Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you ever get frustrated not being able to find a physical copy of a movie in your collection?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Do you ever get frustrated not being able to find a physical copy of a movie in your collection?
Yes
38.46%
No
38.46%
What are you high?
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Do you ever get frustrated not being able to find a physical copy of a movie in your collection?

Old 06-13-19, 10:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I've posted pictures. have all blurays in these nice spaced plastic drawers. holds nearly 100, i think.

anyway, for some reason was doing some research on OldBoy (original) or just saw my preorder at Amazon.uk for new bluray version in August, but knew i had US blurays, just didn't know which ones.

so i found i had the LE Blucased Vengeance Trilogy which basically has everything. 3hr doc on OldBoy, 2 versions of Lady Vengeance (fade to b/w, the preferred, in mine and Park's opinion), etc...

But, i checked DVD Profiler, saw i had the Trilogy set. then, i really wanted to see it all from beginning, starting with Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.

So, i preceded to look for it. 45 mins or so later, went into profiler to see what # in collection and when purchased and others bought around same time since i would group them like that, sometimes. i gave up. went through everything! i took a breather, but really was curious, i mean i checked every drawer, the shelves where i display some, my draw dedicated to just movie collections. nothing. one container in storage room, where i have some, nada.

then, i remember i had my SteelBook™ phase (still a very teeny bit) and would swap out some DVD's that came out in SteelBook™ for the current blurays (that used to mostly, only come in Blu keepcase) in what was usually a 2-disc DVD SteelBook™.

I have a dedicated SteelBook™ (Bluray, though some DVD case size because import DVD) drawer, knew i imported OldBoy and Lady Vengeance DVD SteelBook™. even though i looked in those drawers, but knew wouldn't be there bc case was not SteelBook™. then i saw the 2 SteelBook™ cases in with my Blu-ray SteelBook™ caaes for OB and LV and it clicked. opened it up and sure enough, the Tartan LE Blus were inside. Phew!

But, fuck it was an hour i lost of my time. it's nearly 11pm EST and i have yet to wind down bc i must write yet another inane thread.

so, yeah, that is why i love building my digital collection. i have more than half converted or bought or redeemed or whatever and would just prefer to watch digital and glad i have the physical for the extras that are usually not all or not at all, eventhough i rarely watch, sadly in some cases, but whatevs. physical is just so much easier and less hassle. usually i have a good penchant of remembering where i have them since i search them enough for various sometimes.

so bottom-line, does it frustrate you sometimes and sometimes do you not even find them?
Old 06-13-19, 10:25 PM

Re: Do you ever get frustrated not being able to find a physical copy of a movie in your collection?

Yes.
Old 06-13-19, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do you ever get frustrated not being able to find a physical copy of a movie in your collection?

Not really, though my collection is so large at this point that parts of it are stored away, where accessing them on a whim is difficult.
Old 06-14-19, 07:37 AM

I have over 10,000 movies and i keep a alphabetical list and arrange them in alphabetical order and if their in a set i mark that and keep the sets of multiple movies in the beginning before the singles so its super easy to find things. Its all in orginization
Old 06-14-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I can't find my own copy, for whatever reason -- which doesn't happen -- then I look for it on streaming services. Still not available? I'm not above torrenting it. Fuck it. I already paid for and own a physical copy, they aren't losing any $$$ and I'm certainly not distributing it to others.
Old 06-14-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes.

Very frustrating.
Old 06-14-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
If I can't find my own copy, for whatever reason -- which doesn't happen -- then I look for it on streaming services. Still not available? I'm not above torrenting it. Fuck it. I already paid for and own a physical copy, they aren't losing any $$$ and I'm certainly not distributing it to others.
Same here.

If it's a dvd most of the time I check the streaming services first and usually 80 percent of the time no one has the movie.

I schedule everything (most of everything) at the beginning of the year so I have no excuse for not finding anything but I have memory loss issues which means a lot of the time I forget what the packaging looks like and if it's maybe in a boxset or not.
Old 06-14-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A while back my BIL asked me to grab him a DVD copy of Fight Club if I saw a used one for cheap. I thought I would give him my original 2 disc DVD set and upgrade to the Blu. I scoured my collection. Went over every shelf with a fine tooth comb and it was gone. It's been a few years and I've never found out what happened to it.

I ended up buying a used Blu for myself and a used DVD for him, but I still wonder about that original copy I bought new based on all the internet hype about the movie.
Old 06-14-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From time to time, but not too often. Which is fairly impressive since I've got stuff stored in about 6-7 different places.
Old 06-14-19, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I lost my copy of Hannibal season 3 for like a year. Eventually I found out it had fallen behind a box on my shelf. But it was frustrating for awhile.
Old 06-14-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It has happened, and I have fewer than 1,000 DVDs and BDs combined. Another thing I hate is buying two copies of the same DVD or Blu-ray by mistake.
Old 06-21-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, but only for a couple reasons.

A. I lent a movie out so long ago I don't remembe to who or when.
B. I forgot I sold movie X thinking I wouldn't rewatch it
Old 06-22-19, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It took maybe 45 minutes to find my Apollo 13 Blu-ray