Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release

Old 08-22-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release

I think Disney will take away the Fox opening from all six movies.

But I hope Disney keeps the Fox opening for the blu-rays and put it back fo rthe other five digital copy movies, only ANH has the Fox opening.
Old 08-22-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
Since Disney now owns Fox, any chance they will add back the classic 20th Century Fox opening to the original movies? They just don't seem the same without that opening when I watch them on digital.
Unlikely. It will more than likely just be the Lucasfilm logo.
Old 08-22-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Makes you wonder will they take out that 20th Century Fox fanfare from all films though? I mean I don’t understand why they couldn’t keep it there since it’s now a company they own. Even if they added a tag below with like “A Disney Company” or whatever. It’s a small thing, but I agree it is weird not seeing the fanfare.
Old 08-22-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Won't these releases in September just be the existing discs? I don't see Disney reauthoring them just to take out the FOX Fanfare or are you discussing the future UHD releases? I also doubt they are going to change the digital versions.
Old 08-22-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Makes you wonder will they take out that 20th Century Fox fanfare from all films though? I mean I don’t understand why they couldn’t keep it there since it’s now a company they own. Even if they added a tag below with like “A Disney Company” or whatever. It’s a small thing, but I agree it is weird not seeing the fanfare.
You shouldn't underestimate how spiteful Disney can be regarding the Fox acquisition. They've already made a very public spectacle of canceling every upcoming movie in development at the studio. They could have done that quietly and shifted projects around behind the scenes without issuing a press release boasting about how they're flushing all of Fox's crap and starting over. This is very much a shock-and-awe transition designed to shake up the entire Hollywood community.
Old 08-22-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You shouldn't underestimate how spiteful Disney can be regarding the Fox acquisition. They've already made a very public spectacle of canceling every upcoming movie in development at the studio. They could have done that quietly and shifted projects around behind the scenes without issuing a press release boasting about how they're flushing all of Fox's crap and starting over. This is very much a shock-and-awe transition designed to shake up the entire Hollywood community.
Was that spite or was that because they wanted to blame Fox for their shortfall in the quarter?
Old 08-22-19, 08:07 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Cutting the fox logo and fanfare is just spiteful film desecration. Universal now owns Vertigo and Rear Window, but they see the reason to retain the Paramount logos on those films.
Old 08-22-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In 2015, Disney released the digital copies without the Fox logo and fanfare for the five saga movies.

It's been the same for the TNT showings. Most people haven't noticed. But we're not most people.

ANH should be on Movies Anywhere next month. Disney probably will take away the Fox opening for it.

It'd be funny if Disney did release the OOT but without the Fox logo and burned in subtitles.
Old 08-23-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Was that spite or was that because they wanted to blame Fox for their shortfall in the quarter?
Why can't it be both?
Old 08-23-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
In 2015, Disney released the digital copies without the Fox logo and fanfare for the five saga movies.

It's been the same for the TNT showings. Most people haven't noticed. But we're not most people.

ANH should be on Movies Anywhere next month. Disney probably will take away the Fox opening for it.

It'd be funny if Disney did release the OOT but without the Fox logo and burned in subtitles.
I saw a theatrical showing of ESB a few months ago and it still had the Fox logo on it.
Old 08-23-19, 09:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Cutting the fox logo and fanfare is just spiteful film desecration. Universal now owns Vertigo and Rear Window, but they see the reason to retain the Paramount logos on those films.
But other studios have also removed old studio openings. I remember Terminator 2 and many other movies having the Pegasus horse opening of TriStar Pictures. It's no longer there. The rereleased Labyrinth movie did add it back. That's the only movie I can think of that still has that classic opening.
Old 08-23-19, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This happens even within a single studio. Warner Bros has a frustrating habit of removing its old logos to replace them with the modern WB shield. This really hurts some movies, like The Exorcist. The original transition from the red and black 1970s logo helped set the mood at the beginning of the film, and even had audio play over it that's been cut out from the current version.
Old 08-24-19, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

And that's enough for me to not buy a release. Given that, there's no way I've tolerated all the changes to Star Wars!
Old 08-24-19, 10:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
This happens even within a single studio. Warner Bros has a frustrating habit of removing its old logos to replace them with the modern WB shield. This really hurts some movies, like The Exorcist. The original transition from the red and black 1970s logo helped set the mood at the beginning of the film, and even had audio play over it that's been cut out from the current version.
I hate that Warner does this to their old classics. The new logo before those movies seems so out of place.
Old 08-24-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

I honestly don't care about changed studio logos and couldn't even tell you who originally released my favorite films most of the time. But I think they should be left alone for those who do care. Throw the new logo for whatever studio owns in now first or the new logo of the studio but then show the original where it has always been. But studios have never bothered to do anything correctly, most of the time they don't even include the original audio, so I wouldn't expect that to change with a new format.
Old 08-24-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Certain films I associate the studio opening with more than others I guess. It’s not something I’m always a stickler for. I do associate the Fox fanfare with Star Wars though.
Old 08-24-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I totally associate the Fox fanfare with Star Wars, so much so that every time I went to a new movie with the fanfare in front of it, I would jokingly whisper to my friend "Is this Star Wars?" as the fanfare played.

The fact that I can't do that anymore makes me sad.
Old 09-29-19, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk God

FYI
These new discs are barebones. All the extras will be on the digital copies included with the discs.

There is no reason to purchase this if you previously bought any of the previous BD releases. This is basically just new artwork and nothing else.

If you want digital copies, you might as well just get them off Vudu or ITunes.
Old 09-29-19, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
FYI
These new discs are barebones. All the extras will be on the digital copies included with the discs.

There is no reason to purchase this if you previously bought any of the previous BD releases. This is basically just new artwork and nothing else.

If you want digital copies, you might as well just get them off Vudu or ITunes.
The Star Wars movie blu-rays are all barebones, aren't they? The extra features, if there are any, are all on their own discs.

Wonder if this means the old 2+ disc versions of TFA, RO, TLJ, and SOLO will be going out of print...

Old 10-03-19, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I’m more interested to hear if there have been any more subtle tweaks to the movies. Still hoping they eventually get rid of Vader’s “noo” at the end of ROTJ. Brutal.
Old 10-03-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I would guess that these releases are just the existing discs repackaged.

They might do some kind of super-duper complete saga edition with I-IX next year when TROS comes out.

But even then, I wouldn't expect any changes to the older films. I seem to recall reading that, as part of the Lucasfilm buyout, Disney agreed not to further alter the OT or PT films.
Old 10-05-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm OCD so I gave in and bought the movies that are canon for me (I justified it as I have them all on my phone to watch when I travel now). I need the covers to be in uniform or it drives me crazy!
Old 10-05-19, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I’m more interested to hear if there have been any more subtle tweaks to the movies. Still hoping they eventually get rid of Vader’s “noo” at the end of ROTJ. Brutal.
If they ever got rid of at least that I’d probably consider buying the films on Blu-ray. That by far is my most hated change to any of the films.
Old 10-05-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still no release date?
Old 10-05-19, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ranger
Still no release date?
these are already out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.