Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Studios Releasing DVD But No Blu-ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Here is an article from the UK that outlines the recent trend of studios releasing smaller indie titles on DVD while by-passing a Blu-ray release.
Are we seeing this trend in North America yet?

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/featur...t-not-blu-ray/
Old 10-01-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Re: Studios Releasing DVD But No Blu-ray?

For Television, it's a yes. Most Television shows are poor sellers on Blu-Ray, so they opt to go the cheaper route with DVD.
Old 10-01-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

But then they'll release the HD version via Digital, which works for me.
Old 10-01-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I just bought Werner Herzog's latest documentary Meeting Gorbachev on dvd because it wasn't released on blu-ray. In fact a couple of other of his recent docs (Happy People, Lo and Behold) haven't been released on blu ray in the us either.
Old 10-01-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
For Television, it's a yes. Most Television shows are poor sellers on Blu-Ray, so they opt to go the cheaper route with DVD.
I wish more studios would go the route of what WB does with some of their tv shows and release Blu-ray versions of seasons via MOD (Warner Archives). That way the option is still there, but studios only have to manufacture enough to meet the demand. Seems like a win-win scenario in my opinion. I know for instance WB has been doing that with the seasons of Young Sheldon.
Old 10-01-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Warner Archive seems to be backing away from that somewhat. They dropped iZombie, and they’re DVD-only for season 2 of Black Lightning. But they’re ramping up more nostalgic TV series, so I guess the market is there for one and content with Netflix for the other.
Old 10-01-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I remember looking for Blu-ray versions of This is Us, which is like one of the biggest shows to come out in the last few years, and finally settling on a streaming option.
Old 10-01-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
I remember looking for Blu-ray versions of This is Us, which is like one of the biggest shows to come out in the last few years, and finally settling on a streaming option.
Yea don't expect any TV on Blu-Ray from FOX (the studio who makes This Is Us) or anything from CBS. They've done pretty much DVD only on all their physical media TV releases.

Only thing about buying on digital is that the studio doesn't produce any extras for that format, not that they produce much anyways for DVD.
Old 10-01-19, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Not completely dvd-only. Bottom feeders like The Asylum went mostly dvd-only awhile ago, with only the sharknado franchise still being released on bluray.

To some extent, the really F-list garbage released by Cinedigm, Lionsgate and Vertical. (Vertical is distributed by Lionsgate over the past several years).

No point in releasing bottom feeder F-list garbage on bluray nowadays, when it will end up in the $2 bins several months later.
Old 10-01-19, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Does it really save them that much money to do DVD instead of Blu-ray? Surely the replication costs are practically the same these days?

Is it more of a case of, for these small runs of discs, they're only going to make one SKU, and so they go with the lowest common denominator?

Edit: I guess besides replication costs, licensing cost differences could be a factor. Especially as DVD patents are expiring as we discussed in the other thread.
Old 10-01-19, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Makes no sense to keep releasing regular DVD when even YouTube looks better now. I reviewed the series "Our Cartoon President" on DVD here and they had YouTube clips up to promote that release that looked better than the actual discs. If streaming really is killing physical media, let it kill the inferior format.
Old 10-02-19, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Is it more of a case of, for these small runs of discs, they're only going to make one SKU, and so they go with the lowest common denominator?
Another issue is whether any distributors are willing to carry the bluray version in large enough quantities.

With dvd/bluray declining, the bottom feeder movie companies know that they're not in a favorable bargaining position. (ie. They're not able to dictate any terms).
Old 10-02-19, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

It's odd how Blu-ray never really caught-on. For example when the industry sends out their "For Your Consideration..." samplers to the academy members for Oscar and Emmy Awards they are almost always on DVD, not Blu-ray. They are often beautifully packaged, much nicer than the retail versions, and yet the presentation itself is not even in High-Def. If they're sending these out as awards-bait, you figure they would make Blu-rays but they choose not to.
Old 10-02-19, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Yea don't expect any TV on Blu-Ray from FOX (the studio who makes This Is Us) or anything from CBS. They've done pretty much DVD only on all their physical media TV releases.

Only thing about buying on digital is that the studio doesn't produce any extras for that format, not that they produce much anyways for DVD.
Even when BD was big, though, they didn’t do shows on BD that were considered female-targeted, like Desperate Housewives.

Originally Posted by orangerunner
It's odd how Blu-ray never really caught-on. For example when the industry sends out their "For Your Consideration..." samplers to the academy members for Oscar and Emmy Awards they are almost always on DVD, not Blu-ray. They are often beautifully packaged, much nicer than the retail versions, and yet the presentation itself is not even in High-Def. If they're sending these out as awards-bait, you figure they would make Blu-rays but they choose not to.
That could be for accessibility, figuring people might be as likely to be watching on a laptop on a plane as on their home theater.
Old 10-02-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 615 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Not completely dvd-only. Bottom feeders like The Asylum went mostly dvd-only awhile ago, with only the sharknado franchise still being released on bluray.

To some extent, the really F-list garbage released by Cinedigm, Lionsgate and Vertical. (Vertical is distributed by Lionsgate over the past several years).

No point in releasing bottom feeder F-list garbage on bluray nowadays, when it will end up in the $2 bins several months later.
I have to give Walmart some credit in this regard, as they seem like the only mainstream retailer giving space to these kinds of titles, not all of which are F-list. I've seen a LOT of decent little films screened at TIFF end up getting DVD-only releases through labels like those noted, as well as quite a few others. Any time I visit a U.S. Walmart, I'm rather surprised at the sheer number of DTV titles lining the new release section, all of it stuff I see nowhere else. Even if a lot of it is no-budget, regional indie crap, at least there's still one non-online outlet where their work can face the public for a few weeks, even if only on DVD. As someone with an interest in these kinds of films, but less interest in streaming (just yet!), knowing that they'll end up in $2 bins (or more likely at Big Lots or Hamilton Books) down the road is a nice bonus.

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Don't know about the Oscars, but the Emmy Awards are phasing out DVD screeners in 2020 in favour of a members-only streaming service:
https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/18/...-good-in-2020/

The (Television) Academy's Frank Scherma says that the move will better cater to modern viewing tastes for its 25,000-plus members. Not to mention the cost benefits, since pressing and shipping all those DVDs wasn't cheap or good for the environment.This isn't the first time the Emmys have made noises in this direction, and previously partnered with Google to use Chromecast in the voting process. 2020's voting will, apparently, be the first time that no DVDs will be handed out to members, no matter how hard they ask.
Old 10-02-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Makes no sense to keep releasing regular DVD when even YouTube looks better now. I reviewed the series "Our Cartoon President" on DVD here and they had YouTube clips up to promote that release that looked better than the actual discs. If streaming really is killing physical media, let it kill the inferior format.
They're not going to kill a format that's selling the most units. Why would they?
The amount of people who don't have a BD player is huge, and there's still a chunk of people who don't have a 1080p TV. Release a title only on BD and you'll automatically lose a huge chunk of sales of those who can only buy DVD.
Old 10-02-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBang
Does it really save them that much money to do DVD instead of Blu-ray? Surely the replication costs are practically the same these days?

Edit: I guess besides replication costs, licensing cost differences could be a factor. Especially as DVD patents are expiring as we discussed in the other thread.
I have no hard facts on this but I'd think the number of people who own DVD players still outnumbers the number of people who own Blu-ray players. For instance, my wife is a teacher and there's no blu-ray player at school so she's not too happy that I've switched to UHD/Blu-ray/streaming format instead of Blu-ray/DVD (for the end of semester movie days). I told her try to get her to open up the network to stream this stuff instead but there's no way they're going to do that.
Old 10-02-19, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

As far as I know the documentary Electric Boogaloo was released DVD only in the US while it was part of a BD combo in the UK. The DVD can now be found at Dollar Trees around the
Old 10-02-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no hard facts on this but I'd think the number of people who own DVD players still outnumbers the number of people who own Blu-ray players. For instance, my wife is a teacher and there's no blu-ray player at school so she's not too happy that I've switched to UHD/Blu-ray/streaming format instead of Blu-ray/DVD (for the end of semester movie days). I told her try to get her to open up the network to stream this stuff instead but there's no way they're going to do that.
Which is kind of weird in my opinion, because it’s not like a Blu-ray player is prohibitively expensive or something. I suppose a lot of people just use what they have until it doesn’t work. You can get a cheap Blu-ray player fairly easily now days. I mean the format is thirteen years old and hardly new anymore.
Old 10-02-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

Which is kind of weird in my opinion, because it’s not like a Blu-ray player is prohibitively expensive or something. I suppose a lot of people just use what they have until it doesn’t work. You can get a cheap Blu-ray player fairly easily now days. I mean the format is thirteen years old and hardly new anymore.
Many people are more than happy with DVD.
Plus there are those who need the disc to be playable in different locations (ie. in the car for the kids, from their computers/notebooks, DVD player in other parts of the house) - so they would need to buy a BD player for each one of those locations to make the movie portable.

You have to remember, many people who have 1080p TVs are still getting SD content from satellite and cable - and they have no issues with how it looks.
Old 10-02-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Don't know about the Oscars, but the Emmy Awards are phasing out DVD screeners in 2020 in favour of a members-only streaming service:
https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/18/...-good-in-2020/
And they don’t even mention the pirating concerns! I think the change makes sense for many reasons.

I had a teacher friend ask about family-friendly musicals, and I mentioned the stage version of Newsies... but never released on physical media! Credit to their school, though, for having streaming access.
Old 10-02-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral
Plus there are those who need the disc to be playable in different locations (ie. in the car for the kids, from their computers/notebooks, DVD player in other parts of the house) - so they would need to buy a BD player for each one of those locations to make the movie portable.

You have to remember, many people who have 1080p TVs are still getting SD content from satellite and cable - and they have no issues with how it looks.
Heck, I don't even own a standalone Blu-ray player (I still use my PS3). We have the one for the main tv and otherwise, streaming it is (or ripping it to plex).
Old 10-02-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough on a lot of points. When it comes down to it a lot of people just don’t care that much about how they watch content.

I guess I just more meant that you can buy a a Blu-ray player reasonably priced, and even if you only have one player, if you purchase physical media (which, let’s face it is probably more rare now too) you’ll often get a DVD copy along with your purchase to use elsewhere.
Old 10-02-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

And how do you know this? You're making a lot of generalizations and assumptions. Who the heck still owns a 4:3, NTSC television in 2019? And even if you don't have cable and just use an antenna in 2019, all major networks transmit their signals in High Definition.

I've had DirecTV since 2003 and you don't pay anything extra for an HD signal, so your SD assumption makes no sense. Unless you're still stuck with a shitty 4:3 SD TV. Then yeah you can use the option for SD. But if you have an HDTV, which most in America have now, why would you?

I do agree that most of the Walmart crowd don't look for Blu-Rays for impulse movie buys.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-02-19 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And how do you know this? You're making a lot of generalizations and assumptions. Who the heck still owns a 4:3, NTSC television in 2019? And even if you don't have cable and just use an antenna in 2019, all major networks transmit their signals in High Definition.

I've had DirecTV since 2003 and you don't pay anything extra for an HD signal, so your SD assumption makes no sense. Unless you're still stuck with a shitty 4:3 SD TV. Then yeah you can use the option for SD. But if you have an HDTV, which most in America have now, why would you?

I do agree that most of the Walmart crowd don't look for Blu-Rays for impulse movie buys.
I think DirecTV still has an HD access fee or some BS like that. A lot of us got it waived with a promotion but I'm pretty sure they still charge that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.