Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you ever think you値l watch all the movies in your collection before you die?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Do you ever think you値l watch all the movies in your collection before you die?
Yes
23.40%
No
72.34%
Other (please specify...)
2.13%
What are you high?
2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Do you ever think you値l watch all the movies in your collection before you die?

Old 07-09-19, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do you ever think you値l watch all the movies in your collection before you die?

I have seen every movie I own. That being said, I haven't watched every disc I've purchased.
Old 07-09-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Do you ever think you値l watch all the movies in your collection before you die?

Yes I have already. Have I watched each one multiple times??? No, but every disc has been watched at least once.
Old 07-09-19, 06:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Yes I have already. Have I watched each one multiple times??? No, but every disc has been watched at least once.
d2cheers to you sir.
Old 07-09-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I will likely not. However, I will have a casket made out of my Criterion Collection and be buried in it.
Old 07-11-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I definitely could. I never bought huge quantities at a time. Even during my hay day of buying DVDs I would only buy one or two a week. That gave me plenty of time to watch them on the weekend before buying one or two more. My usually routine was - buy new releases on Tuesday, watch them on Friday or Saturday. Rinse. Repeat.

I have a handful of movies I致e picked up that are still unwatched but not an overwhelming amount. If I felt so inclined, I could catch up with them over a weekend or two.
Old 07-12-19, 11:02 AM

Great existential thread. As I've aged, I'm defintiely more picky about what I buy and can sell/trade/donate movies much easier than in the past.

I think anyone checking "no" needs to do some serious evaluation on their lives.

If you're literally buying things you will likely never use/watch, you are wasting time, money, and passion.
Create a temporary moratorium on buying until you're caught up. You'll save money in the sense that media usually just gets cheaper as time goes on.

I'm sure realizing you won't be able to do things you want to do is also depressing. Double edged sword.
Old 07-15-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lipid View Post
Great existential thread. As I've aged, I'm defintiely more picky about what I buy and can sell/trade/donate movies much easier than in the past.

I think anyone checking "no" needs to do some serious evaluation on their lives.

If you're literally buying things you will likely never use/watch, you are wasting time, money, and passion.
Create a temporary moratorium on buying until you're caught up. You'll save money in the sense that media usually just gets cheaper as time goes on.

I'm sure realizing you won't be able to do things you want to do is also depressing. Double edged sword.
Please do not bring Common Sense into the conversation.
There's no room for that here.
Old 07-17-19, 10:43 AM

of course that makes sense Lipid. but easier said then done. it can be like an addiction...
Old 08-03-19, 12:27 PM
Cool New Member

I already have - multiple times in the cases of some films or series.

I never understood the concept of having a backlog. Is it not standard practice to watch a DVD or Blu-ray shortly after purchase?

I have to assume some of you are buying bulk stock. Myself, I have to look over (or research) an item meticulously before I decide to purchase it. I've made too many impulse purchases in the past that I've regretted somewhere down the line. And that's the very reason why I arrived at DVDTalk in the first place.
Old 08-03-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will try and think I could and should. Have about 2,100 items in my collection (box-sets count as 1). Those huge season sets will be the toughies.
Old 08-03-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have watched all of my movie and TV collection several times. I feel I got my money worth. I did get rid of a bunch of stuff recently that I realized I wouldn't watch often enough to justify the space but even those I watched more than once probably. Not having a life has its ups sometimes.
Old 08-03-19, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I have watched all of my movie and TV collection several times. I feel I got my money worth. I did get rid of a bunch of stuff recently that I realized I wouldn't watch often enough to justify the space but even those I watched more than once probably. Not having a life has its ups sometimes.
How many movies and shows we talking?
Old 08-04-19, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
How many movies and shows we talking?
Looking at my shelf I have 45 movies on BD and UHD and 11 full seasons of TV shows on DVD and BD. I have probably owned around 800 movies over the years and probably 25 full series of TV shows. I know that is still small compared to most people. I can think of only only two titles that I did not watch that I ended up selling and those were the Zatoichi and Lone Wolf And Cub Criterion sets.
Old 08-04-19, 07:19 PM

Oh ok. That’s a little easier to accomplish as opposed to almost 4k...
Old 08-04-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Looking at my shelf I have 45 movies on BD and UHD and 11 full seasons of TV shows on DVD and BD. I have probably owned around 800 movies over the years and probably 25 full series of TV shows. I know that is still small compared to most people. I can think of only only two titles that I did not watch that I ended up selling and those were the Zatoichi and Lone Wolf And Cub Criterion sets.
I知 afraid to count how many discs I have between DVD/HD DVD/BD. Thousands. Several.

Fuck. I haven稚 even touched an optical disc in years. They are essentially worthless now.
Old 08-04-19, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To you perhaps. Those who have collected for years still watch them on a somewhat regular basis. There's still a ton of movies on discs that are not available on digital.
Old 08-04-19, 10:05 PM

I didn't count the several hundered DVDs and over a thousand CDs that I lost in a robbery in the late 1990's.
Old 08-05-19, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, because I have watched them all...I only buy what I will watch, hopefully over and over again.