteelBook and too bad blus not included, but it’s fine. I’m not big on Steels anymore. Couldn’t even tell you last I got. Probably a UK Marvel movie. Probably. Actually I think I got one more recently. I’m Not Afraid of Dark or something like that. Came out similar time to One Cut of the Dead, actually it was BB’s Casper for some reason. I really have no idea why and no desire to even watch it anytime soon...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...ea1930ac6.jpeg

JeffTheAlpaca 05-24-21 08:48 PM

Almost Famous 4K is a Best Buy exclusive? I don't see it at Amazon.

lwhy? 05-24-21 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13937777)
Almost Famous 4K is a Best Buy exclusive? I don't see it at Amazon.

It's listed on Amazon.

Decker 05-24-21 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13937786)

​​​​​​.... if you really want to pay $5 more for it.

lwhy? 07-09-21 04:46 PM

I preordered both the Blu-ray and 4K versions of Almost Famous. I had originally ordered both from Best Buy, but Best Buy cancelled the Blu-ray order for some unknown reason, so I then preordered the Blu-ray at Amazon. It’s being released next week on the 13th, but Amazon emailed me that It won’t be delivered until the 21st…

dsa_shea 07-09-21 06:09 PM

I got my Almost Famous 4k steelbook in today. Watching the Bootleg Cut right now.

lwhy? 07-10-21 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13955668)
I got my Almost Famous 4k steelbook in today. Watching the Bootleg Cut right now.

How's the picture quality?

dsa_shea 07-12-21 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13955815)
How's the picture quality?

It is really nice. I have no complaints.

lwhy? 07-12-21 01:36 PM

My Blu-ray copy of Almost Famous actually shipped today and I should have it Wednesday. That's better than the 21st. I ordered the 4K steelbook for curbside pickup at Best Buy, but I won't be able to pick it up until Saturday. I'm hoping for no dents.

Why So Blu? 07-12-21 03:07 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8c157589f1.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a3faea7c43.jpg

Skillful and suspenseful, Paramount’s beloved thriller BREAKDOWN comes to Blu-ray in a director-approved remaster, from a new 4K film scan. Kurt Russell is Jeff Taylor, headed toward a new life in California with his wife Amy (Kathleen Quinlan). When their car dies on a remote highway, a seemingly helpful trucker (J.T. Walsh) offers Amy a ride to the local diner while Jeff waits with the car. Then Jeff discovers his vehicle was deliberately tampered with, and by the time he gets to the next town, his worst fears are about to come true. This limited-edition also includes new special features, including a look at the never-before-seen alternate opening, and an audio commentary with director Jonathan Mostow and star Kurt Russell.

Special Features:
Commentary By Director Jonathan Mostow and Kurt Russell
Filmmaker Focus: Director Jonathan Mostow on Breakdown
Victory Is Hers - Kathleen Quinlan on Breakdown
A Brilliant Partnership - Martha De Laurentiis on Breakdown
Alternate Opening
Alternate Opening With Commentary By Director Jonathan Mostow
Isolated Score
Theatrical Trailers

OldBoy 07-16-21 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13936726)
Confirmed. It plays just like a Blu Ray on a game console that plays UHDs.

had no idea. Any type of upconvert or just same a/v as regular Blu?

OldBoy 07-16-21 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13956722)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8c157589f1.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a3faea7c43.jpg

Skillful and suspenseful, Paramount’s beloved thriller BREAKDOWN comes to Blu-ray in a director-approved remaster, from a new 4K film scan. Kurt Russell is Jeff Taylor, headed toward a new life in California with his wife Amy (Kathleen Quinlan). When their car dies on a remote highway, a seemingly helpful trucker (J.T. Walsh) offers Amy a ride to the local diner while Jeff waits with the car. Then Jeff discovers his vehicle was deliberately tampered with, and by the time he gets to the next town, his worst fears are about to come true. This limited-edition also includes new special features, including a look at the never-before-seen alternate opening, and an audio commentary with director Jonathan Mostow and star Kurt Russell.

Special Features:
Commentary By Director Jonathan Mostow and Kurt Russell
Filmmaker Focus: Director Jonathan Mostow on Breakdown
Victory Is Hers - Kathleen Quinlan on Breakdown
A Brilliant Partnership - Martha De Laurentiis on Breakdown
Alternate Opening
Alternate Opening With Commentary By Director Jonathan Mostow
Isolated Score
Theatrical Trailers

I love this movie, but got the Imprint Blu, from Australia, I believe, and except for commentary on PP which I would be interested in with Russell. The others are probably few minutes like many on the PP line. Might get both. Think the Imprint is remastered, no? Definitely like the PP packaging.

Why So Blu? 07-16-21 10:56 PM

I already have the digital HD and am getting this just for the Kurt Russell commentary. He's gonna be rolling like he normally does, although this film is more straightforward than anything he ever did with John Carpenter, which makes it even more curious, IMO. And it's coming from a 4K scan, so that sweetens deal even more.

DJariya 07-16-21 11:01 PM

I just watched Breakdown less than 6 months ago on Prime video. It's good thriller and holds up pretty well.

Maybe I'll get the BD later on at some point. I don't have an immediate urge to re-watch it again right now.

OldBoy 07-16-21 11:02 PM

I have digital too. I just think it’s overkill to have both, but they do both have completely different extras. And, the Russell commentary would be totally worth it. Wonder when it was recorded though. It’s tough.

Toddarino 07-19-21 08:37 AM

I know it’s not going to fall under the presents banner, but it appears Paramount is re-releasing the Relic. I only stumbled upon this last night when I tried to watch my old BD of it and it appears to have disc rot.

dex14 08-30-21 09:55 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...ad66d86dc.jpeg

E Unit 08-30-21 12:22 PM

Nope, I’m good.

OldBoy 08-30-21 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13977175)

anything new on this?

dex14 08-30-21 03:38 PM

Latest addition to the Paramount Presents line debuts November 16, 2021 with new bonus content.

Tom Cruise, Penélope Cruz, and Cameron Diaz star in Cameron Crowe’s Vanilla Sky, arriving on Blu-ray as part of the paramount presents line on November 16, 2021 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Written for the screen and directed by Crowe and newly remastered from a new 4k film transfer under his supervision, Vanilla Sky is presented in a limited-edition Blu-ray disc™ with collectible packaging featuring a foldout image of the film’s theatrical poster and an interior spread with key movie moments. The blu-ray includes a new filmmaker focus with crowe, access to a digital copy of the film, and the extensive legacy bonus content detailed below:

· filmmaker focus: Cameron Crowe on vanilla sky (hd)—new!
· commentary by Cameron Crowe & Nancy Wilson
· alternate ending with optional commentary by Cameron Crowe (hd)
· prelude to a dream (sd)
· hitting it hard (sd)
· an interview with Paul McCartney (sd)
· gag reel (sd)
· music video “afrika shox” by leftfield/afrika bambaataa (sd)
· photo gallery with audio introduction by photographer neal preston (hd)
· mask test with optional commentary by Cameron Crowe (hd)
· Kurt Russell single take with optional commentary by Cameron Crowe (hd)
· trailers (sd)
· deleted scenes with optional commentary by Cameron Crowe (hd)
· credits (hd)

A mind-bending roller coaster ride of romance, suspicion, sex and dreams, Vanilla Sky was produced by Crowe, Cruise and Paula Wagner and features visually stunning cinematography by Academy Award® winner* John Toll (Braveheart, Legends of the Fall), including an unforgettable sequence in New York City’s Times Square. The film was originally released on December 14, 2001 and follows a self-indulgent and vain publishing magnate (Cruise) who finds his privileged life upended after a vehicular accident.

Paramount presents: Vanilla sky

street date: November 16, 2021

u.s. Rating: R for sexuality and strong language

OldBoy 08-31-21 07:21 AM

Thx dex. Must for me.