DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Hammer Blus: import or domestic? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/649441-hammer-blus-import-domestic.html)

JOE29 12-25-19 08:31 PM

Hammer Blus: import or domestic?

With a few more Hammer titles coming out this year, plus a few already released. I want to ask your opinion.
Should I pay the extra cost for a new release, or pay less for an region B blu at a lesser cost?
For example- Rasputin the Mad Monk will be released in Feb. of 2020 for $25. + tax, I can get the earlier relesed Region B disc for $10.
It's the same movie, but should I pay for the possible better quality, newly releaased disc? or stay with a earlier release for the lesser price?
There's a few other blu's that I want that are in the same situation.
What would you do?

davidh777 12-25-19 08:41 PM

re: Hammer Blus: import or domestic?

Depends on your finances and other factors, but I’d rather support the domestic release and hope that it encourages them to put out more of them.

Paul_SD 12-25-19 09:24 PM

Re: Hammer Blus: import or domestic?

I've got the UK Rasputin S-C release. I don't have anything to compare it to, having never seen the film prior to this disc, but I can't recall anything about it, visually or aurally, that infringed on my enjoyment of the material.
From a AV standpoint, it's a solid release (projection set-up, large screen, quality sound system etc).

The S-C releases I have are all fine, and you can leverage shipping by ordering several at once.
With SF stuff, I'll have to wait for another Target B2G1 sale. Otherwise their stuff is constantly priced outside my comfort zone.
The Scream releases generally have better jacket art, usually using the original key art, which I love. But that alone isn't usually enough to get me to pop for a higher priced disc.
To The Devil A Daughter has better extras on the Scream release. Ditto for Devil Rides Out which offers the un-cg'd print in even better quality that the new cg transfer on either release.

rocket1312 12-26-19 08:52 AM

The UK Indicator Hammer box sets are incredible and absolutely worth importing.

JOE29 12-26-19 03:30 PM

I did end up ordering the $10 Region B disc. Ended up saving $10 compared to the unreleased disc due out in Feb.
I will go back and forth between new, future releases and the past region b releases as they become available.
I figured that I'd save some money wherever I could.

Paul_SD 12-26-19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 13661082)
The UK Indicator Hammer box sets are incredible and absolutely worth importing.

Indicator has access to the Sony owned Hammers which Mill Creek put out here in very inexpensive double feature releases.

PQ is generally better, but usually not as much as the price disparity would lead you to think.
One area where Indicator demonstrably excels is in extras and packaging.
Depending on how much you value the specific films, the MC might be the better, and far more economical alternative for many people.
But I agree that the Indicator sets are great. Since the Sony content is usually region free, Deep Discount will often carry many of their releases, though you'll definitely save a few bucks importing them direct from Amazon.

PhantomStranger 12-27-19 04:39 PM

There are no easy answers when it comes to Hammer on BD. Greatly depends on your price sensitivity and how much special features mean to you.

DWilson 12-31-19 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 13661302)
Indicator has access to the Sony owned Hammers which Mill Creek put out here in very inexpensive double feature releases.

PQ is generally better, but usually not as much as the price disparity would lead you to think.
One area where Indicator demonstrably excels is in extras and packaging.
Depending on how much you value the specific films, the MC might be the better, and far more economical alternative for many people.
But I agree that the Indicator sets are great. Since the Sony content is usually region free, Deep Discount will often carry many of their releases, though you'll definitely save a few bucks importing them direct from Amazon.

Amazon has currently dropped the price on the Hammer boxes. I was really only interested in the first one, and finally ordered it a few weeks back when it dropped 12 pounds from it's original price there).

Paul_SD 12-31-19 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13663148)
Amazon has currently dropped the price on the Hammer boxes. I was really only interested in the first one, and finally ordered it a few weeks back when it dropped 12 pounds from it's original price there).

:jawdrop: Congratulations! I see the first three sets are £30 now (less minus the VAT), which is still a great price for four films each, done well. I'd highly recommend Volume 2 for anyone who doesn't have it. Cash On Demand and Never Take Candy/Sweets...are about as good as anything Hammer ever produced.

JOE29 01-02-20 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13661748)
There are no easy answers when it comes to Hammer on BD. Greatly depends on your price sensitivity and how much special features mean to you.

I care more about getting the whole uncut movie with the best possible quality than the special features.
As for these new US releases, I will buy them also when they come available. But if I can save a bit of money
mixing in a Region B release well, I'm up to doing that.