DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/648366-star-wars-saga-disney-bd-re-release.html)

DJariya 10-05-19 11:47 PM

Re: Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13615387)
The Star Wars movie blu-rays are all barebones, aren't they? The extra features, if there are any, are all on their own discs.

Wonder if this means the old 2+ disc versions of TFA, RO, TLJ, and SOLO will be going out of print...

I know you posted this awhile ago, but I was at Best Buy yesterday and it’s indeed barebones. All the extras are on the digital version that comes with it.

The previous FOX box set had extras in the movie disc like the commentary track from Lucas. Then there was a separate disc for the extras.

Josh-da-man 10-06-19 01:57 AM

^ I hope that doesn't become a trend for all new releases.

Shannon Nutt 10-07-19 06:27 AM

My local Target is selling these for $20 a title - what a rip off (probably not Target, but Disney). You're paying for new art work. ;)

coli 10-07-19 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13619642)
My local Target is selling these for $20 a title - what a rip off (probably not Target, but Disney). You're paying for new art work. ;)

Not that I disagree, but Fox/Lucasfilm and now Disney/Lucasfilm has been doing this for years. They re-issue the movies with new cover art every 2-3 years on VHS, DVD, BluRay, so it is sort of expected at this point.

Obi-Wanma 10-07-19 03:55 PM

Has anyone watched any of these releases? Did they take the Fox Fanfare off of all of them?

E Unit 10-07-19 04:14 PM

Pretty sure that’s permanent now. These releases are by Disney, so it’s under their operation, meaning no Fox fanfare.

Obi-Wanma 10-07-19 05:45 PM

I know they took them off of the digital releases already, just curious if they bothered to mess with that for 2 reasons

1. They own Fox now, so it doesn't matter
2. Taking it out of the first 6 films is more work than I expect that they put into this particular release.

E Unit 10-07-19 08:41 PM

Well the new releases have the digital for the first time. So it would be weird if they used the same digital copy without the fanfare, yet keep it on the blu. This is just a repackaging, so no fanfare on with physical or digital.

Obi-Wanma 10-07-19 09:43 PM

A comment I read on bluray.com said that they had only watched Phantom thus far, but that it DID have the Fanfare.

joltman 10-08-19 08:01 AM

I'm sure they are the exact same discs that were in the 2011 saga set from FOX, which is why they would still have the fanfare.

milo bloom 10-08-19 04:57 PM

Yeah, it's unlikely they would bother remastering the discs just to remove that fanfare. They're saving that for the 4K release.

And since Disney bought Fox, why wouldn't they leave the fanfare on the older ones anyways?

Shannon Nutt 10-09-19 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13620701)
Yeah, it's unlikely they would bother remastering the discs just to remove that fanfare. They're saving that for the 4K release.

And since Disney bought Fox, why wouldn't they leave the fanfare on the older ones anyways?

The most interesting question is whether A New Hope will have it...since Fox had rights to that in perpetuity, but then Disney bought Fox...so can Disney replace the fanfare now?

story 10-09-19 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13620222)
A comment I read on bluray.com said that they had only watched Phantom thus far, but that it DID have the Fanfare.

Well, come on, who can trust that person?!

I saw these at Target for $20 each, too. This is such a bizarre release. There are going to be so many peg warmers when people pick and choose. I was surprised by how muted the artwork appeared to be on the shelf compared to other nearby titles, there's not a lot of "pop" to any of this. And add up the cost on all those, why would someone do this instead of a set? The release seems bound and determined to prey on uninformed consumers who don't know any better. Grandma will buy a Star War for a kid at Christmas and just pick one not knowing anything about the barebones bizarrity of this release. And I don't care if "bizarrity" isn't a word, it should be!

atrium 11-08-19 05:02 PM

So I'm looking into the 4K77 and 4K83 releases because, you know, I like to watch the real movie and not the dreck that George Lucas has been putting out since '97 (and yes, I own DVD copies of the original trilogy).

For those of you who have these versions, did you prefer the DNR or no DNR version? I'm not sure which is 'better'

edit: after looking into it more, it appears that DNR is better tv viewing experience, while no DNR is better if you want to project it onto a screen. In case anyone else has the same question

Mike86 11-08-19 06:17 PM

Almost thought about taking advantage of Target’s buy two get one free sale to pick these up. Kind of want to see what will be offered for a complete Skywalker Saga set eventually though.

E Unit 11-08-19 06:27 PM

I’m guessing we’ll see a few “complete saga” sets next year.

Mike86 11-08-19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13637106)
I’m guessing we’ll see a few “complete saga” sets next year.

Yeah. Although to be honest in most cases I prefer to buy single releases anyways. My other hang up is that they’ll release The Rise of Skywalker with a cover that doesn’t match the recent releases.

E Unit 11-08-19 06:51 PM

I’m curious myself to see what a complete saga set will be like. But if history is any indication, they’ll have multiple releases, each offering stuff “not previously seen”. I bailed after Last Jedi, and I have zero desire to see Rise of Skywalker, so I’ll just wait until see what they offer next year. I have the 8 on digital, so at the very least, I’ll buy the digital of 9 and be done with it.

Mike86 11-08-19 07:22 PM

As much as I bitch I’ll buy them all. I don’t have the first six at all but probably will finally break down.