DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Which is your favorite Blu-ray 3D? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/648242-your-favorite-blu-ray-3d.html)

OldBoy 07-27-19 06:01 PM

Which is your favorite Blu-ray 3D?

I don’t want to let the medium die just yet.

There have been some stellar, some average and some downright flat.

So no matter what region, which is your favorite to watch on Blu-ray 3D?

Again, doesn’t necessarily have to be favorite movie or even a good one, just favorite to watch on that slowly dying medium...

There have been some great animated, Moana recently stands out to me. Book of Life too, Marvel did some decent ones, DC certainly has. And others here and there. More often than not I’m less wowed by what’s been churning out, but grateful for the gems to come along once in awhile...

For me: Ghostbusters (2016). Hands down. The movie was ok, but bolstered by what I thought is the strongest to my eyes 3D Blu out there. The depth, the frequent and incredible popouts. That’s a 3D conversion done superior.

Yours?

E Unit 07-27-19 08:55 PM

Re: Which is your favorite Blu-ray 3D?

Ratatouille, hands down is still the best 3D out there by far - and my favorite.

Alan Smithee 07-28-19 03:13 AM

The Step Up movies are among my favorites, just because they show you don't need sci-fi, horror or action for 3D (they're all shot in REAL 3D too, none of that conversion nonsense!)

IDrinkMolson 07-28-19 07:09 PM

I have a lot, but right now it is Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

(Thunder and the) House of Magic & A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures, both by nWave studio. AMAZING 3D. Pretty good story too. Just get them.

Doctor Strange
Drive Angry
G-Force
Gravity
Kong Skull Island
Mad Max: Fury Road
Thor: Ragnarok
The Walk

Several animated movies are great, and I like a lot of the MCU ones.

Ghostbusters (2016) (and G-Force, and many others) has cool pop-outs outside the frame of the movie in the "black space".

I have Ratatouille (region B) but haven't watched it yet. Just got Captain Marvel too, but haven't watched yet.
No, I don't have Shazam (yet). ;)

OldBoy 07-28-19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 13585182)
The Step Up movies are among my favorites, just because they show you don't need sci-fi, horror or action for 3D (they're all shot in REAL 3D too, none of that conversion nonsense!)

Really? Think I have one of them in 3D and I have no idea why :lol: especially since I haven’t seen one and really no interest in series. Though I like good synchronized hip hop dance...

OldBoy 07-28-19 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 13585417)
Ghostbusters (2016) (and G-Force, and many others) has cool pop-outs outside the frame of the movie in the "black space".

Ghostbusters only one I’ve seen with those popout of black bars. Be interested in more. Surprised about Ratatouille. Seems like it wouldn’t be that conducive to 3D effect, but I’m intrigued now...

PerryD 07-28-19 07:33 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was probably the last time I was really wowed by a 3D movie.

Josh Z 07-29-19 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13585430)
Ghostbusters only one I’ve seen with those popout of black bars. Be interested in more.

As far as I'm aware, the only movies with frame-breaking VFX in the letterbox bars are:

G-Force
Ghostbusters (2016)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Life of Pi (mostly a 1.85:1 movie, one scene that switches to 2.35:1 with frame-break effects)
Pixels
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (similar to Life of Pi)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

IDrinkMolson 07-29-19 01:13 PM

They have a nice list going over at BR:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=286604

OldBoy 07-29-19 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 13585746)
They have a nice list going over at BR:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=286604

good list. thanks for posting. def have to check out Life of Pi and Sin City: ADTKF even though the movie sucked balls...

Shannon Nutt 07-30-19 06:39 AM

Best non-animated: Hugo

Best animated: Brave

Alan Smithee 07-30-19 12:11 PM

The Glee 3D Concert Movie is a nice change of pace also, although that has several backstage and interview segments shot in 2D. Same for the One Direction movie- it's a guilty pleasure.

Life of Pi is a great example of a GOOD movie using 3D effectively without any alleged gimmickery- watching that in 2D is like watching it in black and white.

faust69 08-01-19 09:04 AM

Hugo is probably best live-action 3-D. For animated, probably Rio 1 or Book of Life.

davidlynchfan 08-12-19 12:42 AM

Metalstorm - Destruction of Jared-Syn