Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Old 12-26-19, 01:39 AM
  #76  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 8,477
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

It locks in the item price- but since the price is in £, and you aren't charged until it's ready to ship, the currency conversion rate on the day you order will likely be different than the day- weeks or months from then- when it finally ships.
Ex- final cost after the removal of VAT and with shipping charges added on this day of 12/26 w/ standard delivery, comes to £153.08 or ...

eh, n/m as it's not giving the option of using Amazon's currency conversion for pre-orders more than 14 days in advance anymore.

Old 12-26-19, 01:14 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 14,353
Received 215 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
There are 4k versions of Star Wars and Jedi out there. Empire is coming eventually. Depending on your tolerance of grain, these are generally preferable to Harmy's versions, which are pretty out of date at this point.
What do you mean by out of date? Is it because they 780p instead of 1080p or 4K?

I plan to get the 77k and 83k versions once the 80k version comes out. I have zero interest in watching the official altered versions and don't care for the prequels or the sequel trilogy. I have not bought a copy of the original trilogy since those awful non-anamorphic transfers were put on DVD years ago. Looks like I will be sticking to bootlegs until I die. At least that is an option. I have been really wanting to see the unaltered trilogy for a long time now and was staying away from the Harmy's as much as possible. But with JJ Abrams recently stating that there was no way it was coming out, I gave my money to someone else. It sucks and I don't like supporting bootlegs but if the owners won't release stuff, I have no problems going that way in music and movies.

Any time frame on when the 80k is coming out? I didn't plan to get into the 77k or 83 k until the Empire version is released so I can check them out all at the same time.
Old 12-26-19, 02:08 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,608
Likes: 0
Received 517 Likes on 362 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
What do you mean by out of date? Is it because they 780p instead of 1080p or 4K?
​​​​The fan preservation community has just come a long way since the last versions were released. Better sources, better equipment, better color references, etc. Harmy would probably be the first to admit this. They're fine for what they are, and in the case of Empire it's still best thing out there, but I think the 4k releases have eclipsed them. No word on when Empire might be available. It's the one of the three that doesn't have a good print source, so the restoration needed is far more extensive. Presumably UHD based restoration will start showing up at some point as well.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (12-26-19)
Old 12-26-19, 05:52 PM
  #79  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Toddarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northeastern Wisconsin
Posts: 3,410
Received 446 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

I figure I lived with the shitty dvd versions for this long. Harmy’s “Outdated” ones will last me for quite some time.
Old 12-26-19, 08:39 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,249
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Until 4K80 sees the light of day, it can be worth tracking down the "Grindhouse Dreamastered V2" version of Empire. It's not remotely close to being a full restoration but it's a 1080p scan of an original 35mm print, with some color correction applied.
Old 12-27-19, 08:59 AM
  #81  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,436
Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

I just thought about this today. I was an early adopter to DVD as I bought a player way back in March 1998, as the DIVX vs DVD wars were still going on. One of the biggest reasons I wanted a DVD player was for the Star Wars Trilogy (The Special Editions had just come out the year before so nobody had an idea that Lucas would make them the definite editions). 21 years later, I still can't watch a proper version of the Original Original Trilogy on DVD, BluRay, 4K. lol
Old 12-27-19, 09:07 AM
  #82  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,196
Received 382 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I just thought about this today. I was an early adopter to DVD.... 21 years later, I still can't watch a proper version of the Original Original Trilogy on DVD, BluRay, 4K. lol
How did you miss the Limited Edition DVDs? Granted, it was a Laserdisc master that was way under par in terms of quality for DVD releases in 2006, but there was a DVD release of the Original Unaltered Trilogy.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ori...ltered_trilogy
Old 12-27-19, 09:10 AM
  #83  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,196
Received 382 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
​​​​Presumably UHD based restoration will start showing up at some point as well.
Aren't those what the 4K77, 4K83, and 4K80 restorations are?
Old 12-27-19, 10:12 AM
  #84  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 37,192
Received 689 Likes on 498 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
How did you miss the Limited Edition DVDs? Granted, it was a Laserdisc master that was way under par in terms of quality for DVD releases in 2006, but there was a DVD release of the Original Unaltered Trilogy.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ori...ltered_trilogy
I'm glad I bought these back when they first came out. I figured it was as close to the original OT we'll get.
Old 12-27-19, 10:40 AM
  #85  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 23,128
Received 727 Likes on 595 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

While an option those discs were far less than desirable in my opinion. The fact that they weren’t even anamorphic when DVD was at its height or a little past and Blu-ray’s were starting to be available made those releases weak.

It seemed like another screw you from Lucas. You want the unaltered Original Trilogy? Well here, take them in this crappy format, that way you’ll see how inferior they are.
Old 12-27-19, 10:45 AM
  #86  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,196
Received 382 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
While an option those discs were far less than desirable in my opinion.
Oh, I agree. But the fact remains that they did exist, so a DVD option was made available, technically.
Old 12-27-19, 10:56 AM
  #87  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 23,128
Received 727 Likes on 595 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Oh, I agree. But the fact remains that they did exist, so a DVD option was made available, technically.
Yeah. I just remember at the time (and even now) thinking: why would I double dip on the discs I already have to get the unaltered Original Trilogy as “bonus features” that weren’t in the proper format.
Old 12-27-19, 11:00 AM
  #88  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,196
Received 382 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Amazon UK has a very bare-bones description up now:
Limited Edition (27 discs) featuring all 9 Saga movies on 4K UHD, Blu-ray and Bonus discs (Blu-ray) for every movie in a special collector's set.
So it sounds like each movie gets a UHD BD & BD of the feature, and a bonus disc BD

It'll be interesting to see what they put on the bonus disc for each movie. The ST will probably just be the existing bonus discs from their single releases, but the PT and OT will finally have their extras split out on individual discs, potentially allowing space for more extras. Could they split 'Empire of Dreams" into three parts, one part for each OT movie? Include "The Beginning: Making Episode I" on TPM bonus disc?

Doing one bonus disc per movie will make it easier for Disney to repackage into individual UHD movie releases later on. The bummer about the currency Blu-ray single movie releases of the OT and PT is the lack of extras.
Old 12-27-19, 06:33 PM
  #89  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,608
Likes: 0
Received 517 Likes on 362 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Aren't those what the 4K77, 4K83, and 4K80 restorations are?
Those are 4k transfers of theatrical prints. I meant restorations based on the upcoming UHDs,
Old 12-27-19, 09:08 PM
  #90  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,196
Received 382 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
Those are 4k transfers of theatrical prints. I meant restorations based on the upcoming UHDs,
So another "despecialized," but using the official UHD transfers as the base?
Old 12-28-19, 08:22 AM
  #91  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,608
Likes: 0
Received 517 Likes on 362 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
So another "despecialized," but using the official UHD transfers as the base?
Yes. Probably won't happen for a while, but they'll come eventually.
Old 12-28-19, 09:47 AM
  #92  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,196
Received 382 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
Yes. Probably won't happen for a while, but they'll come eventually.
Actually, I was looking around, and someone is has already released a "D+77" version, based off the Disney+ release. It's not a full restoration or despecialization, but it gets rid of the most egregious changes.
Old 12-28-19, 10:20 AM
  #93  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 16,685
Received 907 Likes on 689 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I just thought about this today. I was an early adopter to DVD as I bought a player way back in March 1998, as the DIVX vs DVD wars were still going on. One of the biggest reasons I wanted a DVD player was for the Star Wars Trilogy (The Special Editions had just come out the year before so nobody had an idea that Lucas would make them the definite editions). 21 years later, I still can't watch a proper version of the Original Original Trilogy on DVD, BluRay, 4K. lol
I waited a little while because neither Star Wars nor Star Trek was on DVD at first, and I thought that once the one started, the other would follow. Finally got a player once the Star Trek TOS discs started getting released and then my collection exploded. I have nearly 1600 DVDs and Blus now (and have probably let go of a couple hundred over the years). It's 22 years now and we still don't have proper versions of the OT on disc, just half-assed "here, stop your whining" versions that any respectable filmmaker would be ashamed to have their name attached to.

I truly believe that a big chunk of the toxicity in Star Wars was born of the decision to first make the SEs, then, secondly, to refuse the release the original versions. Some of the fans just kinda let their collecting and whatnot die down (like me) and others just went absolutely feral. Yes, it's their own choice but it's still hard not to think it so easily could have been avoided.
Old 12-28-19, 02:35 PM
  #94  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Toddarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northeastern Wisconsin
Posts: 3,410
Received 446 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I waited a little while because neither Star Wars nor Star Trek was on DVD at first, and I thought that once the one started, the other would follow. Finally got a player once the Star Trek TOS discs started getting released and then my collection exploded. I have nearly 1600 DVDs and Blus now (and have probably let go of a couple hundred over the years). It's 22 years now and we still don't have proper versions of the OT on disc, just half-assed "here, stop your whining" versions that any respectable filmmaker would be ashamed to have their name attached to.

I truly believe that a big chunk of the toxicity in Star Wars was born of the decision to first make the SEs, then, secondly, to refuse the release the original versions. Some of the fans just kinda let their collecting and whatnot die down (like me) and others just went absolutely feral. Yes, it's their own choice but it's still hard not to think it so easily could have been avoided.
100%
If Lucas would have just released the original theatrical versions on Blu-ray, he could have continued to tinker with his special editions and all the goodwill would still be intact.
Old 12-29-19, 04:54 PM
  #95  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 14,353
Received 215 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)


The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (01-11-20)
Old 01-01-20, 03:05 PM
  #96  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 38,471
Received 1,319 Likes on 951 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
One of the biggest reasons I wanted a DVD player was for the Star Wars Trilogy (The Special Editions had just come out the year before so nobody had an idea that Lucas would make them the definite editions). 21 years later, I still can't watch a proper version of the Original Original Trilogy on DVD, BluRay, 4K. lol
When they re-released the Star Wars trilogy on VHS in 1995 it was advertised as the last chance to own the original trilogy, so we were warned.
Old 01-01-20, 04:35 PM
  #97  
Premium Member
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: In my Breakfast Nook looking at Why So Blu
Posts: 17,485
Received 666 Likes on 505 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Yep, I left those big “Last Chance” stickers on my laser discs when I bought the trilogy.
Old 01-02-20, 09:57 AM
  #98  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 16,685
Received 907 Likes on 689 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
When they re-released the Star Wars trilogy on VHS in 1995 it was advertised as the last chance to own the original trilogy, so we were warned.
Nobody either took that seriously or understood it to mean "all future home video formats". The trilogy had been released on so many formats, and nobody ever really stopped releasing a title (even Disney's vaulting was cyclical) and those in the know were aware of DVD coming just two years later so

And then, we got the half-assed release on DVD with the non-anamorphic versions, so that's another strike against that.

There's nothing holding back the release of the OT except some stubbornness on George's part. Even JJ tried to get Disney to release them but was held back.
But I can't believe we'll never see them. They're just too important to the legacy of the franchise.

Old 01-02-20, 11:52 PM
  #99  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 69,805
Received 1,757 Likes on 1,294 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

So this has basically turned into "Why I don't need to own this set" thread. right?
Old 01-03-20, 12:23 AM
  #100  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 23,128
Received 727 Likes on 595 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Nobody either took that seriously or understood it to mean "all future home video formats". The trilogy had been released on so many formats, and nobody ever really stopped releasing a title (even Disney's vaulting was cyclical) and those in the know were aware of DVD coming just two years later so

And then, we got the half-assed release on DVD with the non-anamorphic versions, so that's another strike against that.

There's nothing holding back the release of the OT except some stubbornness on George's part. Even JJ tried to get Disney to release them but was held back.
But I can't believe we'll never see them. They're just too important to the legacy of the franchise.
Yeah, I remember the ads about owning the originals one last time, and while I was young enough looking back its easy to see why people would have thought it was marketing bullshit just to get people to buy. Same way that Disney puts stuff into the vault or titles go out of print before getting a re-release for an anniversary or whatever. Lucas is just the only one stubborn enough that he doesn’t care what the fans want, and then wonders why people dislike him.

I definitely feel like you’re right that the special editions are what started some of the rift in the fanbase. The way I’ve always looked at it is the special editions were largely done to make elements of the prequels work better. So in turn that gave the purists another reason to hate the prequels.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.