Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Old 12-19-19, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 502 Likes on 355 Posts
Re: Star Wars

Best Buy apparently accidentally listed early a box set of the SkyWalker Saga, 9 films, 27 discs, "4K" UHD Blu-ray, with a March 31, 2020 release date:
https://heroichollywood.com/star-war...saga-set-leak/

27 discs seems like a lot until you realize that split over 9 films, that's only 3 discs each movie, and if it's UHD Blu-ray, the means the 3 discs for each film are likely:
  • UHD Blu-ray of feature film
  • Blu-ray of feature film
  • Blu-ray of extras for film
Old 12-19-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Nice looking set
Old 12-19-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 689 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Cool looking set. But, I already own the FOX "Complete Saga" BD box set and also have The Force Awakens on BD and The Last Jedi on 4K.

Plus, the movies are on Disney + streaming in 4K with the exception of The Last Jedi, which comes out December 26th.

I don't think I really "need" this. I have so much Star Wars content already to last me months or even years.

and I still have the old FOX special edition DVDs as well with all the long documentaries.

I don't know if I want to shell out $150 to 200 for this. I'm a fan, but not a hardcore fan where I need everything Star Wars.
I’ve been “future proofing” by getting 4K packs of the few physical discs I buy, but apparently that started after eps 7 and 8. It’s possible the only 4K I have is Solo, which I don’t even like that much.

And considering I have everything on BD and also D+, this set will be a pass from me.
Old 12-19-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 886 Likes on 721 Posts

It would be nice if there was a more stripped down set that cost a bit less. $250 for nine films seems high. Although I guess since this release includes 4K copies that probably is close to what they’d come out to individually. Not sure if I’m going to want to drop that much on this release though. Especially since they’re available on Disney+, and this more than likely won’t include the versions of the Original Trilogy I want.
Old 12-19-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,095 Likes on 823 Posts

Thedigitalbits says that book thing is a Best Buy exclusive and there should be "normal" versions too:

In any case, we know that Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga in deluxe packaging is going to be a Best Buy exclusive release—that’s the packaging we showed you yesterday. We also now know that there will be a wide release of The Skywalker Saga on Blu-ray and DVD (18 discs each) in the UK based on Amazon.co.uk and Zavvi retail leaks.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/121919-0930

Still going to wait and see.
Old 12-19-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

$250 for this box set, or watch all of the movies in 4k on Disney+ for $6.99? Yeah, this is gonna fly off the shelves...
Old 12-19-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the UHD thread, there will also be a standard Blu-ray set a and a DVD set:
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Thedigitalbits says that book thing is a Best Buy exclusive and there should be "normal" versions too:

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/121919-0930
We also now know that there will be a wide release of The Skywalker Saga on Blu-ray and DVD (18 discs each) in the UK based on Amazon.co.uk and Zavvi retail leaks.

Still going to wait and see.
The fact that the Blu-ray and DVD sets are 18 discs strongly suggests that the additional 9 discs in the UHD set are just the UHD versions of each movie.

Original versions of the original trilogy seems unlikely, as JJ Abrams made a statement about that about a week ago, where he asked about the original versions and was "told" that it wasn't possible.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/248...released-again
I’ve been told that for reasons I don’t necessarily understand, that’s not possible.
Old 12-19-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post

They spelled "Perpetual Death Star Saga" wrong.

Also. I've had enough Collector's sets that are books with pockets for the discs, to know - that ain't worthwhile collectible packaging. If anything, it's less desirable than a simple functioning case, or set of cases, design with a good booklet.
Old 12-19-19, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure the only thing making it “not possible” is Lucas remaining stubborn about not releasing the unaltered films. Regardless of whether or not Disney owns LucasFilm they clearly respect his wishes in regards to that.
Old 12-19-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I'm sure the only thing making it “not possible” is Lucas remaining stubborn about not releasing the unaltered films. Regardless of whether or not Disney owns LucasFilm they clearly respect his wishes in regards to that.
Which doesn't make sense considering he allowed the release of the old laserdisc transfers on DVD several years ago. If he was well and truly opposed, he wouldn't have allowed even that. Instead, it just came across as him being cheap and not wanting to pay for the work needed to restore it. And considering how many prints are in existence and how easily fans have been able to make versions, somebody like Disney could have it done with pocket change.

There's something else out there we're not privy too. If even JJ can't use his influence, that's saying something
Old 12-19-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Except they already dissed him massively by completely rejecting his vision for the ST.
No one is expecting Disney to decree the original theatrical versions released to supplant the ever evolving special ed editions. Just like Shout did with Badham's Dracula they could (relatively) easily reconstruct this material to conform to the original theatrical states (in terms of storytelling, not necessarily shoddy matte work, etc) and then offer those versions as supplemental features in the same way Lucas himself already has. Albeit in a more than simple, off-the-shelf decades old, transfer way.
Old 12-19-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Except they already dissed him massively by completely rejecting his vision for the ST.
No one is expecting Disney to decree the original theatrical versions released to supplant the ever evolving special ed editions. Just like Shout did with Badham's Dracula they could (relatively) easily reconstruct this material to conform to the original theatrical states (in terms of storytelling, not necessarily shoddy matte work, etc) and then offer those versions as supplemental features in the same way Lucas himself already has. Albeit in a more than simple, off-the-shelf decades old, transfer way.
Yeah. It seems like a weird tangled web over at Disney/LucasFilm. On the one hand I feel like out of some weird loyalty to Lucas they’re honoring what he wants by not releasing the unaltered Original Trilogy, but on the other hand they didn’t respect him enough to take his input for the sequels.

Also totally agreed about the handling of releasing the films. I would buy a big grand box set with the unaltered Original Trilogy as options amongst the special edition edits (whatever those are at the time, because they keep changing). I don’t expect just the unaltered films and nothing more. I just find it so ridiculous that it’s like pulling teeth to get anyone to move on releasing the films as they were with no alterations. Heck to be truthful though I would even accept minor alterations such as the added line of Episode IV A New Hope to the title crawl and things like the space field shots being cleaned up and whatnot.
Old 12-21-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Until there is a listing for "Star Wars: The Complete Maclunkey Collection" I will assume it is fake.
Since it sounds like this won't include the original theatrical versions of the OT this probably will be the Maclunkey edition, since they will probably be the same as the 4K versions on Disney+
Old 12-21-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,249 Posts

The price point seems questionable for what amounts to three good movies, three bad movies, and three pointless movies. I've already bought the OT twice on DVD (2004 boxed set, limited editions) and once on blu-ray (Complete Saga boxed set) and the prequel trilogy twice (individual DVDs, and the Complete Saga blu-ray set). Not eager to drop another $250+ on these things.

Only really interested in the OT, and maybe the PT. Hopefully they release these blu-ray editions either as separate movies or separate trilogies (with all of the bonus content).
Old 12-21-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 4,057 Likes on 2,748 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The price point seems questionable for what amounts to three good movies, three bad movies, and three pointless movies.
Help, I've rolled my eyes so far back into my head that I can't see anymore!
Old 12-21-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,003 Likes on 726 Posts

I remember when I paid $250 for the Star Wars Definitive Collection on laserdisc for 3 movies.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (12-21-19)
Old 12-21-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree the price point is pretty high and is going to be a hard sell. Especially since Disney+ exists now and people are free to watch the films there whenever they feel like it.

I realize they’re not just going to give it away either, but I would say maybe more like $150-$175ish maybe would be better. Even that would still be a lot, but this just feels like they’re really trying to squeeze out whatever they can from Star Wars fans who want to own physical media versions of the films, and they still won’t even include the one thing the die hard fans really want.
Old 12-21-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,709 Posts

There will be the hardcore fans who have to own everything Star Wars and will buy it and post unboxing videos on YouTube.

Old 12-21-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
There will be the hardcore fans who have to own everything Star Wars and will buy it and post unboxing videos on YouTube.
Yeah, and I’ll watch that video and that will satisfy my curiosity so I can stick with the Blus I have already.
Old 12-23-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm curious to how the discs look compared to Disney Plus, which I assume is using a lower bit rate all around. I'm not $250 curious however.

I've only watched ANH and TESB on Plus but they are outstanding as is.
Old 12-23-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I remember when I paid $250 for the Star Wars Definitive Collection on laserdisc for 3 movies.

So do I. I also remember how much dead air there was in those audio commentary tracks, and how paltry the image galleries and other supplemental content was.
And back in those days, pre e-commerce, it was almost impossible to score a good discount for something like this. I think I ended up paying a full $250 for it ( which would be like $445 today).
Also unlike the original WS LD releases which were sold as separate films, I was being forced to buy a film I couldn't stand to get the other two films I loved.

I ended up selling this set to a local record store owner for 2/3 what I paid for it about a month after I bought it. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth for this brand after that.
Old 12-24-19, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I almost think they have to put the OOT versions in this set as I don't know anyone who has a 4K player and will shell out this kind of money for a set like this when they already have the movies. The DVD was a big deal in 2004 (even thought it was the SE) because the difference between VHS and DVD is such a leap, that everyone I know bought it. The 2011 BluRay was still an upgrade because they had the OT deleted scenes in that set so that was a selling point to many people I know. I know that JJ pretty much said it aint happening, but they need something to sell fans on this set other than 4K, cause it's such a niche market like Laserdisc.
Old 12-24-19, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's now official pre-orders up. The limited edition set is "Only @ Best Buy" in the US, and an "Amazon Exclusive" in the UK.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/star-wa...?skuId=6393929
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-24-19, 08:54 AM

Received 3,442 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I almost feel like having the entire package be a picture of the Death Star on a set called "The Skywalker Saga" is just them trolling at this point.
Old 12-24-19, 09:12 AM
Banned by request

Received 776 Likes on 580 Posts

“The Skywalker Saga - Volume 1”

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.