Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How important to you is picture quality when watching a movie at home?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: How important to you is picture quality when watching a movie at home?
Very important -- I want the best of the best
50.00%
Somewhat important -- Regular HD is good enough for me
39.29%
Don't really care. I can watch as low as SD NTSC content on my TV just fine
10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

How important to you is picture quality when watching a movie at home?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts
Re: How important to you is picture quality when watching a movie at home?

Originally Posted by asianxcore
It depends on the source of the film that I am watching.

If it's a newer film, I would like the quality of the Blu-Ray to be great.

If it's a 2K/4K Restoration, I also would like the quality of the Blu-Ray to be great.

If it's a film that was shot on an extreme budget (such as SOV Genre Films from the 80s), I don't need the quality to be great, just the film to be complete.
I agree for the most part. For me, it's a sliding scale. The key thing for me is that the film is in it's proper aspect ratio (or thereabouts); fortunately, HBO, -a long holdout, -mostly broadcasts films in their OAR these days. After that, I try for 4K or HD/Blu-Ray where I can. These days I've learned to appreciate up-scaled DVDs from the county library, which is great for catching films I'd rather not blind-buy.
Old 10-09-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I refuse to watch a movie or almost anything in SD.

If I get a DVD from Netflix and not a Blu-ray I will return it immediately.
I keep my DVD-only's at the bottom of my queue and keep checking to see if they come up on Streaming with another service or HBO.
That way I don't lose track of movies I want to watch.
Old 10-12-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's very important but my DVDs still look good on the OLED. I usually don't upgrade unless I find a title that is cheap on 4K or BD.
Old 10-12-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I aint rebuying anything in 4K, thats for sure.
Old 10-12-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VQ is extremely important to me.

Started buying DVDs because of the awesome VQ on my old 32 Inch Tube TV.

The BR with my HDTV.

Now, I am a 4K VQ snob sometimes. LOVE movies that are TRUE 4K on the Disk, get close to 3D at time. I buy 4K BR all the time now, but I ONLY upgrade is the VQ takes a HUGE Leap from the BR.
Old 10-12-19, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Just rewatched Monty Python and the Holy Grail for the gazillionth time and even with the Bluray, you can really tell the source film was not great. There were some pretty grainy images and wobbly scenes, but! I didn't see compression artifacts or macroblocking, just grain and such.

So I guess the answer is conditional. A really good movie can overcome so-so viewing conditions, but I could see trying to watch a bad movie and having poor viewing quality make it harder to get into it.
Old 10-13-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
I used to think the same but I'm limiting my 4k rebuys to movies that are meaningful to me. I only have a dozen.
Old 10-13-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Just rewatched Monty Python and the Holy Grail for the gazillionth time and even with the Bluray, you can really tell the source film was not great. There were some pretty grainy images and wobbly scenes, but! I didn't see compression artifacts or macroblocking, just grain and such.

So I guess the answer is conditional. A really good movie can overcome so-so viewing conditions, but I could see trying to watch a bad movie and having poor viewing quality make it harder to get into it.
Even worse were tv shows which were produced during the late-1980s and into the early-2000s, which were edited on digital videotape and locked into ntsc interlaced 480i resolution.

A lot of genre tv shows I was watching over the years on dvd, was mediocre scifi / action stuff from the 1990s like: Total Recall 2070, the revived Outer Limits, Lexx, Earth: Final Conflict, La Femme Nikita, Psi Factor, War of the Worlds, Mutant X, etc ...

I suspect a lot of this mediocre scifi stuff will never have restorations to hd or higher resolutions. If they were to release this stuff on bluray (or higher resolutions), most likely they would take the lazy way and just do a dumb static 480i -> 1080p upscaling (similar to what was done for the Farscape blurays).

Old 10-15-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

It depends. I prefer the best available, which in the case of some ultra-obscure films is quite substandard. But I'd rather see them in a watchable but imperfect form than not at all.
Old 10-15-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not even Blue Velvet?
Old 10-15-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I've kept the rebuying to a minimum but if a movie is cheap enough my curiosity about how the 4k looks will rope me in on occasion.
Old 10-15-19, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by melasnus
Not even Blue Velvet?
nope. The MGM BD is good enough. Just a username I quickly picked on a whim here.
Old 10-15-19, 09:00 PM

I might upgrade from DVD to 4K, though. Or has this happened yet? A movie released on DVD but no BD but got a 4K release?
Old 10-15-19, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

I might upgrade from DVD to 4K, though. Or has this happened yet? A movie released on DVD but no BD but got a 4K release?
Hard to say, but most 4k releases I see also come with a regular BD. Of course that doesn't mean a separate BD release is available, but it would seem likely.
Old 10-15-19, 09:55 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I chose Somewhat Important. I don't care about the best of the best, but I do appreciate a good picture. Regular HD does well enough for me.
Old 10-15-19, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by andicus
Hard to say, but most 4k releases I see also come with a regular BD. Of course that doesn't mean a separate BD release is available, but it would seem likely.
Yup, I’m sure everything on 4K has been on BD too or will coincide with one. I think some of the James Cameron films would be the prime candidate for my question, though. Come on Jimmy Boy..

Last edited by davidlynchfan; 10-15-19 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-16-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I have a 75" 4K Dolby Vison TV for the 4K and standard 2D Blu-ray movies and a 3D capable projector for 3D movies. For me that's only half the experience as I also have a Dolby Atmos set up for the full surround sound experience.
Old 10-20-19, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

If you have a 75" TV I would not see why anybody would want to watch a movie on a tablet, cellphone. or computer.
Old 10-20-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,824 Likes on 1,225 Posts

I like it to be as good as possible, but if that means a VHS rip on youtube, then I'll take it. I will be upgraded to bargain class 4k tomorrow, but, however, I most likely won't do much double dipping if I already have something I like on BD. Definitely NOT into watching things on my phone ....
Old 10-21-19, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you have a 75" TV I would not see why anybody would want to watch a movie on a tablet, cellphone. or computer.
Yeah, I don't get that either.
I didn't spend all those thousands of dollars on my HT and then NOT use it.
Old 10-21-19, 06:04 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

I don't own a smart phone (yet) so I can't speak to watching movies on a phone. I do own a tablet but I don't try to watch TV/movies on it because I don't have that much time on it when I use it. I accept that you can't take a 75" TV with you on a plane, and that under those circumstances a person might resort to watching TV or a movie on a phone or a tablet, but given a choice (which I'll always have), I'll watch on my TV at home, never on a phone (or a tablet).

Regarding my prior statement about HD being good enough for me, unless there are extenuating circumstances (Outland), SD looks pretty darned good on this 65" LG.
Old 10-21-19, 08:01 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I don't own a smart phone (yet)
Can I sidetrack for a moment and ask what that's like? It's hard to imagine not having one whenever I need or want it at any given moment.
Old 10-21-19, 08:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
I have a 75" 4K Dolby Vison TV for the 4K and standard 2D Blu-ray movies and a 3D capable projector for 3D movies. For me that's only half the experience as I also have a Dolby Atmos set up for the full surround sound experience.
Definitely this part. PQ is HALF of the experience, especially for new movies, and SOUND is the other half for me. I think 3D would be much more of an in-depth experience for me IF they had an Atmos soundtrack included. Sadly, they all but strip it down to whatever standard HD track there is for it. I think if more people were able to enjoy to hear a full Atmos soundtrack (i.e. NOT soundbars), they would have a much better experience. But even with top quality picture, without great sound to accompany it, you're not getting the full experience.

Old 10-21-19, 11:14 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story
Can I sidetrack for a moment and ask what that's like? It's hard to imagine not having one whenever I need or want it at any given moment.
I use a flip phone, all I need it for is to make and receive phone calls. Any computing I need done is performed at home on my desktop computer. I have a tablet but I usually only use it to access my email and visit DVD Talk on lunch break. I acknowledge that when these flip phones die, I'll probably end up doing smart phones because that's the direction technology has taken, but I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 10-22-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by story
It's absolutely wonderful! I do not want or need the intrusion of a cell phone, though I'd like to use an old flip-phone of my mother's for emergencies when we're up at the cottage, which is veritably in the middle of nowhere and glorious. Whenever I hit the dirt road to drive the 15 km to the village hardware store for supplies, I have to borrow her phone. The problem is that we here in Canada don't have something like FreedomPop. Any old phone can call 911 for free, but I can't, for instance, call home to ask we need X, or call CAA if the car breaks down.
Does anyone here use FreedomPop? I suppose this conversation should move elsewhere.