DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Are you ever influenced by purchases in the "last Blu-ray you bought" thread? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/649976-you-ever-influenced-purchases-last-blu-ray-you-bought-thread.html)

OldBoy 03-02-20 11:33 AM

Are you ever influenced by purchases in the "last Blu-ray you bought" thread?

last Blu-ray you bought?

I am, of course, always curious as to what other people get. sometimes i see them, look into them a bit, if i never heard of, and get if it seems like something i would enjoy. i have almost never had a bad blind buy (or so i know of as of yet since i have a lot of unwatched).

so do you ever look at another members last bought and decide to get?

OldBoy 03-02-20 11:34 AM

Re: Are you ever influenced by purchases in the "last Blu-ray you bought" thread?

just recently, i got Standoff at Sparrow Creek bc i saw in that thread mentioned a couple times. looked into it and thought it would be for me. Runaway on Blu-ray is another. of course, i got the wrong one, but Blu-ray nonetheless...

Why So Blu? 03-02-20 11:46 AM

Re: Are you ever influenced by purchases in the "last Blu-ray you bought" thread?

Sometimes.

E Unit 03-02-20 11:57 AM

I forgot about that thread. Thought that was only reserved for Oldboy.

Mike86 03-02-20 12:06 PM

Once in a while Iíll see something I either didnít know about or forgot about, so yeah I guess Iíll say sometimes.

Trevor 03-02-20 03:10 PM

I stopped looking at those vanity/post count threads.

OldBoy 03-02-20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13696662)
I stopped looking at those vanity/post count threads.

r u serious? you really think it's about vanity or padding post counts? i think it's just interesting what people buy. no judgement and just curiosity if anything else and like i said get a recommend or two...

PhantomStranger 03-03-20 05:48 PM

Occasionally it sparks my interest.

OldBoy 03-03-20 07:20 PM

Then why would people post in it? Maybe thatís the better question? I dunno, thought this straightforward and relevant...

asianxcore 03-06-20 05:20 AM

Nope

Jon2 03-07-20 08:21 PM

Nope. Don't care what other people are watching.

morriscroy 03-08-20 09:10 AM

I use such threads as a mental catalog of "what NOT to buy".
:horsepoo:

Furthermore, I keep a mental list of titles released on 4Kbluray as guide of "what NOT to buy".

To severely limit my compulsive OCD impulse buying of generic blurays, I also use a jedi mindfuck of "no 4Kbluray = no sale" to achieve this. (I don't even own a 4Kbluray player, nor any computer bluray-r drives which are capable of reading 4Kbluray movie discs).

Eventually for most of these "no bluray = no sale" and "no 4Kbluray = no sale" titles, I eventually end up watching such movies 2+ years later on basic cable channels or even network tv. I came to the realization that most of these 4Kbluray disc movies were largely mediocre or outright shit.

kd5 03-08-20 11:11 AM

Rarely, since my chosen genres differ from most here, but occasionally I'll see something that piques my curiosity and I'll look into it further, maybe putting it in a wish list somewhere for future reference. Usually not though.

PhantomStranger 03-08-20 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by morriscroy (Post 13699955)
I use such threads as a mental catalog of "what NOT to buy".
:horsepoo:

Furthermore, I keep a mental list of titles released on 4Kbluray as guide of "what NOT to buy".

To severely limit my compulsive OCD impulse buying of generic blurays, I also use a jedi mindfuck of "no 4Kbluray = no sale" to achieve this. (I don't even own a 4Kbluray player, nor any computer bluray-r drives which are capable of reading 4Kbluray movie discs).

Eventually for most of these "no bluray = no sale" and "no 4Kbluray = no sale" titles, I eventually end up watching such movies 2+ years later on basic cable channels or even network tv. I came to the realization that most of these 4Kbluray disc movies were largely mediocre or outright shit.

You are missing out on some really impressive UHDs.

morriscroy 03-08-20 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13700142)
You are missing out on some really impressive UHDs.

Of course.

For the time being and in the forseeable future, I can live with this absence.

Iron_Giant 03-08-20 06:09 PM

Yes...only because I forgot a movie was coming out or if the movie had come out awhile back OR if the post were they bought it for a good deal.

BuckNaked2k 03-09-20 07:04 PM

In the past, yes, but not so much any more. I can always count on that thread to see a bunch of obscure horror titles I've never heard of!

dex14 03-12-20 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant (Post 13700156)
Yes...only because I forgot a movie was coming out or if the movie had come out awhile back OR if the post were they bought it for a good deal.

"Coming out"? Whoa whoa whoa... Better be careful about that social training!