Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you ever think you値l watch all the movies in your collection before you die?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Do you ever think you値l watch all the movies in your collection before you die?
Yes
23.40%
No
72.34%
Other (please specify...)
2.13%
What are you high?
2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-19, 07:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I know this may sound morbid and I have no intentions of dying anytime soon, but at this point I’m just collecting rather than watching. And, by the time I get to watching something else will come along, like 4K and then something else. Blu will become obsolete and then extinct. And who knows the future of these digital collecting sites like MA and Vudu.

So, I really thought about. And with well over 2,000’s blus (not counting my hundreds of un-watched dvds collecting dust now), I seriously doubt, that in my lifetime, I will have watched every single one in my collection, physical or digital. That’s like crazy to me and yes, downright idiotic. I mean what’s the point? But, I really just don’t think I will.

You?
Old 07-01-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Do you ever think you値l watch all the movies in your collection before you die?

I seldom blind buy, so I have watched almost all already. Many more than once because there are certain films I re-watch annually. Almost every St. Pat's I watch the Quiet Man and/or Darby O'Gill.
Old 07-01-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Do you ever think you値l watch all the movies in your collection before you die?

I will watch everything in my collection at least once from the point of purchase, but with 2700 titles between vhs, dvd, blu ray and UHD 4K, there are definitely titles I probably won't watch again in my lifetime. I try my best to weed those titles out of my collection though.
Old 07-01-19, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a huge collection anymore. Back in my dvd collecting days I was backed up on movies. When blu-ray came out no way was I going to repeat the same process of repurchasing/double dipping. I think I might have one or two movies I forgot about that are still new in my collection. I would have to dig in.

With 4K I have not bothered much at all collecting. I think I own 4 movies in 4K.
Old 07-02-19, 05:32 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I already have. Currently watching most of them (except the newest ones) for the 3rd time.

Edit: I take that back. I've picked up a few new movies recently that we'll watch within the next week or so, and one or two I'll save for our October Halloween Movie Month extravaganza. (Wish I could change my vote to Yes)

Last edited by kd5; 07-02-19 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 06:03 AM

My too watch pile is about 5500 out of 10,000and i buy more everyweek so realistically no i wont watc h them but i watch about 20/25 a week so hopefully ill get to most of them. I have no interest in 4k so it makes it easy there
Old 07-02-19, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

nope, but I have begun the rewatch, and like my record collection, it's nice to grab the movie when you are in the mood, more and more things have left the standard streaming services (netflix and amazon) so you have to pay for an online copy to view. So I feel better about my collection after searching for a few different movies online and realizing I have to either rent it, or find my copy.
Old 07-02-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The ones I haven't watched, I'll purge soon. I was stupidly caught up in blind-buying stuff back in the heyday of DVD.
Old 07-02-19, 11:24 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

not a chance. But maybe my kid will enjoy my collection of discs when she's old enough to care.
Old 07-02-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe so. I'm also hoping to live to 114 which will help.
Old 07-02-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe. If I live to 150 years, possibly.
Old 07-02-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope!
Old 07-02-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Within reason, no I won't be able to watch everything at least once. To watch everything would take an unhealthy amount of time sitting in a dark room watching movies.

Given that, I just enjoy the fact that I own certain movies regardless of whether I watch them or not. It sounds crazy but I think of them almost like baseball cards which you don't "use" but they're fun to collect. I like looking at the artwork and packaging and it's also nice knowing that I have a wide variety of titles to choose from.
Old 07-02-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a lot but I have cut down tremendously the last year though some movies I might never open since I regret buying them and don't want to watch them anymore
Old 07-02-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
The ones I haven't watched, I'll purge soon. I was stupidly caught up in blind-buying stuff back in the heyday of DVD.
I think we all were. Heck, I still am. I just bought a bunch of 60s-70s Italian films during the recent Arrow BOGO.
​​​​​
Old 07-03-19, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have down sized a lot from the days of just blind buying because it was a new release. I have about 130 DVD/Blu, and I only have about three I got last Christmas that I haven't watched yet.
Old 07-03-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I'm pretty close to 100%. The biggest stumbling block for me is that for a few years there, I was buying every single Criterion release that came out, and right around the time I got engaged, I wound up not watching the majority of the Criterions I was grabbing. Some of those I'll probably never get around to watching (although I am good about watching the handful I continue to get during the big sales!).
Old 07-03-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have boxes and boxes of DVDs I'll probably never watch again.
A few years ago I donated a ton of 'em, as well as CDs, to the public library and wrote them off my taxes.
With the BDs, I may not have watched some of them, but I have watched the MOVIE before (rental or stream).
I have thousands of BDs now, and at my age it's doubtful I will watch all of them again.
Old 07-03-19, 01:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

There’s a small chance I will, but very small. I never bought anything with the intent of not watching it, but for 20 years I bought more than I watched, building a huge backlog.

And now, while I buy much less and will probably watch everything I buy from now on, I stream most of my viewing now. I average maybe 5 films a month on disc, and even if I focus on un-watched films, I’d have to live into my 100s.
Old 07-03-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a chance. I'd have to lock myself in a room and watch them non-stop for 20 years - that is, if I live for another 20 years. These days, it's great just to have access to the movies I love.

Last edited by mike7162; 07-06-19 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-04-19, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hear you guys...
Old 07-04-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably not. And I don’t see my kid really enjoying them. He’s 12 and a child of the digital age and like my wife he prefers streaming for tv and movies and digital downloads for games.

I’ve really eased up on disc buying and want to work on purging the chaff.
Old 07-04-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot I bought to never open or watch like steelbooks and store exclusives.

I think Toy Story 4 and Once Upon a Time on Hollywood might be the only summer movies I will buy since I have heard bad things about Dark Phoenix and the others I will pass on.
Old 07-08-19, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes. I've probably watched 99% of my collection already. I may have a scraggler or two in there but my physical media collection is down to only a few hundred. That OCD component to stocking up on shit and never watching it does not exist in me. I don't hoard shit.
Old 07-08-19, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

fffuck no, not because I've got a ton, it's just there are some I refuse to watch ...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright ゥ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.