Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

So what’s your particular reasons for buying physical over digital or nothing?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: What are your buying preferences?
Get what I want. All physical. Don’t really care about digital.
78.05%
Get only certain (special editions, ones only disc, etc.). Rest on digital.
9.76%
Only digital.
4.88%
Nothing for space reasons. Just wait for some streaming service or cable.
0%
Nothing for monetary reasons.
0%
Other (please specify...)
4.88%
What are you high?
2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

So what’s your particular reasons for buying physical over digital or nothing?

Old 05-22-20, 07:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: So what’s your particular reasons for buying physical over digital or nothing?

Just add Flight of Navigator at end, by Dawn DVDs. I’ll reorganize sometime...
Old 05-23-20, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: So what’s your particular reasons for buying physical over digital or nothing?

Rented a movie on Vudu last night, and it crapped out twice to buffer. My discs players have never done that. Intend on renting a few more digital movies soon so we'll see how that goes.
Old 05-23-20, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Random censorship will end up being the main reason why physical media will always remain superior. Disney has digitally changed Splash on their Disney Plus service, covering up Daryl Hannah's butt for no reason. More troubling is the random change by Netflix's copy of Back to the Future 2. They've made sloppy edits removing visual references to Biff's French girlie magazines.

Hollywood has shown they don't mind changing classic content for the changing whims of today. It's only going to get worse in coming years once streaming services are the only alternative.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (05-25-20)
Old 05-25-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Random censorship will end up being the main reason why physical media will always remain superior. Disney has digitally changed Splash on their Disney Plus service, covering up Daryl Hannah's butt for no reason. More troubling is the random change by Netflix's copy of Back to the Future 2. They've made sloppy edits removing visual references to Biff's French girlie magazines.

Hollywood has shown they don't mind changing classic content for the changing whims of today. It's only going to get worse in coming years once streaming services are the only alternative.
That's a bit misleading since there's instances where the home video releases have edits/censoring too. Depending on the Streaming services, most of them are keeping the movie as is without any changes like the Criterion Channel.
Old 05-25-20, 07:06 PM
Suspended

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Rented a movie on Vudu last night, and it crapped out twice to buffer. My discs players have never done that. Intend on renting a few more digital movies soon so we'll see how that goes.

Seriously, you have shitty internet.
Old 05-26-20, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Just add Flight of Navigator at end, by Dawn DVDs. I’ll reorganize sometime...
I have some of those! If my closets weren't already packed with things, I'd love to do something like that. They're currently on top of my DVD shelves and my wife hates the look of it.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

Zemeckis has asked Netflix to change BTTF 2 back to the original and asked Universal to destroy that copy.
I don't recall, what was shown? Surely not an actual nude?
Old 05-31-20, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
You have terrible internet if that happens. It would be like complaint the new Star Wars Blu-ray doesn’t work on my launch Samsung BD player from 2006.
Old 05-31-20, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

While I think movies look better on disc vs streaming but I've never had buffering problems. I use Google Fiber.