Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How important to you is picture quality when watching a movie at home?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: How important to you is picture quality when watching a movie at home?
Very important -- I want the best of the best
50.00%
Somewhat important -- Regular HD is good enough for me
39.29%
Don't really care. I can watch as low as SD NTSC content on my TV just fine
10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

So how important is picture quality to you?

Is just a regular HD picture from your BD or Netflix/Hulu good enough? Or do you want top notch and prefer a 4K UHD disc or stream?

or do you not care at all and can still watch 480p standard definition NTSC video? Or worst yet, 4:3 video.

I'm probably in the somewhat important boat. I like 4K content, but I can't really tell the difference. I'll take it as long as it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to watch it.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-06-19 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: How important to you is picture quality when watching a movie at home?

On one hand I realize the mathematical difference in resolution but at the same time that doesn't always translate to my enjoyment of watching the film.

For instance I have one of those crappy RCA 480p projectors and also a nice 40" 1080p TV. I often find myself using the crappy RCA projector with a 100" image over my HDTV. With subpar DVDs, especially those in 4:3, I find the picture quality to be more pleasing to watch as the projector doesn't seem to have the mosquito noise that the same disc produces on the HDTV.

I used to fuss a lot more about the quality but I find that while I'm watching the movie my eyes (or brain) just accepts the quality for what it is and it tends to look better.

All things being equal, I prefer the HD version but it isn't essential to my enjoyment.

So far I have no interest in 4K.
Old 10-06-19, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

My perspective has evolved as I got older.

When I was younger, I insisted on watching things in the best then-current picture quality. Back in the day, this meant watching something on laserdisc.

In more recent times before 4Kbluray was released, I insisted on watching scifi, fantasy, action, etc ... type stuff in HD resolution. Though by the time 4Kbluray was on the market, I was already in the burnout phase of constant repeated disappointments with lousy scifi movies + shows.

Nowadays I don't really care as much anymore. I haven't bothered purchasing a 4K screen nor a 4Kbluray player. Too burned out and too tired to care anymore. Though when my current hd screen dies, I'll end up buying a new 4K screen. (1080p HD screens don't seem to be available anymore).
Old 10-06-19, 02:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

The story is all that matters. I can get immersed in a good story on a 5” b&w TV on vhs almost as much as in a state of the art theater.
Old 10-06-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm not 4k yet, so the middle and bottom option. I also check out a lot of DVDs from the library and those do just fine. I also go to the movies alot, too, so that's how I get my 4k/Atmos/IMAX fix.
Old 10-06-19, 04:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Tbh: since I wear prescription glasses and do need a new prescription, it really all looks the same to me. HD and 3D is enough for me for awhile to come. I mean I know shit from good pic and audio, but if great story, great movie, that’s mostly what matters. Perhaps if I ever update my script
Old 10-06-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I picked it's very important but I don't want the best of the best. I recently moved to 4k but I'm super selective as to which movies I buy.
Old 10-06-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I have Paramount's The Warriors on DVD and that disc is 480P and looks awesome on my 4K TV, 4K Oppo player. I don't own the blu-ray because it's the Director's Cut but I'm happy with the DVD and hoping for a 4K release without the Director's Cut crap comic book footage.

However if a new movie don't look good on 4K that's a huge problem. If an old movie can look great on HD why can't a newer release? So in that regard image is very important depending on the release of the movie.
Old 10-06-19, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I went with "Very important", but it's not a hard and fast rule. There are so many movies that are streaming in 4K/HDR and yet don't get an Ultra HD Blu-ray release. I've generally been going physical for those, even if the resolution is lower. But I'm starting to see the allure of just renting 'em digitally instead, especially since it's a quarter the cost and I'm typically only going to watch them once anyway.

Plus I don't see myself upgrading everything to Ultra HD Blu-ray, so I can see myself watching a fair number of movies in HD no matter what else is available. I'll admit that it's very rare for me to watch a DVD anymore, and when I do, it's mostly stuff that isn't on Blu-ray (Now and Then, Arsenic and Old Lace, etc.).
Old 10-06-19, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Its important to the point that i'd like to see everything clearly. I dont see the point in 4K it looks the same as Blu Ray to me, and most of the time Blu Ray looks the same as Dvd to me. But being that is it is. I also will watch movies On Vhs that havent come out on Dvd and im happy with that quality. So if its clear and playable Im happy. I just like the movie I dont need maximum resolution for my eyes that cant tell a difference. But I do understand why its important for alot of people though
Old 10-07-19, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
I have Paramount's The Warriors on DVD and that disc is 480P and looks awesome on my 4K TV, 4K Oppo player. I don't own the blu-ray because it's the Director's Cut but I'm happy with the DVD and hoping for a 4K release without the Director's Cut crap comic book footage.

However if a new movie don't look good on 4K that's a huge problem. If an old movie can look great on HD why can't a newer release? So in that regard image is very important depending on the release of the movie.
Since Shout is licensing from Paramount now, speculation is that Warriors could end up being a Shout SE with original version. Wouldn't be 4K though.
Old 10-07-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Since I don't have any 4K tvs I guess I have to go with the middle option. I'll go 4K when they break ... but even then, I don't see myself needing to go through all the double (and triple and quadruple) dipping silliness I've already gone through with my favorite movies.
Old 10-07-19, 12:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I still have my 65" DLP since I can swap out the bulb for $35, I'm tempted to upgrade to a 4K etc, but this picture is still pretty good and I hate the idea of tossing something that still looks pretty good.
Old 10-07-19, 12:32 PM

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

Still on 42" and 40" 1080p TVs... When one breaks I'll get a 4K model but until then mine are plenty good enough for me.
Old 10-07-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Somewhat important. I've got a lot of DVDs we still watch on our hidef display that are starting to show their age, but it depends on the disc. Some DVDs just look like slightly fuzzier than others on a bigger display, and those are okay. But the ones that have macro-blocking and such I can't stand to look at and I'll try to upgrade those.
Old 10-07-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Since Shout is licensing from Paramount now, speculation is that Warriors could end up being a Shout SE with original version. Wouldn't be 4K though.
Old 10-08-19, 11:15 AM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I immediately thought very important until I remembered I haven’t switched to 4K yet. I still watch a lot on dvd, but it’s mostly a cost/availability thing. If it’s something I watch often, I’ll keep upgrading. When I do finally cross the border and get a Panasonic next year, the first purchases I make will be Gremlins, Ghostbusters and Dawn Of The Dead.
Old 10-08-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

My 'somewhat important' response is also due to not having a 4K setup, at this point.
Old 10-08-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since I'm at our library's mercy for most of our viewing content, I can't be too picky for content that I'm not paying for. Thankfully they have been carrying more blu rays though.
Old 10-08-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Audio quality is slightly more important, but both need to be the best of the best. Most of my friends make fun of me for still using discs (4K and BD only), but if it is Dolby Atmos and uncompressed video, then I am totally cool with that over ease of use.
Old 10-08-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Happy with regular HD. 1080p with 5.1 channel surround is my sweet spot.
Old 10-08-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I need the best picture quality possible.
Old 10-08-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I refuse to watch a movie or almost anything in SD.

If I get a DVD from Netflix and not a Blu-ray I will return it immediately.

I will rewind or pause a Netflix streaming movie if it is in 480p until it reaches 720 or 1080p
Old 10-08-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Very.

BD isn't "good enough" once you've gone 4k HDR w/ some form of ultra-black. Just stunning.

Like any format change though, I'm not replacing my BD collection, just not buying anymore and opt for 4k. No sense in going back.
Old 10-09-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

It depends on the source of the film that I am watching.

If it's a newer film, I would like the quality of the Blu-Ray to be great.

If it's a 2K/4K Restoration, I also would like the quality of the Blu-Ray to be great.

If it's a film that was shot on an extreme budget (such as SOV Genre Films from the 80s), I don't need the quality to be great, just the film to be complete.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.