DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   David Lynch's Lost Highway (6/25/19) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/647999-david-lynchs-lost-highway-6-25-19-a.html)

Why So Blu? 04-05-19 11:54 AM

David Lynch's Lost Highway (6/25/19)

Looks like Kino is releasing Lost Highway on BD June 25th. No word on extras. KL posted on their FB page this morning.

Josh Z 04-05-19 12:08 PM

Re: The One and Only Kino Lorber and Olive Films Blu-Ray Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13528538)
Looks like Kino is releasing Lost Highway on BD June 25th. No word on extras. KL posted on their FB page this morning.

No mention of whether it's a new transfer or not. The existing Blu-ray copies from Europe and Japan are kind of lousy.

dex14 04-05-19 12:11 PM

Wow. They’ve really been going after Criterion type films lately.

Hazel Motes 04-05-19 02:32 PM

I feel like Lost Highway is collectively the most desired title across the internet Blu Ray community. Criterion has knocked all their Lynch out of the park. I hope Kino doesn't fuck it up.

Josh Z 04-05-19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13528559)
Wow. They’ve really been going after Criterion type films lately.

Considering that Lynch has been working closely with Criterion lately, this seemed like one that ought to wind up with them.

Adam Tyner 04-05-19 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 13528553)
No mention of whether it's a new transfer or not.

It doesn't sound as if Kino Lorber led any remaster of this. If it is a new(er) remaster, it presumably would've been something the licensor would've tackled themselves. The response from Kino Lorber Insider:

LOST HIGHWAY

We acquired the rights last year. We did reach out to the filmmaker. And that's all we can say about it.

The transfer is a very good one, we watched it and it looks great. We're trying to clear three extras and hope to list the additional details next week.
...which doesn't really answer the question, but maybe that's because they don't actually know. Also, Kino Lorber reports that another label has Inland Empire, they tried and were unable to license The Straight Story, and the domestic rightsholder (Paramount?) for The Elephant Man wasn't willing to license it.

Why So Blu? 04-05-19 03:06 PM

I don't trust Kino enough, so here's hoping that Eureka snags the UK edition - I'd import that in a second.

Josh Z 04-05-19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13528679)
I don't trust Kino enough, so here's hoping that Eureka snags the UK edition - I'd import that in a second.

"The transfer is a very good one, we watched it and it looks great" doesn't really instill me with much confidence. I'm guessing they licensed it from MK2, which was the source of the European and Japanese Blu-rays. The transfer is not very good. It needs a new remaster pretty badly.

Dan 04-05-19 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 13528724)
"The transfer is a very good one, we watched it and it looks great" doesn't really instill me with much confidence. I'm guessing they licensed it from MK2, which was the source of the European and Japanese Blu-rays. The transfer is not very good. It needs a new remaster pretty badly.

yeah. I have the Australian BD and it's... Really not good. If this hasn't actually been remastered, then it's a hard pass.

Josh-da-man 04-05-19 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 13528724)

Yeah, they’re not going to come out and say it looks like shit.

OldBoy 06-20-19 06:45 PM

any extras announced for Lost Highway? coming out Tuesday and no site, not even KL lists extras...

skywalker8 06-20-19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13567958)
any extras announced for Lost Highway? coming out Tuesday and no site, not even KL lists extras...

I looked into this and found a reddit thread that explains what happened. A historian commentary was recorded but was scrapped. It’s barebones with maybe just the trailer.

OldBoy 06-20-19 08:03 PM

Really? That’s disappointing. I’m just have to find my some region dvd copy. Have no idea where it is, but I think it was a SE with cool black cover (edit: it’s the Edition Limitee, maybe France? From mk2, if that means a thing). It has extras. I’m gonna be be searching crates and sweating ass of this weekend trying to find that one). Too bad no extras considering recently released Lynch films have had good extras and even Criterion blus...

Why So Blu? 06-20-19 08:49 PM

The Lost Highway BD not having extras is old news.

Josh Z 06-21-19 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13567994)
Really? That’s disappointing. I’m just have to find my some region dvd copy. Have no idea where it is, but I think it was a SE with cool black cover (edit: it’s the Edition Limitee, maybe France? From mk2, if that means a thing). It has extras. I’m gonna be be searching crates and sweating ass of this weekend trying to find that one). Too bad no extras considering recently released Lynch films have had good extras and even Criterion blus...

As I recall, the French DVD and Blu-ray of Lost Highway had some press conference interviews, and maybe an EPK featurette. Nothing too exciting.

The UK Blu-ray includes a collection of short films from the defunct davidlynch.com web site, all of which were ported from DVD in standard-def. The shorts had nothing to do with Lost Highway, and were all terrrrrrrrrrrrrible.

skywalker8 06-21-19 09:14 AM

One of the DVDs had an interview with Lynch from like 2004 or 2005, plus the press kit interviews.

stvn1974 06-22-19 03:57 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...0853a460aa.png

I am sure Kino really appreciates this.

OldBoy 06-22-19 05:19 PM

Criterion here we come!!!!!
glad i have digital HD to hold me over...

melasnus 06-22-19 05:41 PM

David Lynch's Lost Highway (6/25/19)

A new Lost Highway BD is coming out Tuesday.
Lynch does not approve:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/da...ay-1202152275/

dex14 06-22-19 08:03 PM

I don’t see how it can come soon if Kino has the rights currently.

Ringmaster 06-23-19 12:23 AM

Kino probably has the rights to Lost Highway for at least 3 years. I'm making that guess based on Twilight Time's licensing in the past. It's not an issue that can be addressed for a while.

Dan 06-23-19 12:38 AM

Canceled my order for Lost Highway.
Maybe a UK label will release a restored version in the meantime.

Hazel Motes 06-23-19 03:50 AM

Looks like my dvd will live on a little longer.

dex14 06-23-19 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster (Post 13568746)
Kino probably has the rights to Lost Highway for at least 3 years. I'm making that guess based on Twilight Time's licensing in the past. It's not an issue that can be addressed for a while.

That was exactly my thought and comparison too.

Josh-da-man 06-23-19 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 13568624)

Does anyone else hear Gordon Cole's voice as they're reading this?